I have no idea what breed my rabbits are. Any ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttons Mum

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just hoping that someone may know what breed my bunnies are? The male Bobbin looks a lot like his dad and the mum was an albino that the owners found on the side of the road half dead. They think she may have got out of the local garden centre that was selling rabbits, but when they asked the garden centre denied ever having an albino so she may well have been wild. They have very big eyes and I love them. Thimble my female (and new mum of 3) is the black one and Bobbin is the Brown/ mottled one. His darker patches around his face were lighter in summer and as his winter coat grows in he's getting darker. I've added ina pic of my big beast Button who is the grey (otter??) French Lop who I love and is just an enornous beast. All the cats in the neighbourhood are scared of him. Apart from one lovely little grey cat who likes to sit next to his hutch and stare at him!

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

CIMG3837.jpg

top two are crosses of some kind.

I would guess that the crosses are dwarf crosses of some kind. Maybe Polish and Netherland Dwarf?

The French Lop is not an otter. Otters are NO WHERE in the larger lop genetic pool. It looks like a blue gold tipped steel.....

Button reminds us of our Ted--he would sleep anywhere, at anytime. He sort of has the color of our boy Pete who is a Chinchilla. However, Pete has black striping at the ends of his ears and very dark eyelashes as well as that black highlighting elsewhere.

May i ask how much does thimble weigh? She could be some sort of dwarf mix but with that odd triangle shaped head and those big eyes i might ask is this a Brit? How is her disposition? She could be a polish if the disposition is a calm cuddly rabbit because that is definitely not a brittania petite lol

I think bobbin looks like a cinnamon rabbit

Thimble weighs about 2lb or 1kg. She's a very scatty rabbit, not that keen on being handled, but once you get her she loves it. She's a very protective mum, doesn't let you anywhere near the babies!

I have googled cinamon rabbits and it does look a lot like Bobbin. His dad looked exactly the same but a bit bigger and his mum was an albino (or do you say REW?) and she was almost exactly like Thimble is now. (but white obviously!) Bobbin is just as scatty as Thimble but a little easier to handle and a little easier to calm down.

Thanks for the help.

Ok because of the hyper attitude I would check out some Britannia petite pictures. My Brit is rocky he is very sweet if your holding him but will jump in a second and is a fast little bugger. They do have rew and black Brits so maybe a possiblity? The breed is known as crazy little wild bunnies but as always there are exceptions.

The chances of any of them being Brit's are slim. They're not commonly sold as pets, and many breeders take pride in breeding meaner/twitchier Brits.

The big, bold eye is also very common of Dwarfs and even Polish, which would be more common and likely mixes.

This is true that odd breeds are not common as pets but its not unheard of. Especially with brits being the size they are(max weight 2 1/2lbs). It could be that she is just a bad mannered polish. This temperament would be more common with a netherland dwarf(if thats the dwarf your talking about) but i dont think with that head its possible. The eye isnt bold enough the head is really bad for a dwarf and the fur looks more like a flyback coat (which is the recognized coat quality for a Britannia and a Polish) Netherland dwarfs have more of a rollback coat. This is what concluded me to think that. The temperament is what made me think more Brit because is is not a docile bunny which polish are normally thought as.

I have to admit I am very offended that you said Brit breeders take pride in breeding a mean rabbit. If we can say this then why not say thats what dwarf breeders are going for or even Mini Satins. Ive heard they have the nickname Mini Satans and this must be no coincidence. Being that I own a brit, i can honestly say he has never bit me or anyone who has ever handled him this includes judges who mess with him over a course of three days. And i know that i would never brag about how my brit can take off your hand with one lunge Nor would i ever hope to breed that in my herd. Brits are among the oldest recognized breeds in the ARBA and are said to be bred from wild rabbits which give them this more wild attitude. Its unlikely breeders intentionally bred this for their rabbits. I hope your saying that because you just met a bad brit breeder.

Latest posts

Back