I feel awful!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpers_Mom

Reaction score
So, like most, I am back in school. Of course, right when I returned to classes, I received a letter in the mail stating that my younger son is in danger of failing third grade.:pullhair: He is having trouble in the reading/comprehension dept. Because of this, their father is now picking them up at least 3 nights a week to help him with his homeworkand reading comprehension.

This is great and takes a great deal off of my shoulders but this also means that my bunnies will not have out time like they are used to. This started yesterday. I feel absolutely awful. :(

Thumps and Peaches are used to being out from 3:30 to 9/9:30pm and get fed at 6pm. Yesterday, they got fed at 3:30 before the boys left with their dad and didn't get any out time. Well, actually, the boys let them out for about 20min. when they got home. I got home at 9:50pm and then it was time for bed.

This is only going to be for a short period of time since this is my last semester...it ends in May. But it kills me when I walk in the house and they just go crazy waiting for me to open their door.

Do you think they will be ok? I bought them some new toys this past weekend...I think I am going to have to get them some more.

They'll be fine, I'm sure. There's no reason why they wouldn't be.

I would suggest on those evenings swap their toys about or rearrange their cage a bit to give them something to be interested in. Or do things like hide a craisin somewhere and let them find it (someone used to poke them in wodden cubes with a hole in the middle and the buns would have a marvellous time trying to get them out). Stimulate them in other ways. They will come to no harm :)

They'll be fine. There are times when mine don't get out like they are used to.

On a side note...

With your son, many kids who are high funtioning andhave one of the spectrum of learning disabilities will have it show up around 3rd grade. In other words - they are so intelligent that they've been able to hide the problem they have.

Keep a close eye on him. Could be something he needs a bit of therapy for (dyslexia, processing)

Thx guys...I guess it is just me being a worried bun mom. They seem to be doing great. I don't have class Tues. and Wed.so they were out like usual yesterday and will be out today. :biggrin2:They are such good bunners. Actually, I think since I have been spending less time with them, Thumper has gotten very affectionate. He is looking for attention without nipping! :pNice.

You're right flashy...I'm going to pick up a few more things and start swapping them. :thumbup

Bo B...I have been keeping an eye on him for that reason. I want to make sure that there isn't and underlying issue. His teacher and I seem to think that his attention span is very minimal when it comes to reading. He is also very phonetic inhis pronunciations and has trouble distinguishing the different sounds that grouped letters make. He is, like you said, GREAT at other things like math, science, and building things...His reading has gotten better with this little bit of attention that he has been given thus far so I am praying that it just continues to get better. In the mean time, we will keep helping him and keep an eye on him in case he will need some type of help.

Thank you all! :hug:

Sounds like my son in the third grade. We'll be thinking of you and him - keep us posted on his progress!

Losing his attention span in reading could be that he's highly intelligent (High IQ) and getting bored "waiting" for what comes next in the material he's reading. He wants to do more and not wait.

My son went through some of that and now he's a straight A student with tough classes.... like Latin III.

What I'm saying is..... it's sort of a good thing if you can manage to get him through the rough part LOL!

LOL...Bo B...I think this is rougher on me then on him! :laugh:

And I think you are right on. We went to the bookstore the other day and got him two books on a puppy series call The Puppy Place. It is about two kids that want a puppy but their parents don't think they are ready but they foster doggies and find them good homes! He really likes them and is almost done with the first books.

I just wish I could find a series about bunnies like this! He loves all of our animals (can't believe I'm saying this...Just last August..we didn't have one and now we have 4!) and pays a lot of attention to Thumper and Peaches...

In fact, I think Jered is the only member of our house that hasn't been intentionally nipped by Thumper!

Jackie, if his main problem reading? In class, do they have everyone read alone to themselves or do they do it in a group?

When I was in first grade, I seem to recall not doing very well in reading and disliking it. The reason was that the stories the teacher had us reading were sooooooooo boring and we always had to read in groups taking turns, so it took forever to read the "stories". Easy to see why I disliked it. My parents were rather concerned because I loved being read to. Then in the middle of first grade, we moved to a different state and at the new school, the stories we had to read were much more interesting, and we didn't have to sit in those boring circles and have each person read one sentence. Instead, everyone would sit on the floor and one kid would get in front of the whole class and read the story all the way through out loud. If we paused on a word for a few seconds, the teacher would try to help us through it and then would have us sit down if we couldn't work our way through it and we'd start on that word the next day. At first I was so nervous because the students were more advanced than I was and I was a shy kid, but the students were all very supportive of each other and within a week or so I was on their level and quickly advanced past them. In 4th grade I was on a 10th grade reading level. If I'd stayed at that first school, who knows what my reading skills would have been like!

It sounds great that Jered has a couple of books he's interested in reading (they sound cute too!), I hope that will really ignite his interests. The reason I told my little story is that you said he's already improved in just a few days with the extra attention and good books, so it made me think of that. Perhaps he just can't stand how boring group reading time is at school? Also, he must be very sweet if Thumper has never nipped him!

Your bunnies will be okay! They'll miss being out of their cage so much, but they are very fortunate bunners and you love them lots and will keep them happy :) It's so hard not to worry though and I would feel the same way if I were you! At least you had yesterday and today to spoil them and let them out of their cages alllll day!

Back