I can't take care of my bunnies anymore...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy&juniper

Reaction score
Hello,
It's sad to say but I don't think I can take care of my bunnies anymore. I wish I had thought of this more intensely when I decided to get them. I forgot how hard and expensive it is to take care of bunnies; especially since I bought two. I can't get a job yet because I have to take care of my siblings -- from the cause of COVID.

I have been neglecting my bunnies and I have a feeling this has caused them to develop some sort of health problem. I haven't taken them to the vet. Initially, I had the intention of keeping them for 10 years, but I don't believe that's something I can do. However, this is still my goal for them, though, I won't be able to accomplish this goal I hope the family I give them to can.

Please give me your thoughts on how I should go with this. Truthfully, I feel like an irresponsible and cowardly human. I see them as my children; I have to take care of them and this is one of the few ways I could think of. I feel like if I let another family adopt them they will have a better life than they could ever have with me. They are nine months old, I have kept them for five months. It is unfortunate that I have to part with them.

A picture of the siblings at the bottom. Both females.
(They are an absolutely beautiful pair.)

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 17
Aw I’m sorry. I can imagine this is a really tough situation.
To give my truthful opinion, I think it’ll be best if you give them to a rabbit rescue. They’ll be able to treat them for their illnesses, keep them safe, neuter/spay them if needed, and then find them a great home.
I don’t think that you should sell them on one of those pet sites as they often become children’s pets or used as animal bait or food.
They are gorgeous little bunnies 💞

I'm so sorry! That can be hard. I would agree with Apollo's Slave, that you should give them to a rescue. You seem to have thought this through and I'm sure you've made a good heartfelt decision. They are both so cute!

Aw I’m sorry. I can imagine this is a really tough situation.
To give my truthful opinion, I think it’ll be best if you give them to a rabbit rescue. They’ll be able to treat them for their illnesses, keep them safe, neuter/spay them if needed, and then find them a great home.
I don’t think that you should sell them on one of those pet sites as they often become children’s pets or used as animal bait or food.
They are gorgeous little bunnies 💞

Hello,
I wasn’t planning on selling them. I’ve been researching what best and local rescue shelters I can leave them with. However, ones that I’ve called and are close to me don’t take in rabbits. So that’s something I have to keep working on.

Thank you for the advice.

Hello,
I wasn’t planning on selling them. I’ve been researching what best and local rescue shelters I can leave them with. However, ones that I’ve called and are close to me don’t take in rabbits. So that’s something I have to keep working on.

Thank you for the advice.
Ah okay. Good luck with your search. Hopefully when everything is settled and your situation is better you can be joined by some more bunnies (if that’s what you want ofc) x

Even shelters get overcrowded or at capacity. Agree 100% that a reputable rescue who can accept them, get them sp/eutered, and screen most diligently for a forever home is the best decision for your vulnerable young girls. What area of FL are you in?

Definitely do research on rescues. Gainesville Rabbit Rescue has my approval. Perhaps they can be emailed and provide further advice for FL rescues they approve of.

I completely agree with Apollo's Slave! Please find a rescue near you to give your rabbits too.
Where are you located in Florida? Maybe we can help you find a rescue? If you can't find one near your location, you should post a thread under "Rescue Me" and see if anyone on here is in your area and can adopt.

So sorry you have to fo this. Covid and lockdown had been hard on us all.

I've found that they're are lots of rabbit rescues in FL.
Check the Rabbit House Society to see which recues are closest to you.

Latest posts

Back