I am the worse Bunny Owner Ever!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lily has started to due this thing where shejumps in your lap ehenever she can. It is really cute and I've enjoyedgetting to love on her at random, bunny in the lap, times.

There are times that she will jump in my lap growling with aggresstionthough she usually calms down after a bit. This morning was not thecase. AS I was sitting watch TV Lily jumped growling into my lap andliterally bit off a small pience of my middle finger. In surprise andshock I through her off of me. She fell a good distance from the couchhitting the floor fairly hard and stunned for a few seconds.

I feel horrible. I am a good bunny owner. We go outside, we eat freashfood and water everyday, and have hours of playtime. But today I feelaweful. It was a total accident and in no way did I mean to throw herlike I did. There's a bandaid on my finger it is sore and bruised fromthe bite......

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Have you guys accidently donethings to your buns that you feel horrible about? Does everyone have atleast one incident?

I just feel like a total jerk.....

Oh yes!! You can't blame yourselfbecause it's a natural instinct to defend yourself. Therewere a few times I had to swat Pristine off the couch because she wasbeing a nuisance. Don't worry about it. If Lilydrew blood, I say she deserved it!

You reacted out of pure instinct :hug2

I assume she's okay? There have been times when the rabbits havewriggled out of my arms and fallen to the floor. I was sure they hadbroken a bone or something, but we've never had any serious injuries. Ifelt horrible about it, of course, but these things sometimes happen.

I don't think she'll be doing that again anytime soon ;)

Oh my..oh yes!!

I won't go on in detail about all of the instances when my bunnies and I have had issues.

I think a lot of us have had a time like this. And, no it does not make you a bad bunny owner.

I was told not to "wear the hair shirt" by a good friend. In other words...don't beat yourself up over this.

Our Benji bit me very hard one time and I smacked him on the nosereally hard. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I thought I might havechanged his IQ. I think it startled both of us. It took him a few daysto get over it (me too!), but he never bit me again. His problem wasbeing a teen-bunny with a bad territorial issue. What it did for me wasremind me of how fragile they really are and how careful I need to be.I'll bump the thread for those that are interested.

Binkie once bit me and wouldn't let go. She got me in that piece ofskin between the thumb and index finger. OUCH!!!! I finally turned herlitterpan over on top of her and she let go...and then she screamed.That's another story, though.

~Jim

Don't feel bad! You reacted just like everyoneelse would. I've done stupid things to my rabbits sometimes too. Theworse was when I dropped Smudge.. luckly she was ok!

Please don't feel bad:). It was pure instinct. I'm sure Lily knows that you love her, she has probably already forgiven you.

JimD wrote:
Oh my..oh yes!!

I won't go on in detail about all of the instances when my bunnies and I have had issues.

I think a lot of us have had a time like this. And, no it does not make you a bad bunny owner.

I was told not to "wear the hair shirt" by a good friend. In other words...don't beat yourself up over this.

Our Benji bit me very hard one time and I smacked him on the nosereally hard. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I thought I might havechanged his IQ. I think it startled both of us. It took him a few daysto get over it (me too!), but he never bit me again. His problem wasbeing a teen-bunny with a bad territorial issue. What it did for me wasremind me of how fragile they really are and how careful I need to be.I'll bump the thread for those that are interested.

Binkie once bit me and wouldn't let go. She got me in that piece ofskin between the thumb and index finger. OUCH!!!! I finally turned herlitterpan over on top of her and she let go...and then she screamed.That's another story, though.

~Jim

Oh God!! I would have killed her!! :shock:

Lissa wrote:
JimD wrote:

~Jim

Oh God!! I would have killed her!! :shock:
....crossed my mind more that a few times.:X

...earned her the nickname of "Mittens"....like the kind you wear in the winter.

I don't know if she's gotten less agressive....or if I've just gottenquicker.:ponder:I think it's more of a territorialthing, because she's fine once she's out of her cage.

I think we've all had time like that and thenfelt like total bullies afterwards. My worst one was when my kits werearound three weeks old and living in outdoor hutch with mum.
I was moving the hutch around by lifting and dragging one end and thewire on the bottom of the cage had become untacked at one spot. Well ofcourse while I was lifting it one of the kits decided to stick it'shead down bewteen the loose wire and the wood of the hutch. Iunknowingly lowered the hutch back down withy the kits head stuck underthe wood! I screamed when I saw it and really freaked out, I thoughtfor sure it would be dead. I lifted the hutch up, got it out and it wasalive but wouldn't move. I took it inside with me and put it on my bedand it moved slowly until it was between some pillows and just satthere eyes closed and breathing shallow for about 20 minutes. I was soupset and crying the whole time and dind't know what to do, I was sosure it was about to die. So I cuddled up next to him and told him hewas beautiful and I loved him and I was so sorry. Then 10 seconds laterthe little devil got up and was running around like nothing everhappened! He drank and ate and did cute little baby binkies and bit mynose and pulled my hair and everything. I was amazed but still kept himin over night just in case. He was fine ever since thank goodness but INEVER move cages or hutches without removing young rabbits now.

I haven't done anything to my rabbits butrecently my parrot was sitting on my finger..he bit me so hard Ithought that he would break a bone so I swung my arm so hardhefell off my hand and onto the floor. I don't even regretit....

Back