I could use some suggestions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBIT#1

Reaction score
A few questions. My bunny has carpet in hersleeping place, and she is in there all the time in the day! SheNEVERcomes out other than to use her litterbox or eat a treatthat I show to her. She is not scared of me, because she always comesup to me for lovewhen I come in her sleeping place. In thenight she does come out, but just sits next to her food ( hay ) anddoes nothing. Is it o.k that she doesn't come out of her sleeping place?

Also, she doesn't play with ANYTHING. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Does she have access to a run forseveral hours a day? I put my rabbits out in their run in the morningand leave themout all day (as long as I am in) so that theyget plenty of exercise, you could try that so that she isn't spendingall day in her bed area. I'd also try to tempt her out of her bed area,what kind of a set-up does she have? Does she have toys, hay, litterboxes etc in her day area? How big is her hutch? This may give us anidea of why she doesn't want to come out.:)

Shae has hay, a litterbox,usually something toshred up, some toys that she seems to not like, and sometimes treats.Just a few of course.

No, she doesn't have a run. She LOVES to run around the yard, but it isnot that safe,and so she only gets some time outside.

I am looking for a run for her, though nothing seems to be big enough.

should I build one?
Her hutch is pretty big for her.

My bunny, Bandit is the exact sameway. As long as someone is home his door is open to come outand run, but he sticks around in his cage and when he is out he justlays around unless a cat is chasing him around. He has tonsof toys but doesn't touch any of them. His cage is HUGE sothere's no worry there. I'd love to hear some suggestionstoo! :)

I have a similar issue with Poppy. She isn'tthat active, and if she has a choice to stay in her cage or run around,99% of the time she will just stay in her cage. I still have the optionopen to her, but rarely does she venture out of her cage on her own. Ithink she just feels secure in her cage, so it might be the same foryour rabbit. Although, she is sitll fairly new, so that might change.

Just keep trying new toys! Some rabbits love to dig, chew or rip thingsapart where as some like to move things around, bunch towels, etc. Justoffer a variety of toys, and always keep rotating them every few days.

Some of my top favourite toys are: Hay cubes, hay in a paper towelroll, carboard box, newspaper, grass mats, jingle cat balls, string,things to toss, and towels to bunch and pull at. :)

How big is her hutch? I think Iremember you saying that you had to buy one. It might seembig to you but chances are it's small to her as I haven't seen adecent-sized one for sale yet. If she was getting out to playin a run every day I'd still think the minimum size for her would be3.5-4 feet long. Bigger is better. So if her hutchis smaller, definately build her a run so you can let her out to playmore. It would be best if it has a top to protect fromredtailed hawks.

Also, keep trying different toys. Some buns are reallyparticular. My dutch Loki loves big toys. When hewas in a 42" long dog crate I couldn't fit is favorite toys in with himso he barely moved all day long except for when I let himout. I'd never keep him in a cage that small again.He's in a pen maybe 3x that size now and is very active and playful.

My bunnies love their 'home' areas, which arelarge, but they neverplay until they comeout intothe big, carpeted rooms, then it's binky city, tossing toys, rolling,etc. They really don't do that for more than acouple hours, twice a day, though, the rest of the time they stickclose to home and stay very quiet. When they're up, they'reup, but when they're down, they're down. (They all sleep withtheir eyes open, so being quiet is the only way to tell thattheyare sleeping).

Can you set up some NIC cubes to bunny proof abig area andlether explore and run?I just read anarticle about how much better off buns that exercise are.

Have you thought about getting her a friend? Shemayneed that stimulation.

sas

Pipp wrote:
Mybunnies love their 'home' areas, which are large, but theyneverplay until they comeout into the big, carpetedrooms, then it's binky city, tossing toys, rolling,etc. They really don't do that for more than acouple hours, twice a day, though, the rest of the time they stickclose to home and stay very quiet. When they're up, they'reup, but when they're down, they're down. (They all sleep withtheir eyes open, so being quiet is the only way to tell thattheyare sleeping).

Can you set up some NIC cubes to bunny proof abig area andlether explore and run?I just read anarticle about how much better off buns that exercise are.

Have you thought about getting her a friend? Shemayneed that stimulation.

sas
We are woring on a run. And what are NIC cubes anyway?

Thanks

Does anyone have a very very big run that has a top?

If so, could you tell me where you get it?

Thanks

Also keep in mind that bunnies sleep all daylong - they are most active in the evening and first thing in themorning. If you are noticing that she stays in her cage allday long - it's likely she is sleeping.

When she comes out at night, try different kinds of toys.Mine won't touch balls or hard plastic toys, but a box full ofnewspaper to tunnel in or anything to dig and chew and they are inheaven. Try giving her chew sticks, and grass mats, an oldtowel, a box full of newspaper, a phone book... see if you can findother kinds of toys for her, maybe she just hasn't let you know whather style of playing is yet.

Also spend time on the floor with her when she comes out at night,she'll come over to investigate and maybe once she feels morecomfortable in your area, she will come around.

Here is my bunnies covered run for ideas:

newrun2.jpg

newrun1.jpg

This could easily be made any size you want if you are handy withtools, however I'm not so I got it off ebay.;)Unfortunately Idoubt you'll find a very big run being sold anywhereso if youwant a massive run you're best building it yourself or getting somebodyelse to build it for you.

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Here is my bunnies covered run for ideas:

newrun2.jpg

newrun1.jpg

This could easily be made any size you want if you are handy withtools, however I'm not so I got it off ebay.;)Unfortunately Idoubt you'll find a very big run being sold anywhereso if youwant a massive run you're best building it yourself or getting somebodyelse to build it for you.
Well, I could make it bigger, but she likes to jump. Would she hit her head?

Latest posts

Back