I....hate...FLEAS!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Deja vu....

The bunnies that have been out to run just picked up fleas! (Fen andIzzy) I totally cleaned that whole run after Bunbun had trouble, andhere we go again! arrrgh

Fen had them bad (he's dark so it's harder to see them, and he was outrunning a couple days ago), but Izzy looks like she just picked up oneor two today. All three lops got thoroughly and immediately powdered,and I'll have to do some flea combing. Izzy will love it, but Fennywill hate me. Pandemonium is clear so far but got treated anyway. Ichecked Izzy yesterday and she was clear, so I think it's early enough.

I'm at my wit's end. I want them to be able to get out and play, butit's impossible to keep fleas out of an outdoor run!What I need is asafe flea repellent. Melaleuca oil worked wonders on Bunbun, so I thinkI'm going to put a drop on them when I let them out each time. Itsmells pretty powerful, and seems to work similar to liquid fleatreatments from the vet (but safer!!!).

The babies, who are not big enough to be let out, are all clear as faras I can see. I can't powder them, so I'll have to be really vigilantabout keeping them clean. I can use melaleuca on them if I need to.Garlic powder and/or powdered brewer's yeast might work if thatdoesn't. Anyone have success with a non-chemical flea repellent??

I do know, I'm NOT going back to that awful vet that killed Bunbun, andI'm not going to use liquid chemical flea treatments.Icouldn't stand to lose Izzy or Fentoo, from astupid mistake.

grrrrrr.....:X:X:X:X

well, anyway I caught it early and it should be ok. Poor guys. Theywon't get to run until I figure something out and they get rid of allthe fleas.

Rose

Dollop of 1.87% Ivermectin horse worming pasteevery 10 days for three treatments should kill the current fleas anddiscourage others for that period of time. Works onother parasites like fur mites and some intestinal worms as well, Ibelieve.

Buck

Oh, Rose! Bless your heart! Iposted some weeks ago that my beloved Sherman caught fleas while wewere away and he was with his bunnysitter.

Our bunny-savvy vet recommended Advantage and we used it with excellentsuccess. Within minutes the fleas started to die and sureenough at the end of the 12-hour cycle they all were gone.The few that lurked in the carpet and furniture would jump on him as heplayed around and they too were taken care of quickly. We'vehad no residual problems.

I can understand though you not wanting to use a chemically-basedproduct after your experience with our precious BunBun.

I remember Pam mentioning Sevin Garden Dust (I think 5%) as aremedy. She's been using it for years on the buns that shebreeds with good success and without any ill sideeffects. She also recommends kitten fleapowder. Here's a link to that thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=787&forum_id=1&highlight=Sevin+dust

Please let us know of your progress and what products you're finding to be effective.

Good luck to you and the babies!

I'm using cat powder, an old standby that USUALLYworks. I'm going to try some natural powders instead of the seconddose. If that doesn't work, back to the powder! What I really need issomething to keep the fleas off in the first place!!! That's why I'mhopeful for garlic powder, plus it's good for them. Hopefully will helpFen's immune system as he licks it off.

I hate that powder, I always get it all over me too and it can't be too healthy for either of us.

How are you dong, BTW?? :)

Rose

You're so sweet to ask, Rose! Doinggreat and enjoying your periodic updates of Baby 1. I tellyou, I just love that Baby1. She and Sherman are kindred spirits ... he's "old school" and she's"new school". Good thing that theydon'tlive near each other. They'd be COMPLETELYrunning things! LOL! :)

Uh-huh, let's make sure they never get together and rule the world!!!!:shock:

Isabella (baby 1) is being a bit moody last I heard, liking to hide inher cage when they try and catch her! But then when they turn aroundshe comes boinging out. And she does binkies--something Abram has neverseen--and they called to ask if that was normal, as they couldn'tbelieve their eyes! hehe

And she works real hard at getting on the couch!!!!

Rose

LOL! Looks like Baby 1 is getting herown kingdom established over there! Oh, I can't wait to readhow things progress! :D

Latest posts

Back