I applied to college today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
I finally did it and I'm so proud of myself! I applied to college today. This year marked 8 years since I graduated high school and it was beginning to feel like college just wasn't going to be in my future. And it was sad since my baby brother was getting ready to leave for his freshman year this coming Friday. But I did it and I feel really, really good about it.

Coming out of high school I had the acceptance letters, grades, and scholarships to go, but things happened at home and I couldn't go away because my family needed me to help pay for our living expenses. And then I got sick. And then I couldn't work and therefore couldn't afford school. And then I was sick again. But now I'm healthier than I've been in a long time and even though I'm not 100%, I am where I need to be to get there. So it was the perfect time. And I ceased it!

I'm only planning on going to a community school for the first two years because frankly the money is an issue. I am hoping some grants and financial aid will help me do what I need to, but I need to be realistic and that's what makes the most sense for me right now. I'm lucky because I think our community college (Cuyahoga County - Tri-C) is a pretty good school and offers a ton of classes and majors. I'm going to go for two years and get my pre-requisites done and then think about where I'd like to get my bachelors from. I have a lot to think about and there was some talk of me even starting this semester, but I just didn't feel like rushing was the right thing to do. So I'm' going to take a "for fun" class this semester to get back in the groove of things so I can start my actual classes in January of 2009. I'll have just turned 26. Better late than ever, right?!

I'm not sure where I want to take everything. I could get my transcripts from high school and probably shoot past some of the pre-requisites (I know my English and Science grades and abilities are up there), but I think I want to take those classes anyway. It's been a long time since school and I need the refresher. It'll be good for me - the whole thing will be - and I'm looking forward to it all.

Here are some of the thoughts I have as far as where I'd like to go major-wise:
-- Veterinary Tech.
-- Dietetics (with a focus on either eating disorders or geriatrics)
-- Psychology (with a focus on adolescents and trauma)
-- Degree in English with a minor in Art and then go on to get my masters in Art Therapy Counseling

I know those all go in different directions, but I have time. And I have lots to think about. The good thing is that I'm finally moving forward - no, that's the great thing. I'm just really proud of myself because this has been a source of anxiety, shame, fear, and guilt for a long, long time. But I finally said "screw it - I'm doing it for ME." And, if you know me at all you'll know that's a huge deal and definitely a cause to celebrate.

So celebrate I am :yahoo:!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I'm proud of you, as well. I continued my college education after a 22 year hiatus to raise my family.....it's really a great decision. Take care, and give yourself a big hug from me!!!!

Congratulations to you!:party:You are taking such a brave step!

It is my experience that older students often excel in their education, because they take it seriously (having actually struggled in the workplace, and struggled to survive on their own dime). My boyfriend Nate had returned to attend University; 31 years old! He is doing wonderfully (and you will too!) (On a sour note, I remember one older guy in my classes who had a very I-know it all, I've done it allattitude towards everything, which made it hard on his classmates and profs. Guess it is hard for some people to admit that they don't know it all :biggrin2:)

I went to a college with a very strong vet tech program. I'm currently kicking myself because if I were a vet tech, I'd be able to take so much better medical care of my own creatures... (not like that's the best reason, but saving $$$ is fun :)

Education opens your mind to such awesome possibilities. I'm excited for you!

Community colleges are a great place to start. I took one class a semester for years.
Look into your 101's: English 101, a beginner math, 101 Psych...those classes will most likely transfer into whatever you choose when you know what you want to do.

I took English 101 & 102, Math 101, Psych101, Bio 101 & 102 just to take the basics. Years later I decided to go to vet tech school, and I had at least 6 classes that transferred over, which was great since the tech program is pretty intense - it was that much less to do so I could focus on what I really needed.

My husband is a teacher at our local community college - it is a great college. He's always telling people that you can go for 2 years there, and when you transfer to a 4 year for your bachelor's you graduate with the same degree as the people who went there for 4 years but you saved a lot of money. It really is the way to go.

It is never too late. I went to vet tech school when I was 35 yrs old! Congratulations, sounds like you are in a good place.

WOW!! That's so great!! I know what that's like, too. I had to put off school for a long time due getting sick out of the blue for a long time. How exciting!!!! I'm so happy for you! I'm going back to school next year after being out for too long too. :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

I thought about doing the Vet Tech program, but after "observing" in a busy vet clinic, I knew I couldn't handle all the blood, I got woozy every time I saw an animal getting jabbed with a needle. Now I'm planning to do the 2 yr physical therapy assistant program. Much mroe my speed, hehe :). Art therapy sounds like a LOT of fun.

Latest posts

Back