I booked the rat boy's neuters....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal. Sounds like he's just losing those fluids and some blood. I know a lot of times they don't glue or stitch cause there's not much that can bleed in there.

Give them a treat for me. Also Merlin says haha he still has his.

People on the rat forum are saying it is very unusual for a vet to not close the area and that I should be unhappy with the service.

I was not about to give them back to the vet to have them go under AGAIN to glue or close the area.

For now, I am going to watch their areas and make sure it is clean. Rats groom themselves more than rabbits, so I am sure everything will stay clean. If something goes wrong...it is all on the vet, not my wallet (says I).

I think it's a more recent type of thing they are doing. I remember we had a cat neutered and the vet told us then it was a new practice.... it's healthier for them or something.......

I think they will be fine.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think it's a more recent type of thing they are doing. I remember we had a cat neutered and the vet told us then it was a new practice.... it's healthier for them or something.......

I think they will be fine.

I think they will be fine, too. People on the rat forum really tend to over-hype things. You can't post about anything without someone picking out the "bad".

The boys are fine this morning. I am going to wait until about noon to give them their Metacam :).

My rat lover friend, Miranda (the girl who I took those 3 rats from last year), is coming up from Phoenix today to spend the weekend with me....since Ryan is in Madison, WI right now :).

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember one of the exotics/rat vets where I live not closing for neuters either. I'll see if I can confirm that.

I'm glad they are feeling better. Don't be shy to give the Metacam if you see any discomfort.
Whew, what a day for you - I'm sure you're glad it's over.
Give the boys some nice treats.

That's cool!

Ya know, back in the day (and still some today) they castrate baby pigs by sticking them upside down in a boot and cutting them off........ awful yes! but if that works.....

I'm glad your boys have pain meds ;)

EileenH wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember one of the exotics/rat vets where I live not closing for neuters either. I'll see if I can confirm that.

I'm glad they are feeling better. Don't be shy to give the Metacam if you see any discomfort.
Whew, what a day for you - I'm sure you're glad it's over.
Give the boys some nice treats.

That would be great if you could confirm that for me, Eileen. I have never heard of it, but I never research anything about it, either.

I'd much rather have used this vet (that I have used before) to neuter my boys for $65 each and be able to afford it...then use a different vet that charges $100+ each and not be able to afford it. I'd love to get the girls spayed, but it will take me months to save $500 from selling hammocks and I think it would be too late to spay them by then.

I ran it past Bluemoon as I thought it was her vet that left them open. She said she hadn't seen a rat neuter done at the vet she was at, so she couldn't say but she checked on a veterinary information network she has access to at Cornell,and it seems to be acceptable both ways. Some vets leave it open, while others close.

As long as they have been eating well and didn't seem to be any more pain than would be considered normal, I think it's just one way of doing it.

EileenH wrote:
I ran it past Bluemoon as I thought it was her vet that left them open. She said she hadn't seen a rat neuter done at the vet she was at, so she couldn't say but she checked on a veterinary information network she has access to at Cornell,and it seems to be acceptable both ways. Some vets leave it open, while others close.

As long as they have been eating well and didn't seem to be any more pain than would be considered normal, I think it's just one way of doing it.
Thank you, Eileen. I am glad to see that it is okay the way that this vet neutered them. Would you mind sharing the information on the rat forum, so maybe others can learn it, too?

The boys are doing well. I gave them Metacam earlier, even though they probably didn't need it because they were bouncing all over the cage being happy little guys.

:biggrin2:

I am not familiar with rats, but your cuties inspire me to adopt :nod, why did you neuter them? Was it so you could put them with your girls? Or are they aggresive without being neutered? Just wondering because I may have to talk my husband into expanding our animal family(hehe) in a month or so! I hope your guys are feeling better today!

devotedmommy wrote:
I am not familiar with rats, but your cuties inspire me to adopt :nod, why did you neuter them? Was it so you could put them with your girls? Or are they aggresive without being neutered? Just wondering because I may have to talk my husband into expanding our animal family(hehe) in a month or so! I hope your guys are feeling better today!

Definitely do a lot of research on ratties before making the plunge, they definitely are not "cheap pocket pets" ;). I always have to tell people this because a lot of people don't understand how a $5 or free rat can end up costing more than a dog!

I neutered my boys for health reasons and so that they could go back to live with their momma and sisters in the other room. It would have been better for the girls to be spayed, but it would cost $500 to spay all four and by the time I could save that money...I wouldn't feel comfortable spaying at their cage. I feel that neutered males are much calmer, happier, and healthier than unaltered boys. My Spartan is neutered and he is going on 2.5 years old...where as unaltered Louie passed at 1.5 and unaltered Ralphie is slowing down at 1.5....of course....genetics definitely play a role.

Ohhh...and my boys are doing AWESOME :biggrin2:! They are bouncy & happy....you'd never know they went through neuter surgeries!

undergunfire wrote:
Definitely do a lot of research on ratties before making the plunge, they definitely are not "cheap pocket pets" ;). I always have to tell people this because a lot of people don't understand how a $5 or free rat can end up costing more than a dog!
I definitely understand and I have been reading about them as much as I can find on the internet. I want to wait about a month or so to get them because I want to make sure I have the whole set up and all the gear to give them a good start in their new home. I would also like to take the time to learn more about them as pets since neither my husband or me have ever had one. Thanks for the info!! I may be asking for more advice if we end up getting some! Which if I have my way we will!

Devotedmommy....feel free to ask me any questions you'd like :biggrin2:! I may also be able to help you locate a reputable breeder or a rescue to get your ratties from. Maybe a reputable breeder who actually knows the lineage of their rats would be good for your first ones....these are rats that have been bred free of cancer and other most common health issues.

The boys are doing just great! Their areas are closing nicely. I will snap some pictures of them tomorrow after work ;).

Great! I'm glad they are doing so well. I'd worry myself sick over tiny guys like that. I was a mess when I had Bo done, and kittens OMG! LOL!

Hmm...I have two male rats and am interested in getting them neutered. However, I called a vet (I'm in San Diego, CA) and the quote is $250!!! Whew!! Any suggestions? Also, does it make them less odorous? Less aggressive right? My Patches so far had two bites on his back.

Latest posts

Back