I found a flea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDShorty

Reaction score
Do rabbits get fleas? A few weeks back I could have sworn I got bit by a flea. I saw a little black dot on my foot that was itching, but then it was gone, but I thought it looked like a flea. I forgot about it, then today I saw another one on my foot when I felt an itch, I was able to really quickly grab it, and sure enough, it was a flea :grumpy:. Dori got groomed and nails clipped last weekend and no fleas were spotted. But I have seen her scratch a few times here and there. is it possible she has fleas? And where did she get them from? She is an indoor only bun. She is allowed to go outside on the porch once in a while, but that's about it. And if she does, how do I get rid of them :(

Yup, rabbits can get fleas. Maybe one hitched a ride on you from a friends house, or just got on your clothes from outside?

The best rabbit-safe flea treatments are Revolution and Advantage. They're both spot-on-the-neck treatments you can get from a vet. I think rabbits generally take the kitten size but a rabbit vet should know.

NO FRONTLINE!

A little wildlife trick for fleas for those of you that are concerned about using chemicals....fleas hate Listerine. We "deflea" cottontails, opossum and squirrels (they are flea magnets) using basic yellow Listerine. We soak a wash cloth and wipe them down. I would do this outside because the fleas will be looking a way out.

Randy

Thanks everyone, I am going to try and groom Dori this week to see if I can spot any fleas. If I see any I'll be buying some flea killers. Itshard because my girlie is black, but her belly is beige so I'll have to try and keep her on her back long enough to look through, eep.

A huge word of caution....many flea controls are toxic and deadly to a rabbit. Don't take a chance on some of the stuff you buy at a pet store. It is much safer to have a vet (rabbit savvy of course)presribe something like Revolution. It is not exactly cheap....but it's safe and effective. We have used it extensively in our rescue.

Randy

Being a dog groomer myself, I am very familiar with flea season. If you feed the birds, watch for squirrels and wild rabbits feeding on the birdseed. Keep your grass cut short especially in that area because fleas don't like the sunlight. Dogs, cats, and people can carryfleas into the house, especially the hungry baby ones that just hatched and are more difficult to see.

In the house, walk around with white socks on because you will be able to see them if they jump on you. If you found one, expect to find others so don't just treat the animal. You will more than likely have to treat the areas that your pet(s) go into. Vacuum the entire area very well especially along the baseboards and any crevices. Best to be safe by throwing the vacuum bag into another bag that can be tied up for disposal. Fleas can live through anything even vacuuming. I usually try to catch them between my finger nails and split them in half (they still think they are alive even after that!!). You would have to find something bunny-safe to spray in the areas after vacuuming in case there are still baby fleas waiting to hatch. If you can't find a safe spray you might end up repeating sock, flea comb, and vacuum procedure until you think they are gone. I don't recollect the time span for new hatch-lings, but I would say five to seven days.

As always, use the safest product for flea management if you need to treat your bunny directly. If you do a treatment, watch for fleas aroung moisture areas or "safe" places for them to hide to get away from the treatment (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, butt-end). (I had groomed a dog once that was wearing a flea collar. The dog was completelyinfested with fleas except around the neck where the collar was)

I only found one flea on Miss Maggie some years back, but I was able to catch it before it ever made its way into the house (whew!). Ever since then, I watch for squirrels in the spring and fall of the year, make sure grass in short, leaves are picked up, and I do a quick flea-check by stroking the hair against the grain to expose the skin and any critters hitching a ride.

I hope your situation isn't serious and you caught it in time. Watch your baby(ies) for tapeworms also. Bunnies will get tapeworms from eating up the fleas that are causing them distress. So keep an eye out for anything that looks like a grain of rice or a small worm-like thing in or aroundthe droppings or the butt of the bunny. Fleas are nasty things and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

myheart

ra7751 wrote:
A little wildlife trick for fleas for those of you that are concerned about using chemicals....fleas hate Listerine. We "deflea" cottontails, opossum and squirrels (they are flea magnets) using basic yellow Listerine. We soak a wash cloth and wipe them down. I would do this outside because the fleas will be looking a way out.

Randy
Thanks for the tip! Seeing as our yard is a squirrel haven I'll have to keep a small bottle around just in case they share their fleas with us - sounds like a good starter treatment until we'd be able to get the right treatment from the vet.

Latest posts

Back