i dont want

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi all

i dont want this to sound daft but

can u actually bath bunnys

as lucy

i think needs to have a bath to make her coat look nice or is she ok the way she is

varna xxxx

i

Usually bunnies wash themselves, but if you thinkshe needs a bath you can use warm water and a cloth, I think its betternot to use any shampoo or soup.

It may be way too stressing to put your rabbit ina tub of water. It's better to just wet a cloth and run it over her(just damp) that will remove the dandruff, excess hair, dirt, etc, fromthe top layer of her fur.

A rabbits fur is not meant to get wet and can take hours to dry even with a hair dryer.

Hi Varna,

Generally speaking, bunnies don't need baths. The're kind of like catsin that they will keep themselves clean. They may need to be"Touched-up" from time to time. Like if they get poopie butts or theirfeet get dirty. Non-alcoholic wipes will do for small clean ups or acloth with some warm water. No soap or shampoo.

Their coats have natural oils that may be washed out when given acomplete bath. Grooming seems to make the luster in Benji's fur comeout. And it might be possible to add something to their diet to helpkeep their coats healthy.

Brindle loves to take showers, but we have limited that to only a fewin the last year. Then we always have to make sure she is completelydry afterwards. That's how we discovered that she also loves theblowdryer. Put it on low/cool and she'll stick her nose right at it andclose her eyes.

Also it's not a good idea to submerse a bunnie because the temperature change can be a dangerous shock to their systems.

Jim

I suppose they're like sheep, Anna. Thetop layer of fur stops the undercoat getting wet so that they don'tactually get soaked (the phrase 'water off a duck's back' comes tomind). Putting them in water would soak the fur right to theskin, so it can't dry out as quickly. I've never seen wildrabbits in the rain before... I think they must go underground forcover. Lucky things! :)

Pernod and Perry love sitting out in the rain,and end up getting soaked. I either dry them off (if I can catch them)or they lick each other dry. Perry's coat fluffs up and he looks like agiant fur ball.- Jan

AnnaS wrote:
what happens to rabbits when it rains outside? Don't they get wet?
Some of ours find some lawn furniture, or a hutch to situnder. Others don't have the sense to come in out of therain...dumb bunnies, I guess.

In nature our domesticated rabbits(European species) would have gone toground in their burrows during a rain storm. North Americancottontails, Jack Rabbits, and other species must seek shelter of somesort for I've never seen a cottontail sitting out in the rain, nor seenpictures of a "wet" rabbit/hare in the wild.

Having written that, I know there are pet owners whose buns obviouslyenjoy swimming or wading in the water, particularly during hotweather. By and large, though, I am led to believe rabbitsdon't particularly like water or to be wet.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
By and large, though, I am led to believe rabbits don'tparticularly like water or to be wet.
Sir Reximus Maximus won't even venture outside if there's dew on the grass *rolls eyes*

Delphinum wrote:
Isuppose they're like sheep, Anna. The top layer of fur stopsthe undercoat getting wet so that they don't actually get soaked (thephrase 'water off a duck's back' comes to mind). Putting themin water would soak the fur right to the skin, so it can't dry out asquickly. I've never seen wild rabbits in the rain before... Ithink they must go underground for cover. Luckythings! :)

Exactly. The thick, protective guard hairs protect theundercoat from getting saturated. When bathing and soaping arabbit, it gets wet to the skin and is hard to get completely dry,which may result in the rabbit getting chilled. Therefore,unless absolutely necessary, it's not a good idea to bathe a rabbit.

Pam

How cute is it to see abunny likingto be wet? I'm glad I'm not the only one whosebunny doesn't like to be wet.

Varna, if you want Lucy's coat to be pretty buysome Kaytee brand food. I bought it yesterday and it says it keepsbunnies' teeth, bones, and coat healthy. But I haven't tried it yet soI don't know if it works.

Matthew's little bunny, Sandman (RIP), love tosit in the bath to have the poopies cleaned off his butt.Really cracked me up seeing him sitting there like a little king in thebath. He didn't mind the wet at all.

Pam

Latest posts

Back