I have babies, really really need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya, thanks for all the advice. I have cleanedthe hutch out (not the nest tho) and put another water bottle on at alower height. Have also put a little box in and the middle of a looroll, and i bought some little cat balls with bells in them.

If i was to bring the babies in on a blanket, like suggested would i have to bring thier mum in with them to??

Anna xxxx

No, mom doesn't have to come.

What I would do was let mom out in for a run (penned off section of myliving room), and then take the babies for a little while.

Mom's are normally pretty trusting, expecially if she knew youbefore. But I've had to problems visiting with babies of myfoster moms. Who had never met me untill they came to myhouse with their babies.

--Dawn

hello,

so my babies are roughly 3 and a half weeks old now and are the custest little things i have EVER seen!

But one of them doesnt seem totally well. well hasnt seemed well forabout 2 or 3 days. While the rest have been racing around and exploringand what not the little white bunny has suddenly got really quiet. Justsitting in the corner looked tired all the time. If i pick it up itsstill got 'kick' in it, but it just doesn't seem to be as active as therest. I know that digestion with solids n that can be a problem in babyrabbits and was wondering if maybe thats what up with it. How can itell if this is the problem and what can i do?

many thanksss

anna xxxxx

yeh its the same size as all the rest and isjust as fluffy. It was the smallest but i think now it is actuallymarginlly bigger than the rest

anna xxxxx

Can you get a look at his bum? Does it look like there are any mushy poos stuck to his bottom?

When in doubt, you can give him some pedialyte (electrolyte drink fordehydrated children). It won't hurt, and it should help perkhim up.

It may also just be his personality. In a litter,not all babies are brave and love exploring. Some just preferto be lazy, and are content to lounge around.

--Dawn

he could be just lazy, my last litter was thelaziest bunch of kits ive ever seen, they didnt move far from therenest box until they were 6 weeks and even then they had no choice cus itook it out:bunnydance:
if the weather over in england is as bad as it is here this week i wouldnt move either:colors:

haha yeh the weather is pretty pants here!!

pedialyte (electrolyte drink for dehydrated children) - can i just get that in the chesmist or will i need to go to the vets??

There is no mushy poo on him or in the hutch anywhere, but i think hisbelly feels a little bit bigger than the others do, maybe bloated??

You could be right about him (or her i dont know yet, but i don't like to call them 'it')
being lazy. I keep finding him sitting away from all the others aswell...not very sociable!

I'll keep a close eye though and let you know how he goes.

thanks

Anna xxxxx

hi again

ive just been out to see them and he actually doesn have mushy poo onhis bum, its a bit of a mess. none of the others do though.

what can i do to help him feel better...is it worth taking him to the vets, if it is i will asap.

anna xxxxx

Does it seem to be true diarrhea or mushy cecals?

Here's a few articles that have some causes of both. It maymean a fast trip to a vet, though. In the meantime, reallytry and get the Pedialyte just at a pharmacy, asap. You haveto keep the baby hydrated. If you can't get there right away,try a little diluted juice or even justwater carefullyadministeredin a dropper or syringe..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Hopefully somebody else can contribute here with more knowledge of baby problems.

Good luck, hope he's okay... :pray:

sas

so i went to the vets, all 5 came with me, and ginger.

They have all had injections of Panomec for worming the vet said.

The little white baby, the poorly one has got an infection in itsintestines. The vet has given me some bananna flavored Septrinpaediatric, to have 15ml a day for 10 days. just got to hope theinfection hasnt spread anywhere else, the vet said it has about a 50/50chance so fingers crossed. ive also got some baby food from the vets togive the little bunny. I thought it was as big as the rest, but the vetsaid it is actually a lot smaller, just looks as big because its morefluffy and has a bloated tummy.

if he starts getting better then hes got to go back next week foranother check up and to get more medicine the vet said he would need tobe on it for up to 4 weeks. i just hope to god the little bun will beok. seemed to enjoy his medicine though, bananna flavour and thenenjoyed its baby food! i think thats a good sign that he wants to eat.

So its touch and go for the time being.

i must say though, i am thouroughly pleased with my vets, they reallyseem to know thier stuff about bunnies. and there is a nurse there whoi was chatting too who said she had 4 rabbits that are 3 yrs old thatshe had handreared from when they were 4 days old. i told her minewhere born unexpectedly and she said to me that if i am ever stuck ordon't have time to look after them, or give them thier medcine oranything at all, just to go back and ask her and she would be more thanhappy to help. she really knows her stuff about bunnies and i feel safetaking my babies there.

white baby - who am now calling snuggle-bunny,coz it loves to snuggle up to me, made it through last night, and islooking a little brighter this morning.

Has had two doses of its medicine now, and loves it as it is flavoured,when its all gone it chews the end of the syringe to try and get more!

I have also been feeding and watering it 3 times a daythrough a syringe to try and get it going again. And im optimisticbecause when i give it the food and water it again chews the end of thesyringe as if it wants more, im hoping doing this will give it a bitmore strength.

it so wants to hop around and explore but is just a little two weak andwobbly at the moment. Its nice thought because all the others seem torealise this and always snuggle around it, and wash it.

so its just about TLC now, hopefully i'll see a little improvment everyday...but its still not out of the woods yet

oh yeh and i think its a little girl bunny, but not being an expert imnot 100% sure, but from what a can tell it seems to be female.

anna xxxxx

Sorry I missed this before!

Im glad to hear your little one is doing well. She sounds like such a sweetheart.

Thats great that your vet seems to know lots about bunnies. Its alwaysgood when they give you flavors of meds that bunnies love (like banana).

Keep us posted and I'll be praying for your little one.

Keeping the baby well hydrated and fed is always a good idea.

Can you give baby some pedialyte (a drink for dehydrated children)? This may help to perk baby up some more.

Being eager to feed is always a good sign! I've found thatthe first indication that a baby is not going to make it is when itstops feeding. So keep encouraging baby to eat and drink!

I love how baby siblings always seem to know that one baby is notfeeling well and needs lots of love. I put a very sicklylittle guy in with an unrelated litter, and everyone immediatly startedgrooming and snuggling him all the time. He would always beright in the middle of his foster family. It was very sweet.

I'll be thinking of this little one, and praying she makes it.

Please keep us updated!

--Dawn

aww, im so glad that shes doing well, (if it is a she) i am also praying that she
survives!:clover::pray::clover:
how are the other babes?

luv babyb and lu:bunnybutt:

hi!!

Little bunny is seeming a LOT better. She has just been in for a feedand was eating the food of the spoon, and was inafct trying to eat thespoon, i didn't have to syringe feed her at all, except to make sureshe got a little water!
She has also had some pinapple juice because the vet told me it wasgood for her digestion, and i'll tell you what she LOVES it!!
She has been doing poo's that are a lot less mushy now and are almostlike they should be! I bought some small animal antiseptic wipes toclean her bum with (top and tail i think they are called) to stop anybacteria spreading from where it got a little messy.
I can tell now how much smaller she is that the rest of her brothersand sisters now she isn't bloated like she was before, plus they havegrown SO much over the last couple of days its unbelievable!
And not to leave them out they are all fine, getting through tonnes offood and water but are all happy and healthy. they have all been downin the run today, its amazing how fasy they can run, and how muchenergy they have! Even the little poorly white bunny went into the runwith them and had a little explore around.
She actually seems to have a little bit of a funny leg, i noticed whenshe was in the run she was a little wobbly and on closer inspection itseems she isn't using one of her back legs properly. But she has to goback to the vets on thursday for a check up and to get some moremedicine so i'll ask him to take a look at it for me. But i'm not tooworried because it doesnt seem to be hurting her, i just want toconcentrate on getting her tummy all better!! I think the vet will besurprised at how much better she is now, because he wasn't veryoptimistic when i took her in before.
Like i keep saying she isn't out of the wood yet, but is cetainly a little fighter!!
Anyway to finish off i took some pics of her at feeding time today i thought you may like to see, and thankyou for your concern!

DSCN1624.jpg

Eating off the spoon
DSCN1623.jpg

DSCN1622.jpg

DSCN1621.jpg

Theres pinapple juice in the glass!!
DSCN1620.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

All snuggled up in my boyfriends coat! ( did a couple of poo's while in there hehe!!)

Anna xxxxx

Aww, what a cute little sweet heart!

I'm so glad that she's doing better, and even playing a little bit.

I love the picture of her with her little head in the glass drinking the pinapple juice!

--Dawn

awwww, shes adorable, so tiny and fluffy!
so glad shes getting better, sounds like there all very happy buns!!!!

babyb n lu:bunnybutt:

WOW! Your so lucky! I want one! :) Shame its alittle too far for me (my dad lives in Ringwood and we go tonorthampton quite alot but its too far for a bunny to travel i think!)

They're gorgeous, looks more like a blessing than in issue! That one ofthe little snuggle-bunny with the cute face actually made me giggle!

Amazing!

Latest posts

Back