I can't let Ivory out anymore...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
He chews on everything! I'm gonna try tobunny-proof this weekend, but if i do that, he's gonna start chewing onthe walls. He already rips off a piece of wallpaper and prances aroundwith it as i try to catch him and get it from him. I know heneeds excersize, but i doubt he needs to eat wall. I dont know what todo...I'm in the computer room a lot, so itsa good place forhim to run around, but I cant figure out what to do about his chewing,or he'd be out a lot more often

Does he have apple sticks to chew on?You can get them in a good pet store or online. Also, soakingrabbit wooden toys in organic apple juice is a good way to get yourbunny to chew on his toys. Make sure it is organic applejuice and there were no pesticides used to make it. Emmitdoes the same thing from time to time, but then we just resoak one ofhis toys, and he's happy as pie! Good luck :)

-Carrie

he has wood, and he chews it...when he's in hiscage. once the door's open, he finds a world of new and better tastingthings to chew on. now he's decided to chew on the carpet, my sock, andmy toe.....

the thing im wondering is...is he teething? or does he just like to chew?

lol...i don't think rabbit "teeth" the same way that humans do. Rabbits naturally like to chew...

Have you tried disciplining him when he chews on somethingbad? Like squirting water at him with a sprawbottle?

dreamgal042 wrote:
He already rips off a piece of wallpaper andprances around with it as i try to catch him and get it fromhim. I know he needs exercise, but i doubt he needs to eat wall. I

I'm sorry -- I'm having a hard timestifling the giggles as Ipicture Ivoryproudly showing off hisdemolitionwork ROFL

We must be "FIRM"!!! BAD BUNNY!

How about one of those bunny play pens with lots of fun toys and things to climb on?

Pam

i think he got used to my yells of 'no' and 'stopthat', and pounding my foot on the floor next to him doesnt work. soprolly eventually he'd get used to the water being sprayed on him.there's no room in my den for a bunny play pen, and he'd prolly chewthat too. i take him outside his cage, and he chews on it from theoutside.

sorry saw Ivory sitting in his cage and couldnt help but take apicture. before the camera was turned on and started beeping his eyeswere half closed and he was looking at me like 'i hate you i hate you ihate you i am an evil bunny i hate you'

tn_109-0972_IMG.jpg

you can still kinda see the look im getting now. i think he's trying to go to sleep, but he looks so cute.

ill see if i can find a playpen that goes more up than out. dont knowhow happy my dad would be with how much money im spending on him thoughlol "I hope you know you're the one whos going to pay for this thing.are you sure that one's not too big? No, you cant get him another foodbowl for outside his cage. Does he really need that?? Okay, I think*that* he can live without" >:)

I wish i could offer advise. I completeunderstand how you feel. Nothing works with Baby either, noteven the squirt of water. It does work briefly, and then likeyou said, they get use to it and it doesn't even phase them.:?

pamnock wrote:
dreamgal042 wrote:
He already rips off a piece of wallpaper andprances around with it as i try to catch him and get it fromhim. I know he needs exercise, but i doubt he needs to eat wall. I

I'm sorry -- I'm having a hard timestifling the giggles as Ipicture Ivoryproudly showing off hisdemolitionwork ROFL

We must be "FIRM"!!! BAD BUNNY!

How about one of those bunny play pens with lots of fun toys and things to climb on?

Pam
Pam, I was thinking the same thing!:D ("tryingnot to laugh")

This is the very reason that I didn't opt for a youngerbunny. The chewing, digging (and sometimes peeing and boopingin inappropriate places) can get totally out of control without a LOTof intervention.

I think that his training process is just going to be a longone. You say that he's used to "NO", stomping your foot,squirting water and such. That's because he's trying toestablish himself as the Alpha bunny ... and you're lettinghim. It's like training a child. Persistence isgoing to be key. Even if he keeps getting used to it, keepcorrecting him. You may have to escalate the correction tothe point thatafter three "NO's" he either gets a firm squirtof water or a time out in his cage for a while before he cancomeout again.

You've received some good advice here:

1) Diversion. Give him apple sticks or woodchew toys soaked in organic apple juice as Emmit's mom hassuggested. I've found that they LOVE those grass matsandwill happily chew on them for hours. Newspaperand the toilet paper rolls can be favorites.

2) Correction. Continue to be firm andcorrect him when he's doing something that he's not supposed todo. This means that you can'tlet him loose in theroom while you play on the computer, watch TV, talk on the phone,etc. You have to watch him closely so that you can correctthe bad behavior as soon as he starts it. Sorry to tell youthis, but you're going to have to keep this system up until he "getsit" and stops the behavior.

3) Escalate. I've found the water squirtbottle invaluable in maintaining the balance of power. Again,even if you say that he will or has gotten used to it ... keep usingit.

4) Restrict access. As Pam has said, theplay pens are useful. If you can't afford one of those, thenyou have to get creative and think of an alternative solution (ahigh-walled box or bin comes to mind).

From whatI'm reading, he has you trained verywell. Now it's time for you to do some training.Being a bunny parent isn't always easy... and stages ofbunny's development as you're describing now prove it.

They can compare notes...

"and then, like the good little bunny I am, i was trying to make her asky light...but i couldnt reach the ceiling, so i was trying to makeone through the wall, but there was papery stuff on it, so i had tochew through that first. but once i got a piece off, she tried to getit from me, probably to glue it back on. I had to get outta therebefore she got it. she finally got it though, and put me in my cage. Isat and glared at her with evil looks before she finally took me outagain. How about you, Sherman, how do you help *your* family?"

P.S. I still can't get over thefact that Ivory is really a boy. I had so firmly entrenchedin my mind the concept of a female that now it's really hard to changegears. :(

I still love those beautiful ears though. ;)

lol took me a few times typing it to get it in mymind that he's actually a boy. its prolly easier for me though seeingas *all* my pets are boys. a male dog, male guinea pig, male hamster,male bunny, anda...fish...

While you'rerestricting access in the house, you might want to try some outsiderunning around time to let off some of that energy. Early morning orlate evening are good cooler times if you're experiencing hot weatherright now. :)

BunnyMommy wrote:
P.S. I still can't get over the fact thatIvory is really a boy. I had so firmly entrenched in my mindthe concept of a female that now it's really hard to changegears. :(

I still love those beautiful ears though. ;)

His avatar reminds me of that donkey from Shrek -- what was his name? He was so funny!

Pam

Latest posts

Back