I got him!!! :D

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboodles

Reaction score
Today I got my first rescue bunny. I named him Chance. I really really wanted to take Sugar also but I couldn't, she was beautiful! I believe a rescue organization from Sacramento is coming tomorrow to take the rest of the bunny's
the lady said there is a lot of them. They would not let me see the Grey bunny even tho he was there.

The rescue/adoption went ok I think as to be expected, I asked many questions. They in no way help with spay or neuter of any rabbits only cats and dogs, and as far as nail care I was told to use regular toe nail clippers on Chance. I donno I am a bit scared to myself. I am hoping to get his toes clipped when I get him fixed next month all at the same time. I was also told I needed to get Chance a salt lick, I did not know about a salt lick.

Another thing that she mentioned to me is that Chance has been on nothing but pellet food. No hay or anything. Sometime they would give him lettuce. Could chance become dependent on rabbit pellets? When I got Chance home he did eat some hay but not much and used his litter box a few times. Took a long long time for him to drink from his water bowel and I was starting to get worried but he finally started drinking from it a little.

The past few hours I have noticed he seems I don't know angry? I have a heavy glass bowel I dumped it almost tossed it? I can't explain it. His littler box I have a cat box the one with a sifter in it filled with pellets he was trying to take it apart now is this normal? Is he angry? Scared? What I did I zip tied the little box, he also stopped using it, and I have another dollar store littler box so I filled that one also with wood pellets and added some hay, on the other end of the cage, I have a 2.5 C%C cage, as for the water dish I crabbed my crock pot dish and put water in that so he will not spill it. For toys I have 2 balls with a bell and a chew ball thingy. He was also tossing a spare grid around earlier also. Right now he is laying on his tummy. I think he is a great rabbit. I really do adore him. Do I let him out everyday or leave him alone for a few days to adjust? Or wait till he is neutered. I still have his piece of paper they had above his cage I don't know why they gave it to me but it says neglected and abused. I talk to him all the time. I say hi Chance whatcha doing and if he lets me I try and pet him. I also sit with him as well As soon as I figure out how I will post some pictures.

:bunny17:

No need for a salt lick, but definitely give him unlimited hay. An all pellet diet can be very unhealthy. Throwing things around and tearing stuff up sounds like normal rabbit behavior. He probably just isn't used to all the space and fun stuff and is enjoying himself. It's a good sign he's relaxing on his stomach, that means he isn't too scared. You can let him out to play with you so that he bonds to you, as long as he isn't too terrified.

Congrats on your new bunny!!! It sounds like he's settling in nicely. You don't need a salt lick, because the salt is in the pellets (the pellets contain everything your bunny needs as far as nutrition). Hay to munch on is always a good thing, and won't harm him. I can't wait to see pictures!!

Pellets provide the nutrients, but hay is needed to keep the digestive process moving along.

Shelters, though, are stressed & overcrowded, so can only do so much. They clearly don't know much about rabbits.

Laying on his stomach is a good sign; he's relaxing.

Do you have any idea of his age, especially whether he's full-grown or not? He doesn't sound like he's in the hormonal period. If he's clearly past that stage & not being hormonal [spraying or humping] you might want to forgo the neutering, if he's going to remain an only rabbit. Spaying prolongs females' lives, but there isn't much difference for males. Instead you might want to start with a vet checkup of the teeth, get his nails trimmed, check the anal sacks, etc.

Congrats on your rabbit!!

Yes, same advice Orlena gave, hay is NEEDED for digestive help. Let him have unlimited access. If he has been filling up on too many pellets, sometimes they won't eat their hay. Do you know how much he weighs? That would give you an idea how much pellets to feed.

Depending on his age (if he isn't a baby) you should also introduce some fresh veggies to his diet. Do it very slowly and one at a time to watch for diarrhea. Do not feed iceberg lettuce. Agnes gets romaine, bok choy and parsley, occasional kale.

The chewing and digging and rearranging is very normal. I've never been a fan of water bowls for that reason. Many people on here use them fine but i prefer water bottles that hook on the outside of the cage. I have two for Agnes.

Sounds like he is adjusting well. I'm from the mindset that to bond with a bunny go very slowly and almost "ignore" them at the beginning. You can still let him out but sit on the floor and read or something and let him come up to you.

I think it is a good idea to neuter even if passed the hormonal stage. Males have a tendency to mark and spray all through their lives and they smell WAY worse if not fixed. They make all around better companions neutered in my opinion.

Again congrats! Can't wait to see pics!

I posted two pictures of Chance up I took then yesterday. I do not know how to post them in forums tho. I think they are in albums. Today I got up I think he had a fur ball? He does not appear to be wanting to be in his littler boxes no more he is laying on his stomach right now ears up poop everywhere! Now that I think of it I don't think it was a fur ball he is a black rabbit. I will call the vet and see if I can get any advice. Chance is almost 9 pounds they weighed him right before I left the shelter yesterday. In fact they said he was the biggest rabbit that shelter ever had according to one of the ladies. I am hoping to also bunny proof my apartment today and hopefully let him out for a little bit. I am nervous he will pull up my carpet I live in a old masonic lodge building. I will be putting all my electronics in my bedroom including laptop, desk, and unused, bulky tv, so this will leave the living room open for Chance. I will probably make a different post later regarding bunny proofing. I know about the cord covers I will pick some up next month. Later on today I will be picking up some veggies. I am thinking kale and maybe some celery?

Ours love cilantro, dandelions, Italian parsley, romaine lettuce, parsley, and they get a little bit of apple in the morn and a piece of carrot in the PM. We also give ours unlimited orchard grass--we quit timothy hay as it's dusty and I'm allergic to it big time. Rabbits like to play, and not always with their toys--I take the bowls out pretty quick or else they will get tossed around. Mine are good hay eaters and I only give them pellets at night and take out the bowl in the morning. Welcome to the forum. We use photobucket for pics and post them from there.

Here is Chance
0716121422.jpg

0716121409.jpg

He's a handsome fellow.

Kale is not something that a rabbit should eat a lot of. Lettuce [not iceberg] is good to give daily. Parsley is great also. Celery needs to be cut across the strings, so the strings aren't in long pieces. And it's mostly water, so I don't give it too often.

I also have some trays of wheat grass growing most of the time. You can buy them already-prepared I think, but it's really easy to do it myself. I started with a bag of wheat berries [grocery store, health food store, online, local farmer, etc], some of which will be cooked cereal this winter. Anyway prepare the potting soil in a container with drainage & a tray under that. Then sprinkle on some wheat berries [4-8 per square inch]. Push them firmly into the soil & add more soil so the berries are mostly covered, but not more than so you can't see the berries at all.

Keep the soil moist but by misting so the seeds aren't washed away. Once the wheat grass is 4-6" tall, cut off all but about an inch or 2 & give to your rabbit or refrigerate until they're needed. You can do this a few times until the new growth becomes sparse & you have to replant.

Latest posts

Back