I have a question.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieNCream

Reaction score
Some of you might know from this other thread that a girl I know got two rabbits.

Her mom told me that the person who sold them (for $20 each) said thatthey are 5 months old and that they won't grow big. But they aresmaller than my palm (from description)!

You all know that I'm not an expert, but one of them looks likeCookie&Cream and the other is all brown and looks like a wildrabbit. When I got Cookie&Cream and showed you guys the video,I was told that they should be about six weeks old. So I guess nowthey're over ten weeks? I don't remember the exact date. And they got aLOT bigger!

Is there breeds of rabbits that don't grow (like teacup puppies fordogs?)? Or could it be that the girl&her mom were tricked? I'mscared that if they were, and they don't like big rabbits, they mightabandon them or something. :(

Well, I do know that the dwarf breeds remain quite small (about 2lbs), but other than that, I'm not sure.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the Rabbitry section for you, asthe people there will be much better suited to give you advice onbreeds. :)

ah thanks! never thought of that =P

yeah so again, is there such breed? maybe 3/4 size of your palm at 5 MONTHS old. thanks!

i'm not sure because i haven't really seen them, but i'll ask her....

they are completely different colors. if there's no suchbreed, the bunnies are probably about 4 or so weeks old, right? oryounger?

No, there are no rabbits that stay thattiny. Your babies are a dwarf breed, and Netherland Dwarfswould be a little bit smaller. But a 1/5-2lb rabbit would beas long as my hand, fingers included, and a 5 month old dwarf should beabout that size as they're nearly full grown.

I think they got scammed and bought 4 week old babies. Youshould probably warn your friend that they might be really sensitive totreats, veggies, any new food because they are so young and theyshouldn't change food unless they really need to for another month ortwo.

Edit: Netherland Dwarfs do come in agouti (wild colored).

Yup. Wild color looking.

100_4349.jpg

Size comparison- Mocha at 6 months.Weight at 4.5 months was just under 2 lbs, full adult weight at 1 yearwas just over 2 lbs. She is a Polish, possibly mixed withNetherland.

432ba1d.jpg

And she was probably a little larger than my palm when I got her at 8 weeks old.

Hhaha I bet their second bunny is about that color (the brown one)...that bunny is so adorable!!!

=) I told them that they shouldn't feed them veggies or fruits just yet(even I'm not feeding those to my bunnies yet...thinking of applepieces though) and that they shouldn't hug them too much. But she saysthey never struggled...0-0 I've never had a case where my bunnies didNOT struggle. :shock:

Yeah, I think they got scammed, but I'll ask for pictures and/or morevivid description just in case. I would love to see them, but she'sjust a kid at my parents' ed center....hopefully someday I will seethose cuties. =)

-add-

Yeah, I think they got scammed. The person who sold them said they were 5 MONTHS old, and they're supposed to be a LOT smaller.

OH, I was referring to the brown one...while I was typing the second pic was posted. =P They are both adorable, though.

Much of that struggle/no struggle comes from their breeder and how they are treated from a young age.

Mine are held almost daily from a very young age and they are very used to being handled.

If you didn't hold them and pet them - they would feel neglected.

But I breed for socialization and temperament as well as body type,e tc.

Peg

CookieNCream wrote:
and thatthey shouldn't hug them too much. But she says they neverstruggled...0-0 I've never had a case where my bunnies did NOTstruggle. :shock:

How cute!!!

Whoa, that's his(her?) adult size? Cream's only like ten weeks old and I think she's bigger. 0-0;;

But then again, I'm not sure of her and Cookie's breed.

I'm very surprised at their adult sizes. How small!

But the girl's bunnies can't be that breed, right? Because the sellersaid they were five MONTHS and they are the size of 3/4 my palm.

Okay, updates!

I just saw a little video of them eating their food. Can't upload it to MY computer, though. =P

They have small ears, and one of them (the black and white one) looks alot like Cookie's size when I first got him. And together they prettymuch resemble these bunnies:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=wPreiJMW6KQ&mode=related&search]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wPreiJMW6KQ&mode=related&search[/ame]=

Ooops, I mean this:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9x5mUjbH8]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9x5mUjbH8[/ame]

:D The bunny on the left looks like the brown one the girl got.

Latest posts

Back