I forgot how stressful bonding is!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I need to vent! So, as most of you know, I rescued a little man named Mr. Tumnus a few months ago. Im trying to bond him with my other two lovely gentlemen, Basil and Max.

So, I have been doing the bonding sessions and things seem to be not progressing at all. We've been doing this for about 3 weeks or so. Tumnus seemed really freaked out when I tried puting all three of them together (although Basil and Max could care less) so Im just doing Tumnus and Basil first.

Basil (who was soo aggressive when I bonded he and Max) is being such a sweet boy. He just sits there and puts his head on my leg and closes his eyes. Tumnus will act uninterested for a bit, then run up and bite Basil. At first, Basil would bite back every now and then. Now, Basil just seems so scared. Tumnus bit him like 3-4 times and then started to scratch him. Basil just jumped into my lap for protection.

Its just so difficult! Basil and Max took about 2 months to bond. I just forgot how hard this is! It feels like Mr. Tumnus will never let up!

Im thinking I need to get a spray bottle or little squirt gun. Any other suggestions?

Its just so hard to determine how long to let this go on. Tumnus isnt drawing blood or really leaving any marks on Basil..just quick nips, but I feel so bad!

Help! Any suggestions?

-Haley

Not sure it matters in your case, but Pipp and I are a bonded pair, and anytime she sees me with another bunny, she'll bite that bunny. She's very jealous.

Maybe Basil being cozy with you and in your lap is aggravating the situation?

Just a thought...

sas :shock: pippbull :mad:and the gang of fur :bunnybutt::bunnybutt::bunnybutt::bunnybutt:

Awww! Pipp is the jealous type, huh ? How cute :)

If it were the other way around (Basil being jealous) I would think maybe...But I dont think Mr. Tumnus likes me all that much :) Thanks for the input though!

My boyfriend keeps saying Tumnus is just a loner (hes still hesitant to come up to me and definitely wont let me hold him). I think hes just still a little scared of me and the buns. He has been through a lot, what with living in the wild for about a month and all! And the way he survived out there was keeping away from people/animals. Maybe Im taking things too fast. Maybe I should wait a few more months...

What do you guys think?

-Haley

I like Naturestee's suggestion:

Since we couldn't just put them in neutral territory and expect them not to rip each other apart, we decided to start what I call "forced snuggling." My hubby and I each held one bun. Then while standing, we held the buns next to each other. We would pet them and mix their scents together and tell them what nice bunnies they were. Whenever there was aggression all we had to do was take a step back and voila, the rabbits were separated! Spritewas a bit nippy at first but then settled down, and eventually they both started pressing into each other. When we decided to start doing "normal" bonding again, we tested them first by sitting down next to each other on the couch and doing the forced cuddling in our laps. After a few minutes we'd stop holding them and let them move a little, but just on our laps. Even after we moved to the floor, we did this before each session to remind them that they can and do snuggle each other and to mix their scents together.

I really think this helped a lot. I don't know if I could have bonded them otherwise. The other bonus is that this may have taught Spriteto snuggle, because before this the only time she snuggled with Fey was right after I got them (pure fear) or right after their spays (pain). Now they spend most of their afternoons squished into one space. Of course this might also be because Sprite had to actually earn Fey's love instead of being stuck in a small cage with no choice in the matter.

Edit: Also, taking it slow is a very good thing. Let him get used to everybody's scents and movements. Have him where he can see the boys but not touch.

Thanks for that Jordiwes (and Naturestee ;)). I had never read that post.

I think I will give that a try. I thinkit will work because sometimes when we're doing a bonding session I will grab Tumnus and sit him next to Basil and put my hand oon his neck area to let him know Im boss. He will just sit there and snuggle with Basil, but when I lift my hand, he will bite.

I will give this methoda shot and see what happens. Also, I went and bought a little squirt gun so I can get him if he does bite. I just have to keep reminding myself to be patient!

If he's still being bada lot over the weekend, I might just consider giving it a few months and trying again. Like I said, he is still getting used to his surroundings.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Haley

im no good at bonding! i didnt have progress for three months! so i know how you feel. after 5 months they are just now grooming each other!

just wanted to say good luck

Thanks for the encouragement Manda :). It can be so frustrating at times!

I think this time is worse than my first, because when I bonded the first two they were both mean to eachother. I just feel so bad for my little Basil sitting there getting bitten and scratched...its hard to tell when I should break it up and when I should make Basil end it!

Back