I have a dog kennel I'm thinking of transforming it into a hutch. Does your bunny like this hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
I want to do a design similar to this only bigger. Belldandy lives in my kitchen currently (floor is easiest to clean in that room).

Does anyone have one of these hutches and does your bunny like it? Opinions please.

hutch.jpg

That is a neat hutch... I would get it if I were to do an x-pen all the way around it, for more free time. Same goes for a dog kennel

What are the dimensions you're looking at? (kennel and this hutch?)

currently I have the kennel and I'll have to build the hutch. I really like this style though. The kennel size is 36"L x 24"w x 27"h.

I'd at least like to have it 18" off the ground and the enclosed par to the hutch 14"L x 24"w x 27"h

the kennel not only has a door that swings open on the front but also one on the side. I was going to remove the side door all together so she can move from the enclosed part to the caged part. I was also thinking of putting something like linoleum or vinyl flooring in the enclosed part so there is a waterproof barrier on the floor. The cage has a plastic tray.

I had one expect the door opened to the side not down. I liked it the top opened and the two doors on the front. But if you have a kennel why don't you just use that.

And maybe build a stand for it. Storm could jump from ground to cage.

I had a perminate ex-pen around the cage and storm had free rome in that pen all the time cause the cage was to small.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=42778&forum_id=6&page=1

If you check out the first two pages of my old blog. You will see Storms cage.

I liked it but personally I would just use the kennel and Storm now has a new Pet giant cage that I am pretty happy with

I wanted something on wheels that could be kept up off the floor. Also something that could be moved out in warmer weather or while we are on vacation. Right now the kennel sits on the floor and it gets very very messy and hard to clean under. Also I noticed that if I put a box in the kennel for her to play with she will sleep in it and hang out there during day hours. So we wanted to give her a dark space for her to hang out in when she was pinned in and then offer her a ramp for when we are home so she has some roaming room.

I actually have that same exact hutch! My buns love it! I actually bought the larger one (as shown in your post) for my buns when they grew bigger and gave the small one ro the third bun. I'd give that hutch a thumbs up.

I also connected x-pens to each hutch.

I'm not sure how the hutch is related to the dog kennel? If you want a hutch, you're probably better starting from scratch than trying to convert a dog kennel.

I would add a shelf to the kennel to make the most of the height and a box for hiding in. You could just use a cardboard one or build/buy a wooden one. You could just sit it on a low table to increase the height. As long as it's just a low table a box to jump out on would be fine for most fit rabbits. They have quite low trays so if you add a 6" corex/perspex strip around the base it will reduce mess :)

I'm converting the dog kennel into a hutch. Using the kennel as the caged part. I will be building it.

Stone_family3 wrote:
I'm converting the dog kennel into a hutch. Using the kennel as the caged part. I will be building it.

Nice! The 'hidey spot' and the ramp are musts.

Take pictures! :camera Love to see how you do it.

sas :bunnydance:

I know this is crazy but if building that hutch is goin to cost you over 80 bucks maybe you could just buy a pet giant.

Its looks like you let your bun out enough.

You order them off pets mart.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=54026&forum_id=93

Here is the thread about Storm I will say this Storm is a Netherland Dwarf and sense I have to put his litter box on the bottom he does not have a huge amount of room. Its good because we let him out all day and he only sleeps in there.

After getting things the way Storm wanted them he does not have a lot if room. But Storm has tons of toys compared to some buns. I have heard that from a lot of people

My husband is a wood scrap hoarder so we have a garage full of wood that can be used. We were thinking of instead putting a shingle roof on it like in the picture to replace with a tin roof. We have a nice shaded spot to put it in in the back yard for when she goes out back.

One of the rabbits I pet sit for uses that cage. Its a pretty nice design. The wire floor side has a tray underneath for easy cleaning and the hide box side is fairly big. I also like how the door folds down to make a ramp. The cage isn't very big though. If you had the cage+a xpen then it would be perfect.

Latest posts

Back