I fear something might be wrong and my mom doesn't believe me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
So you all know Sabriel. Light gray dutch, bonded to my mini-rex mix, Solara.

Well when we adopted him, the vetrinarian said that his runny nose was normal. It was just stress. But his nose is STILL always wet! I dunno why though :I It's clear, and there's never anything on his paws... anyways here's info.

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight): Light gray dutch.. when we went to the vet around Easter, he was 3 lbs I think.

Sex: male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:Wet nose. Hardly ever doesn't have a runny nose.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Yes.
- when did they last use their litterbox? I dunno.Probably recently. I was carrying him around, then I put him down and came downstairs to check facebook and stuff, then I read someone's blog about their bun with a runny nose.. so I became worried again.
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits?: Pees outta the litterbox sometimes, but I fixed it when I moved his litterbox, then he decided tolift his butt too high and pee outta the litter box again.
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Yesterday's News Paper litter

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? Yes
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?Whenwe first adopted him. He'sneverbeen sick.
- is s/he on any medications? No

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat?1/3 cup of Nature's Promise Timothy Pellets in the morning. Atnight he gets a varietyof veggies. Last night he got carrots, apple, celeray,bok choy, romaine lettuce,red/yellow/orange bell peppers, mint, parsley
- when and what did s/he eat last? This morning, pellets
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) Never has been a change.. he loves food. His tooth purr does sound weird compared to Solara's though

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Hoppin aroundcompletely fine.
- is the rabbit molting? A little bit still
- any weight loss? No
- any sign of drooling? wet face? No
- runny eyes? No
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? Wet nose. Sneezed a bit amonth or so ago.
- is s/he breathing normally Yess

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No!
- has the rabbit been outdoors? No!
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? Two dogs, and Solara. None have been ill.

What do you guys think is wrong? Should we take him to the vet? Maybe if I have other peoples' outlook, maybe my mom will start to listen to me D:<

My Chop always has a wet nose.
When I lean into his house he always lifts his head up for a kiss on the nose and it is always wet! He does sometimes have an attack of the sneezes as well.

I just assumed this was normal as he is completely fine in his self.
It was Rabbit Awareness Week in the UK a few weeks ago and I took him to the vet for a free check up as part of this week, wet nose and all, and the vet gave him a clean bill of health..
Hope this helps...Or someone more medical comes along with more advice?!!?

thank you for the info :) gives me some reassurance that someone else has a bun with a constant wet nose as well. i hope its just.. normal and not a health pprob. he seems fine after all. he's actually sleeping up against me currently :p

Aww thats too cute:inlove:
Chop has just bunny flopped in his house and as I went to give him a cuddle I got the 'move me if you dare..I'm too comfy' stare!! So I've left him well alone!

My Chop is a year old and when he was about 7 months he has a very slight respiratory infection but this came with sticky and really red eyes.
The advice I was given on here about the sneezing was if it was only ever now and then that he may only have a tickle up his nose but to keep an eye on it!!

Thanks! Yeah his yes and stuff are fine :p
And aww ): thats how Solara is. she hates cuddling (i made her cudddle this morning though. lol she just bunny flopped against the side of her pen. she looks so silly XD Sabriel woke up and is licking me and walking all over me :p he is an obsessive licker XD

Sometimes it can be normal, some bunnies can also have slight allergies. Keep an eye on his eatting habbits and if he is sneezing, or if the discharge has color to it. Snot would be the best way to describe it. Check his front paws to see if they are clean.

JadeIcing wrote:
Sometimes it can be normal, some bunnies can also have slight allergies. Keep an eye on his eatting habbits and if he is sneezing, or if the discharge has color to it. Snot would be the best way to describe it. Check his front paws to see if they are clean.
Yeah, it might be allergies then. There is no colour to the wetness on his nose, and his front paws are clean as can be!

Is she hot? While bunny noses are constantly damp, she might be a little more wet on the nose if her environment is warmer during the summer season. Could be normal. Just watch for any discharge, which would be abnormal.

kirbyultra wrote:
Is she hot? While bunny noses are constantly damp, she might be a little more wet on the nose if her environment is warmer during the summer season. Could be normal. Just watch for any discharge, which would be abnormal.

Nope! My room is always a little bit chilly.. so he shouldn't be hot.Like it feels like fall almost.It's hot outside though!

How do I know if it's discharge? o.o

JadeIcing wrote:
Discharge = Snot

Yes, I understand that.

But she said to look for discharge. What is the difference between "discharge" and the wetness on my bun's nose!?

JadeIcing wrote:
She means if it becomes snot not just wet. Is he sneezing at all.
Oh, alrighty. Yeah, it's just wet. He had a couple sneezing fits a while back. But I haven't seen him sneeze at all lately. Just a normal, occasional sneeze.

Is he in a colder area of the house? Our Benjamin has been having a runny nose and sneezing fits lately, and I think it's because we always have the window AC unit on in his room. I also think he might have gotten a URI, so he is going to get seen by the vet (always better to be safe than sorry), but I know another member whose bunny got sniffy because she had a fan pointed at his cage all the time and he got cold.

My new bun Cinnamon has a wet nose, it isn't running just wet. He gets it whenever he gets excited or runs around. It's clear so I don't think it is snot. The house isn't too warm so I don't think he is hot. I have a vet appointment for him this Saturday so I will ask then. We just got him last Saturday from the humane society and he was perfectly healthy then. Hoping he is okay.

When we took Ben to the vet today she told us to give him Benadryl. I'm not very optimistic about that working, since there hasn't been a big change in his environment (although his litterbox might be getting a little musty), and it's really rare for bunnies to get allergies. If it works for Ben I'll let you know.

One of my past bunnies had a wetter nose than my others. It was a bit scary at first since I could notice the difference between hers and the others, with hers being much wetter. However, there was never any color or funky texture. Usually, it's a problem when it is colored and kind of thick and sticky. Hers was clear, pretty much like water. Her eyes were always fine though so I basically figured she was probably a bit more sensitive to the hay dust or litter. She never did get sick but it did leak even more when she was warm so it's good to know how wet your bun's nose is normally :)

Back