I can't believe people sometimes >=T

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
The sweetest broken black Holland Lop at our shelter, Angus, has really back luck with adopted homes. The first home, the woman had gotten pregnant and so she returned him. Within a week, Angus was adopted again (This is one gentle natured, well mannered, and affectionate rabbit). Two months in, he was returned because he peed on the carpet and the girl was going away for school. And within two days, Angus was adopted for the third time, only two weeks ago.

Last night, I had a very uneasy urge to go check craigslist. I ignored it, but for some reason I knew I would regret it if I hadn't checked the pets section. At midnight last night, I found an ad for a "FREE BUNNY!!!!" and sure enough, it was an ad from an Ashley who had adopted a broken black Holland Lop named Angus from the Vancouver SPCA - she had moved into a no pets building and was looking to give him away for free. First of all, when you adopt an animal from the SPCA you sign a contract saying that if you've had the animal under a year, you must immediately surrender it to the SPCA and that you cannot give it away to another said party.

If was one stressful long night and morning, but with the help of my volunteer coordinator, we were able to get Angus just in time And I mean literally, just in time, as someone had come over to take him.

When we called her last week for a follow up, it was a wrong number. She gave the SPCA an incorrect number, luckily she posted her REAL number on craigslist.
This is so unfair to Angus >=T She only had him for TWO WEEKS. I think you'd know that you were moving two weeks ago, and you still get a pet?

I am with you I can't believe people, but they do stuff like this ALL the time. I am so glad you happened to look and see Angus there so you could get him back before he ended up who knows where. People can be completely self involved and irresponsible. I can't imagine how she didn't think of this bunny. Why would she even bother adopting him? and giving the SPCA a fake number! Geeze.

Poor thing! I'd pee on the carpet too if I had no idea where my home was! he probably has no clue where to potty!

Bo still pees on things now and then..... I just deal with it..... he's not loose all the time because of it.

I hate people for the most part. I far prefer my animals!

Angus's story just broke my heart :(. He deserved so much more than he was given. I wouldn't get rid of my child (if I had one) because he/she had an accident on the floor. An animal should be no different! And it's ridiculous that his new "owner" was going to give him away for free after just 2 weeks because she was moving. Yeah right. Sometimes people just disgust me. Really they do.

Thank goodness Angus was rescued in time. I hope and pray he'll find the one forever home he's been looking for.

Did they even bother to do a reference and vet check? Sometimes I think some shelters don't even care where the rabbit ends up. Poor Angus. I really think some really needs to carefully checkout his next potential home. I would suggest a home visit.

Angus is not his self right now, he will remain in foster with our coordinator until he returns to his old self. And we're going to be extra strict with who he goes to.

The old manager did not require references or vet checks. We do in home, and over the phone follow ups. But since she moved, and gave an incorrect number.. well =T

We have a new manager now, and he is much more stirct on the application process (Thank goodness!). Hopefully, there will not be any mistakes this time.

PixieStixxxx wrote:
At midnight last night, I found an ad for a "FREE BUNNY!!!!" and sure enough, it was an ad from an Ashley who had adopted a broken black Holland Lop named Angus from the Vancouver SPCA - she had moved into a no pets building and was looking to give him away for free.
Where I live... Even if the application says no pets... If they decide to accept your application and you move in, they can't do anything by law if you decide to get a pet unless your pet is a danger to other people or you don't clean the litter box enough for it to smell in other apartments. I guess I'm pretty lucky to live where I do.

Poor little guy, I hope he finds a good forever home soon.

This pisses me off so much...WOW. Unfortunately, I CAN believe people these days. This is just horrible.

The rescue I volunteer at doesn't do background or vet or reference checks either, but they do chip the bunnies and if they end up at the humane society or something they sue for some insignificant amount like $250 or something. I wish we did more of a check, but apparently someone else already suggested that only to be shot down because it's a hassle.

Two weeks ago, we got three bunnies back that were adopted 2 years ago, a bonded pair and a single. The lady brought them back because they were too much to handle. I can't imagine having an animal for that long and then saying eh you're too much to handle, go away.

But at least she brought them back to us I guess....poor babies.

Tracy

We tatoo all our animals, so that if they end up at any shelter in any location.. we can track down the animal, and go after the irresonsible owner.

I'm still in shock about poor Angus. This Ashley girl was really upset that we were taking him back, and said that she was already giving him to someone else. She didn't even do a background check, it was a first response gets the rabbit situation. A free bunny on craigslist, without a screening? Shows how much she cared at all. I have no problem playing the legal game - she did sign a contract, and she was breaching it.

timetowaste wrote:
Two weeks ago, we got three bunnies back that were adopted 2 years ago, a bonded pair and a single. The lady brought them back because they were too much to handle. I can't imagine having an animal for that long and then saying eh you're too much to handle, go away.

But at least she brought them back to us I guess....poor babies.
Yeah, at least she was "responsible" enough to do that.

That's awful... poor Angus... If I lived anywhere close enough I'd take him, and give him a 'forever' home, that would mean forever! :(

What did you say to this Ashley girl? I would have been furious!

I'm with Bo B Bunny... I prefer animals to people.... apart from bunny people that is lol!

Look at Benson. If it hadn't been for Amy he would have been put to sleep.

It breaks my heart and angers me as well when I read stories like this.

But be ever thankful that youdon't live in my area because while there may be animal rights laws on the books (weak in my estimation, but at least there are some); there are few rescue organizationsand proper backing from law enforcement to get anything done. Cats are a huge problem in the area I live andhave been the main focus of our personal rescue efforts for years. It just makes me sick how humans can behave. Rabbits are still considered "farm animals" hereand even the good vets are lucky if they've ever seen a client come through their door with one....expect law enforcement to do something about an abused or neglectedrabbit....they'd probably laugh themselves silly. :grumpy: Of course we also live in an area where Pit Bull fighting is still ignored....that just about says it all for me.:grumpy:

Nothing is fool proof. We've done the reference checks and still had rabbits returned, whether voluntarily or having the threat of the police showing up at the door, in poor condition. I've had various experiences with shelters. Some will do a check, others not.

I've been following up with Abner's new owner closely. She is great with getting back to me. I will certainly keep in touch with Monty's new owner. Also keep in contact with Tippy's adopters. They are also volunteers with the rescue. They even gave me pics of him and his new companion.

Anyway, as I said no system is fool proof.

mouse_chalk wrote:
I'm with Bo B Bunny... I prefer animals to people.... apart from bunny people that is lol!
Iagree!!!!

Poor little bunners. I just can't even imagine being bounced around like that. People who treat animals like a disposable object disgust me. They are poor excuses for humans. I could go on and on and on on this but I wont.

Prayers for Angus:pray:

I know how you feel. My single, Tobi, was originally a prize at the county fair. The parents of the kid who won her decided, after a couple weeks, they didn't want her. (So why did they let their kid put his name in the drawing????)
She was picked up from the shelter by my local HRS chapter, and we only had her for about a month, just long enough to get her spayed. She was adopted right away, but then returned after only a month. The woman had wanted to bond her with an existing bunny. She seemed nice enough, and the home visit went well, but she didn't want 2 individual bunnies, she wanted a pair. I will say, the day Tobi was returned, the woman seemed concerned about her, and brought back all the items that had been given with the adoption (Rubbermaid house, a couple of blankets, some crocks, and a rug.) But if she really cared that much, she would have made it work out.

My fiance and i took her in, our HRS had absolutely no spaces for fosters at that time, so she may have been put down if we hadn't. That was about 9 months ago, and although we had only agreed to take her on a temporary basis, we have decided to keep her. For the first couple months, she was a little hostile and nipped, but she now runs to greet us and gives us kisses! She is a very sweet girl, it is so hard for me to believe she had such a difficult time finding a home.

Yeah, Most people who have bunnies and treat them right are ok by me! LOL

mouse_chalk wrote:

Latest posts

Back