I got a 2nd bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I brought a new bunny home. He is a very young dwarf rabbit. I've been told he's a boy but he's too small for me to tell yet. He's definitely not neutered as he's so young.

I set up a play pen for him next to my first bunny, Kirby. Kirby is 2.5 years old and the gentlest rabbit there ever was. I just wanted to hopefully give him a friend to play with. I know it doesn't always work out but I hope they can bond one day.

This little guy is very active as I would expect from a baby. I haven't even named him yet. I don't know what his personality is like yet.

What's the best way to get them feel good about each other right now? I think that eventually he will need to go in for neutering and it might make sense to not try to bond them until then. Is that right?

Any advice for the two of them?

I've never had a baby bunny before! But I already got some alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay in addition to the timothy hay we already have for Kirby. They have separate everything right now. But I also just discovered that the little one is so small that he fits in between the play pen fence wires:X(And therefore he can squeeze out of his area and into Kirby's!) So I need to go and get him a cage ASAP today or I won't be able to go to work tomorrow!

Here's a picture of him :)

P1020971.jpg

I got to petco in time to get him a "my first home" cage. It's plenty of space for him to be locked up in when I am not at home. He can stand in it with plenty of headroom. We got him his own hay bucket, water bowl, pellet bowl and litter box. He's so tiny, I got everything tiny size to fit :DWhen he grows out of the cage, I plan to just let him run around in a 2nd play pen next to Kirby's. Hopefully when he's bigger and neutered I can try to get them bonded so they can both share a bigger space.

I still haven't named him :?

there is no telling what Kirby would doto a baby rabbit. may be Ok until the little guy gets older but then again you just cannot know.
I would keep them near each other but not try to bond them until the baby is older and neutered.
even then it is harder to bond 2 males than females.
How does Kirby behave with the baby in the same room?

Make sure you get fencing that the baby cannot get stuck in; it is amazing how they can fit through small spaces including bars of a cage.
if you are in doubt whether the baby could fit through something then just automatically correct it because it would be tragic if something happened

the baby is very cute
you never know; could be a girl.............

Oh, my Kirby is smitten. He has been sniffing in the baby's general direction ever since he got here. Kirby usually only binkies in the morning but I saw him binky quite a few times since the new arrival. I think Kirby is excited to have a friend. I had suspectedthat Kirby was a bit bored when both me and my husband are working (which is often).

I know I shouldn't, but just to see how they'd react to each other I put the baby in Kirby's play pen for no more than 60 seconds to see if they'd amicably sniff each other. There were no signs of aggression from either one. But then the little one got curious inside a hidey house and Kirby followed him in. Kirby might have frightened the baby, feeling cornered. Baby took a mouthful of Kirby's fur and Kirby promptly ran away. I scooped the baby up right away and put him back in his area.

Kirby's sort of a wimp :DBut he's gentle and loving that way. Even after that he's been binkying around and sniffing at the baby. The baby doesn't seem to care either way. He's acclimating much better than Kirby did when I first took him home (less scared, much more willing to explore).

My game plan is to take the little one to the vet to figure out exactly how old he is and how close we are to being able to neuter him... or maybe discover a lady ;)I'll want to get the baby fixed as soon as possible so no hormones start raging. I have read in the links on the forum that adult/baby and male/male works out better if the adult is more calm and tolerant and both are neutered. I think Kirby is a perfect candidate!:nod

SOoooo Cute!I'm jealous. :biggrin2:

I've been waiting to get my second bunny for a long time. He's getting neutred soon at the rescue, then I can get him. I can't wait.

that baby is gorgeous! I want one... but I thought that with my 2 year old male that I should be looking for a female over about a year old, the theory being that adults get along better with adults.

But I am confused! the advice in here is different to what someone else told me today. I spoke to a young lady today on the internet and she said in her experience that an older bunny (2-3ish) will get along with a young bunny if you introduce the baby fairly early because the adult will be in control and the baby will accept it, rather than make any conflict. she said her rabbit fights with adults but is fine if a new young one is introduced. this does make sense to me. but on here people are saying to keep them separate until the young one is desexed... so I am confused!

please don't anyone think that what I am saying is proven and factual, I am simply expressing someones opinion! so don't use it as evidence or anything like that.

angieluv wrote:
Make sure you get fencing that the baby cannot get stuck in; it is amazing how they can fit through small spaces including bars of a cage.
if you are in doubt whether the baby could fit through something then just automatically correct it because it would be tragic if something happened
Believe me, I was *terrified* when I saw the little one somehow smushed his head and bum through the standard doggie play pen fence for his own pen and then started to make his way into Kirby's play pen!!! The opening between the wires could only be about 1.5 - 1.75 inches but he made it through. That's when I knew I'd find myself coming home to an injured bunny unless I got him a cage with smaller spaces between the wires. The "my first home" cage has only 1" spaces and he hasn't been able to get through them.

This baby was very skinny when I got him at the pet store. It was one of the first things I noticed about him. I bet he hasn't been fed properly with alfalfa pellets and hay. But he's eaten a good deal of alfalfa hay and timmy hay tonight. He hasn't really touched much of his alfalfa pellets yet. He is a good water drinker. Hopefully with better food in him he won't be fitting through the play pen fences much longer! :biggrin2:

I wasn't planning on getting a rabbit today, but I'd been giving it a ton of thought in the last couple of months. My husband and I have talked a lot about the pros and cons, the worst case scenario if we can't get them to bond, etc. We found this little guy by accident at a mall we've never been to. He looked really calm and sweet and I just knew I had to have him. That's how I felt about Kirby when I saw him. I hope I'm right about this one too! :blushan:

Elf Mommy wrote:
With those ears, be prepared for it not to be a dwarf....they do not look very "scoop-like" to me. He's adorable either way!
Hmm it's possible. I doubt he is a pure dwarf. Maybe dwarf and something else?

Hi Crystal,

I'm kind of confused too - I've never done this before! There's lots of ways to think about it I guess, and each rabbit is different. I think I could probably put the baby and Kirby (2.5 yrs) together as Kirby will most likely tolerate quite a bit of kiddie shenanigans but I have heard so many times that after a bonded pair get separated even a day because one of them goes to a vet that the bond could get broken. I'm not positive my baby's a boy (I don't trust the store 100% and I haven't found the "evidence" myself yet), but whether it's a boy or girl I'm going to be taking them in for a procedure at some point. I figured it would just be easier to bond them after the vet visit.

The two don't show aggression towards one another. I think if they spent the next several weeks being in the same vecinity that it would only help when I do try to bond them.

sorry if it sounded like I was saying you are doing the wrong thing. I didn't mean that at all... if you have a set up that can house two bunnies separately until he/she gets old enough then that's great.

I guess what I am trying to work out is what my best option would be... my boy is pretty placid. I haven't seen him with other rabbits though, but I'm guessing he won't be agressive. but as I said, that is only a guess!

My mini-lop spayed (RIP) Babette was a few years old when I impulsively bought a baby male bun home (probably maybe 2-3 months)

Ididn't know very much about bonding then soI broughthim in and just plopped him into her area. She rushed to him and immediately began to groom him. She adored him!!!!!. She had spent most of her time trying to chew her way out of her enclosure but once he came into her life she settled down and doted on him.

He would try to mount her and I said to my husband that he looks like a little flea hanging on her back. She would walk around with him hanging on her back....LOL.
She really adored him; there was never any aggression between those two (she died last year) and he is still with me as a single.
Best bond of rabbits I ever saw and it just 'happened"

I couldn't wait to get him neutered as he sprayed everywhere and was just a pig in terms of his habits...but that all improved after his neuter.

Thanks for sharing that story with us. That is what I hope would happen! But I'm trying not to let one story talk me into getting a baby because I do want one! So were they housed together full time from when you first brought him home?

What are other people's experiences?

Latest posts

Back