I got a new baby!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
babydoshia wrote:
Sorry I dont mean to interupt your thread, but I dont feellike making another one.

Pamnock, is it possible for a baby to be slow growing at first and thencatch up to regular size? The lady I am getting my bunny fromsays that right now they are about 3-4 lbs and they are 8 weeksold. She says they are very small compared to previouslitters by that mom. Is that really small for a 8 week old oris it still ok? She said that the mom was a slow grower butis now 15 lbs.

If you know, what weights should a flemish giant weigh at certainages? If you can list both male andfemale that would be nice as to I am not sure of the sex yet.

Yes, a smaller rabbit can catch up. It often depends on theparticular lines. Some are known for being smaller boned andnot making senior weight -- a common problem when breeding large sizedrabbits. It's possible that particular doe is simply gettingolder and the quality of offspring is decreasing. A 15 lb.weight for a Flemish doe is not impressive, as she's only a pound overthe *minimum*. Out crossing and breeding to larger bonedFlemish can help to increase overall size. If the bone isn'tthere -- the size won't be there either.

The size of 3-4 lbs. at 8 weeks is closer to that of standard fryerweight for commercial breeds that weigh an average of 10 lbs. atmaturity. (they are approaching 5 lbs. by 10-12 weeks).

I don't have a growth chart for the Flemish, but juniors (to be shown)must weigh a minimum of 6 1/2 pounds, so I would expect a 4-5 month oldto weigh at *least* that much. The intermediate class is byage, not weight -- however senior (8+ months)Flemish bucksneed to be a minimum of 13 pounds and does a minimum of 14pounds. This gives you a general idea of the *minimum*weights.

The Flemish are simply massive -- wish I could have seen the look on mydaughter's face when the writer at the judges table told her she'dbeexamining 30 Flemish Giants! It's rather tough tolift and examine that many huge rabbits, especially for those of us whoare shorter and attempting to work on a table that's too high for us --really does a number on my back!

Pam

I'm not Pam (;)) but I have had some bunnies thatstart slow. Bub is a Palomino that started as one of two runts, butcaught up fast. He's still growing like a weed. I've noticed that thesmall size of babies doesn't mean they will be small adults--sometimesthey are, other times not. Bub's sister was a big baby and is stillhuge....Fenwick wasa fat massive baby and ended up tiny (3lbs).

Bub is only 9 wks and already is about the size of Fenwick (adult).

Good luck with the baby next week!

Rose

Thanks Pam. I think your right aboutthe getting older part. The breeder said that the mom used tobe 17 lbs when showing but is now down to 15. The male is nothers but I assume if she was going to be using a stud from someone elseit would be a big one since the mom is smaller. I'm sure minewill catch up. If not, its not a big deal, I'm not showing orbreeding him/her at all. S/he will be my loveable little pet:D.

Thanks again, it's nice to talk to someone who knows the breed standards well. Your a judge right?

-Madelon

babydoshia, congratulationson your Flemish Giant! I am rapidly becoming an advocate forthem. Sandies are beautiful too. I'm just morepartial to the grays and steels. They are loveable, loveable,loveable! Hopefully I will be getting a new FG in the spring when abreeder I met will be starting to breed her FGs. She told methat FGs have a harder time breeding in the summer months.

Pam, Bubba has been shown before, butapparently he just doesn't make the grade against the other breeder'smale. I'm thinking about breeding him. I'm just notsure yet. There are only 3 FG breeders in Texas, and one ofthem is going to start thinning out his FGs and start concentrating onhis smaller breeds. Everytime someone sees Bubba they say"good eatin!"I apparently know lots of "hicks"!!!:D Their eyeballs get huge :shock:and their jawsdrop to theground
o_stupid.gif
It's really amazing.

Carolyn, Apollo is huge and gorgeous!!! The beast is appropriate!!

babydoshia wrote:
Thanks again, it's nice to talk to someone who knows the breed standards well. Your a judge right?

-Madelon

Yes, ARBA Judge #806:cool: Mydaughter has applied for an ARBA registrar's license. Shepassed the test, worked under 3 judges and still has to finish thefinal requirement of working with an ARBA registrar and obtaining theirendorsement. We've been busy all summer, so hopefully she'llfinish up this fall. She'll be eligible to take the Judgestest in 2 years. It would be so cool to judge at showstogether.

Pam

dmmcnair,

The Flemish are such a beautiful and impressive breed. I lovethe graceful sweep of their type -- the semi arch body is such a workof art!

I think you'd enjoy breeding them -- they are breath taking.

Pam

Back