I got myself a weird one... =P

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Um...

Ashton keeps eating the cat food. I say "No!" And scoot his butt over but he goes straight back to it when I turn my back. Houdina loves to eat beside Ashtonwhenhe is eating his food so I would like to avoid putting her food out of Ashton's reach. Why is Ashton eating it? :?I thought they were herbivores. Lol. Any ideas on how to stop him?

lol. bunnies like wierd things. you can try to give ashton a favorite treat of his. like move him across the room and put a really yummy treat for him. if he goes back to it, hes just odd.

well, considering what is in cat food, and rabbits systems are based on hay and fiber and stuff dont let the bun eat much

Hmm, Butter would always try to eat my kitten's food, too, so I don't think it's thaaat weird. :p I didn't like him doing it though, since the first ingredient is chicken, so I put it up on the couch. There's raised food bowels, though, if you don't wanna move it. I see them at Petco and PetsMart around where I live.
http://www.trendypet.com/
They're for dogs, but you can get small ones too. (Like the ones for Pugs and such) Then Houdina can still eat next to Ashton...just...a little higher ;)
Hope that helps

~Diana

Hmm that's an interesting idea... Not sure he wouldn't manage to find a way to it anyway :pBut hopefully Houdina will eat quickly enough for him not to get to it. I don't let him eat it... Just never thought I'd have such a determined bunny wanting cat food :?Lol. But then again, Houdina eats the hay. :?Lol. Weirdos :shock::p

Okay, so after reading that a rabbit will eat catfood this brings to mind a tale I was told. I don't think I ever really believed it but hey, why not ask?

Someone told me that if you let a rabbit eat a meat product, they will turn into a omnivore or carnivore. I imagine you'd have to let them eat alot of it for this to happen but...they also said that if this happens, the rabbit will get mean and aggressive. It will attack and try to eat living flesh. I can't see any rabbit doing that frankly but.....that's what I was told.

Hahaha Lumi tries to do the same thing. i have my 2 cats and Lumi coming at me when filling the cat bowl. My bf wanted to take a picture of the trio and I'm yelling at him "If people on RO saw this they'll think I'm letting her eat it!!!" ...yes, I talk about RO constantly in real life especially because of me soon to be getting 2 flemish buns.

We are having to keep a close eye on Dennis as he has taken a liking to the dogs biscuits!! he even ignores his water bowl to go drink out of the dogs am now having to keep the kitchen door shut!

Darfi wrote:
Someone told me that if you let a rabbit eat a meat product, they will turn into a omnivore or carnivore. I imagine you'd have to let them eat alot of it for this to happen but...they also said that if this happens, the rabbit will get mean and aggressive. It will attack and try to eat living flesh. I can't see any rabbit doing that frankly but.....that's what I was told.
Sounds like an old wive's tale to me. ;) A very far-fetched one. Rabbit's bodies simply are not designed to eat meat. If a rabbit, for what ever reason, began to eat only meat, it would probably die. They just cannot digest that type of food. Though, I guess, if a rabbit becomes malnourished, it may, in some cases, become aggressive, but not as a side affect from eating meat.

That's a rather strange one. I've never heard that one before. :)

Rachel.

Here's an idea...and forgive me if you've thought of it or it's already been suggested...I'm REALLY tired right now, hehe!

Maybe start feeding Houdina on a table, or in a room the buns don't/aren't allowed to go in?

Sorry... Been really drained.

Like I said, they enjoy eating together and I want them to have each other for company (yes, even though I am home). Anyway, I'm not gonna start putting Houdina's food on my table or whatever. That's not how I work. So I will find a way to teach Ashton that it's a no-no.

Ok so I gave Houdina her food and Ashton his but he ran straight to the cat food. Weirdo :pAnyway, I put up a fence between them and that seems to be too much of a hassle to jump over (even though he jumps over it waaaaaaaaaay too easily) and get to hers. So they are still eating together and at the same time but they have a NIC fence in between :p

Darfi wrote:

Few people fail to realize that rabbitswill eat meat and can digest it quite well.

Does eat the placentas of their young - and that's a lot of meat, especially if the doe has a large litter! Does have even been known to devour an entire kit (or more).

It's also not unusual for rabbits to eat bugs and other small, living creatures. In rare cases, rabbits will even devour their own flesh.

Of course, the rabbit's dentition indicates that their primary diet is that of an herbivore ;)

Pam

I have read in wilderness adventure stories about jackrabbits eating meat that carnivores have left behind. I never knew if that was real or not.

BTW, my friend's lop doe likes dog food, I thought it was weird at first too.

The people who used to live across the road from me had a meat-eatiing rabbit. It was in ok condition apart from having a bit of head tilt :?, which they did not wish to treat it for.

It's diet was scraps of veg from the local fruit storre, and pastries and sausages etc.

Latest posts

Back