I can't decide!! Please, advice would be nice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigness

Reaction score
Hello everyone. To put it short and sweet, I have been allowed to have a rabbit. And I want to be able to show said rabbit. I can only have one so ot needs to be a buck.But upon researching I can't decide what breed to get! I am torn between these breeds; a havana, english spot, jersey wooly, lionhead,himilayian and thritana. I want a rabbit that is gentle have different personalities, but I'm askin g breed wise. I think I might even go so far and have it be a therapy bunny as well. I plan to take my bunny places with me. Like t he pet store and such. Please I would like opinions as to what is the better breed out of your experiences. Thank you!

It is definitely NOT a good idea to take your bunny places with you unless it is absolutely necessary (vet visits, or urgent travelling). It stresses them out very badly. If they get scared enough they can have a heart attack. And if you took them to the pet store, you would have to crate them, and what is the point of that?

I also got my buns as therapy buns (I have bi-polar disorder and anxiety), and they are a joy (well sometimes rofl).

:yeahthat:

I wouldn't take a rabbit places either unless neccesary!

And the breed doesn't really make their personalities any different. But I heard that the bigger the breed the calmer they are. But a large breed would of course would require more space and food. Its your choice, but I personally would get an English Spot or a Himalayan rabbit. And be prepared if you get a long furred breed to brush it, as long haired breeds will require more brushing than normal haired breeds.

Good luck!

If you're going to show the rabbit, doesn't that mean he can't be neutered? If so, that would make taking him places a problem. Many people have socialized their rabbits enough that they like walking on a leash in a harness, visiting places, etc, but I'm sure these all are neutered rabbits.

Alot of rabbits will get stressed if you try and take them different places, but not all rabbits. I've had a couple rabbits that loved to go places with me. I had one that would ride in the hood of my hoodie while I went out to feed my horses, then he would hop home on his leash, and he wasn't neutered. I had another rabbit that loved to ride in the car and go to the store, or pretty much anywhere, with me. She wasn't afraid of anyone or anything. She was a very happy and adaptable rabbit, and she wasn't fixed either. So if taking your rabbit places is really something you want to do, then it's really about finding just the right rabbit for you. You want one that is very social and really likes people, and doesn't seem to get nervous or scared about things or new situations. It might be hard to find that rabbit as most rabbits aren't like that, but it is possible. Just take your time, look at lots of rabbits, and spend some time with them to get to know their personalities.

Rabbits do get used to going places. While some do get more stressed than others, many do get used to going out and doing things. If you don't take them places, they don't get used to it so get stressed and then you don't take them places.

Intact bucks can be therapy pets. It can depend on their personality, but that goes for any rabbit. A rabbit who sprays and is harder to handle might not be as good as a therapy pet, but a calmer rabbit or ones that you can handle easily can work. Some organizations don't allow intact animals, but some do.

As far as breeds, the ones you have chosen are pretty different. English Spots are a running breed and they tend to be more active. Jersey Woolies and Lionheads do have extra grooming. Lionheads are no recognized by ARBA yet, so you will have some trouble showing them. Havana, Himilayian and Triantas, then to be calmer and easy to handle. I can't really suggest a specific breed for you since I don't know you and what you might like in a rabbit.

Keep in minds that buying a good show rabbit can be tricky as breeders tend to keep the best rabbits. If you are a youth, some breeders might offer a discount to help get you into showing and might help you out at a show.

I would suggest doing more research on each breed you are interested in and seeing some in person if you can. Hold and handle the rabbit, especially if it is a rabbit you might buy, you need to be comfortable handling that rabbit.

Hello everyone. To put it short and sweet, I have been allowed to have a rabbit. And I want to be able to show said rabbit. I can only have one so ot needs to be a buck.But upon researching I can't decide what breed to get! I am torn between these breeds; a havana, english spot, jersey wooly, lionhead,himilayian and thritana. I want a rabbit that is gentle have different personalities, but I'm askin g breed wise. I think I might even go so far and have it be a therapy bunny as well. I plan to take my bunny places with me. Like t he pet store and such. Please I would like opinions as to what is the better breed out of your experiences. Thank you!

Based on what you want to do with your rabbit, I would highly recommend a Jersey Wooly. Overall, Woolies have excellent temperaments. They are a very calm, laid back breed. The bucks tend to be the friendliest and are very cuddly on the whole. They would be perfect as therapy bunnies.

At the same time, Woolies are popular enough to have nice, consistent type, but are not intensely competitive. For that reason, you should be able to get a high quality show rabbit that is proven on the table for around or under $100. Some other breeds can run as high as $150-200 for a younger, less experienced rabbit.

If you're interested in looking into that breed, I'd be happy to help you locate a reputable breeder in your area. Where are you located?

I would not recommend English Spots if you can only have one. Because they are a marked breed, it would probably be more difficult to purchase one higher quality show rabbit for a reasonable price. Breeding a show quality marked rabbit takes a lot of time and resources, and breeders are a lot less likely to have an abundance of "the best" of these breeds on their sale lists. Generally you'd be looking at purchasing a nice breeding pair or trio with the goal of creating your own show rabbits.

I also would not recommend Lionheads. They are not recognized by the ARBA. So although they have a Certificate of Development out and can be shown, you can't win legs or compete for Best in Show. Plus, their type is very inconsistent. You could end up buying a show quality rabbit that would later molt out its mane or turn up with another DQ. It's just not a very "safe" buy if you're only wanting one rabbit and not a small herd.

Himilayans are said to be like Jersey Woolies- great temperaments and you can find good quality for a reasonable price. However, they do have red eyes. That may or may not be a turn off in a therapy situation? Some people are turned away by that. But otherwise, I'd recommend them based on everything else.

I don't have as much experience with Havanas or Thriantas. Maybe another breeder can step in with some advice about those.

Rabbits cannot be neutered if they are to be shown. However, calmer breeds like the Woolies or Himis will be generally easier going with fewer hormonal tendencies. You may want to consider buying a senior (over 6 months). That way, you would have a more solid idea of their temperament, would know how they have shown on the table (maybe have wins already), and you can be more sure of their overall type. Babies are harder to evaluate since they go through a gangly period.

As far as traveling and new environments, show rabbits are used to that. You should have no problem bringing your bunny along with you when you travel. :)

I just want to pop in and give some advice, as we not only perform with the agility in many places (Calgary stampede, Children's hospital, Pet Expos, Canada's Got Talent, etc.) but we also do visits to seniors homes as Therapy visits and meeting with the residents.

Like Kate said above, if you don't take the rabbit out and about, they will never get used to travel and of course they are going to be stressed. However, look at every one of our fourteen rabbits. Completely relaxed wherever they go, will eat and drink like normal, do their own thing. Honestly, it is not as bad (Depending on the rabbit, of course) as a lot of people make it out to be. If you take it slow with the more skittish buns, they will still get used to it.

We do have some buns that cannot be neutered due to health problems that simply prevent the vet being comfortable with them going under anesthesia, but they are still fantastic buns and many of them quite calm. They frequent the seniors homes and children's hospitals just as much as the others, we've never had a problem with any of them. Again, it is simply knowing your rabbit. While we do push spaying/neutering in general, people really over exaggerate how "bad" unaltered rabbits are. They aren't little devil's spawn that can never leave the house, you can work with them usually just as easily as a altered.

I totally agree that if you take the rabbit places when they're young that they will get used to it and not be as stressed out. In fact, if you're going to show your rabbit then you definitely want him to get used to be out around other rabbits and people and noise. We raise Tans, which are a running breed like English Spots. They are definitely more active than some of the others you mention, but I can't say that they are more expensive to have or raise. They're similiar to Dutch in that you know after they're born how good their markings are.

I raised Himalayans for a couple of years and I love their looks. They make a good first breed to show. They generally have a good temperment and are pretty docile. Because they have a long back you need to make sure they're supported when you carry them. I have a friend who raises and shows Jersey's. While they do require some grooming maintenance I understand they are also a pretty gentle breed.

I agree that if you can only have one rabbit to show right now that you go with a buck.

I'm biased to lion heads :) I love them, I think they have great personalities, and are very unique!

I agree to above. Also I want to stress the grooming part! Especially if you get a bunny that wasnt socialized as a baby and hates being petted therefore hates being groomed. Good luck on your new bun! I hope you win lots of blue ribbons :D

Thank you all for the input! I greatly appreciate it! I am new to the rabbit scene but have been researching heavily into it. I had a havana buck before unaltered and he was the sweetest rabbit. I would take him to school with me all the time. So I am a bit partial to havanas but have been reading about other breeds and want the best one for me. I picked english spots cause yes they are a more energetic breed, but it also says they can be handled easily and are generally calm and friendly. And so gosh darn pretty! Lol. I understand lionheads are still developing and am on a fence about them if I should get one or not. More leaning to the not though....but then again if the torts and rews pass next year they will be accepted to my understanding. Jerseys are so fluffy and cute and are nicknamed the no kick bunnies yes? So besides the grooming which I would put up with, I thought they'd be a good choice as well. Himi's are like my dog, long and low! Lol. My weiner dog would love a bunny friend to play with. Yes she would be watched in a careful introduction. Any animal smaller than her she thinks is a friend and play buddy. Bigger animals she gets scared of lol. The red eyes I thought were neat but I can see where it would a.problem in a therapy situation.....upon further reading Harliquins and silver foxes seem like good fits even though they are on the bigger end of buns...gah! So many choices! How can I decide XP

Be careful having a dachshund around rabbits, they have been used to hunt and kill small animals (like rabbits) and some do have that instinct. I know someone who had her dachshunds kill 4 of her rabbits because the door was left open. Any dog can be a danger to rabbits, but hunting breeds pose more of a danger as they have more of an instinct to go after small animals. I would not let them out together and have your rabbit somewhere that can be closed off from the dog to be safe. You do know your dog, but you need to be careful for the sake of the rabbit.

I *love* my lionhead and think lionheads in general are really cute... but I wouldn't go with one for a show bunny for the reasons others have given - they're not ARBA recognized, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the breed and what you see (in a young one) isn't always what you get.

my Nala had a massive mane as a baby, and a bit of a skirt - she looked as though she was probably double-maned (which iirc is a DQ, but I could be totally wrong about that as I know nothing more about showing rabbits than what I overhear on RO :p). I was trimming her skirt when she was a baby because stuff kept getting caught in it (hay, litter, etc.). when she was about 4 mos old, I decided to let it grow back out 'cause I kinda missed it... but by the time it was starting to grow back, she suddenly molted her baby coat (at a week shy of 5 mos). she lost like 2/3-3/4 of the density of her mane and what little bit of a skirt she had... 2 1/2 mos later, none of it has grown back. she looks like a different rabbit than she did before her first molt.

Nala at 4-5 mos (you can see a hint of a skirt on her hip where it was starting to grow back in):

DSCF05062.jpg

Nala at 6-7 mos:

DSCF08662.jpg

Yes I would be careful. Even though she has no hunting instict at all. My sister had ferrets. And the badger dog was sooooo hyper and excited when she got a wiff. I thought oh, maybe she does have some drive. But the ferret was so dominate that it only took about 5 minutes of rough and tumble play for her to go hiding between my legs. And the ferret was still jumping on her wanting to play! I know ferrets and rabbits are different, but although I will be careful and responsible with both of tjem. I personally am not worried about it. Heck, even my sugar glider beats up on her! My poor submissive weiner! Lol

Yeah her name is sugarcube. And your bunny is too cute! Though I didn't know lionheads could be so inconsistant. I guess that takes them off the list. Thank for the advice

well, they're a newer breed, not yet recognized for showing and wildly popular as pets... from what I've heard, there's a fair amount of disagreement as far as people's goals with a lionhead breeding program (ie not all breeders are working towards the same standards, especially since some breed for pet characteristics while others breed in hopes of furthering the breed/getting them recognized with ARBA and such) and even when goals are similar, the newness of the breed means they've yet to be bred out to the point of consistency. they've also got the issue of the mane gene being dominant and stacking (ie two single mane rabbits will produce approximately 50% single-maned offspring (one dominant/one recessive gene), 25% double-maned (two dominant) and 25% with no mane (two recessive)) - the only way to guarantee all single mane offspring would be to breed a double-mane with a no-mane. it's similar to the dwarf gene in hollands, where sometimes they don't get it and are larger/not show-quality and other times you get a peanut (two dwarf genes), which is fatal. lionheads originate from a cross between wooly breeds and dwarf breeds, iirc, which would make getting one copy of the dwarf gene in each offspring another concern in a breeding program. all in all, they're a very complicated breed!

You might also look at the availability in your state of the breeds that you're interested in. I don't see many Harlequins or Silver Fox in rabbit shows around us. The harder to find breeds will be more difficult to get and there would be less competition at shows.

From what I've seen, Harlis and Silver foxes are pretty rare everywhere. As far as temperament goes, Harlequins and Silver foxes are fairly mellow across the board. Personally, my shyest rabbit is a silver fox cross, but A) She's an individual, and B) she's mostly New Zealand, which I've heard have a reputation for being shy.

Another really friendly breed is the English Lop, but their ears are high maintenance. If they scratch them because they've stepped on them, it could mean your prize show rabbit can no longer be shown. And I've heard others say that they're fragile as well. But my 9 month old doe follows my fiance around like a puppy dog, or she'll snuggle on the bed with him and take a nap. They're also a hard breed to find.

My lionhead buck is a little punk. ;) The grooming can be annoying if they're prone to matting, but thankfully, mine is low-maintenance in that once I got his poopy bum cleaned and trimmed, we're no longer having issues with his wool at all.

Our Polish is one of the easiest to handle out of all of our rabbits. Imbrium mentioned the Dwarf, False Dwarf (doesn't inherit dwarfism), and Peanuts (double dwarf). And our girl is one of those overgrown False Dwarves, she's almost twice the size she should be. :)

It's really down to what works best for you and your family. Some of the larger breeds are so mellow, but more to handle makes it difficult to support the whole body. But every rabbit is an individual, I would agree with going for an adult rabbit, that way you know what his personality is going to be, I also find does can be a little more volatile at times.

Good luck in your search, and in your future showing career!

Latest posts

Back