I am syringe feeding Beau- MOVED from trial boad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
angieluv wrote:
Yesterday was the day after Beau had his teeth filed. He is not eating his normal slurry of critical care and oxbow BBT . He is rejecting the food that he usually likes and trying to eat hay and greens. he is really really trying to eat greens so I called the vet office yesterday and the tech said that " he may feel that he can eat thoses things now so he is trying to eat the normal things ; he had a couple of spurs causing an abrasion on his inner cheek so that probably feel better but since he has multiple missing teeth it is not likely that he can chew well.

Well I sort of let it go yesterday as I thought maybe he could eat tiny bits of greens and hay (I even used a food processor to mix up greens in a slurry for him) I have given him dishes of pumpkin and banana and offered his favorite of cherry pedialyte.

he doesn't want anything that he previously liked including the cherry pedialyte. This AM I saw "NO POOP" and alot of wasted food so I started to force feed him critical care and pumpkin, gave him a dose of metacam , and force fed him pedilayte.

he is really fighting me when I try to feed him and trying to bite me with his newly trimmed little incisors .
he has never behaved this way after he came back from the dentist.
it is almost as if the teeth feel different and because of that he doesn't want to eat it If he was in pain he wouldn't be trying to chew veggies and hay when he really can't do it. ??? Would he?
I am starting to get a little worried about this ; I hope I don't have to syringe feed him for long.
I did get him to poop normally but it was only after I got food into him.

JimD wrote:

Poor Beau : ( The last time I went to the dentist, he used some kind of antibacterial/disinfectant fluid to flush the wounds that made everything taste wierd for a day or two. I hope he gets back to his old self soon!

Pipp wrote:

Pipp always reacts differently each time she gets home from the dentist. With her, one abrasion and she folds, she's such a wimp, and it usually takes a day or two before she starts feeling better if she's had an abrasion. I think depending on where it is, some food is more of an irritant than others.

Once I think they stretched her mouth open too far and it was sore so she didn't want to open it much.

Sometimes she wants to drink, sometimes she wont' drink at all.

This probably doesn't answer any questions or help much, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Hope he starts eating everything in sight and pooping up a storm soon!

tonyshuman:

Hmmm... Don't know what to say but I know I didn't want to eat anything for a few days after I had my wisdom teeth pulled (part of that was a reaction to the vicodin, but same difference), so maybe he's just still recovering. I hope he has poos soon! Have you tried sticking food in his face so that he gets annoyed at it until he starts biting it? That's one way to get a bunny to eat hay that doesn't want to. Maybe if you do that he'll remember just how tasty greens are and start eating a ton. Don't stress him out with it, though. He might just need some time to recoup.:twitch:

BoTheBunny wrote:

Poor Beau! he's been through so much!

I would imagine it has to do with something feeling weird if he wants to eat one thing and not others...

I know cats and dogs will eat grass if their tummies are upset..... I wonder if that is what is going on?

I can't help much but I would suggest just keep trying to feed him and force feed the essentials......

:hugs:

angieluv wrote:

Everyones comments about this helped me a lot .. Thank YOU RO
I guess it entered my mind that the taste of the food could be altered by a dental and it also helped me, sas, to know that your buns do not act consistently after they get their teeth done.

I decided to take the greens out not because he isn't enjoying dragging them around in his front teeth but I thought maybe he would focus on his other food if I took the greens out

temporarily he is eating again ( the critical care and BBT slurry) on his own ( not as much as normal) and he's pooping also

When he stabilizes I will place greens back and let him try to to eat them. it is pathetic to watch him trying to eat hay and greens and not being able to... but the situation with him is still very much improved because we finally got the dental work done.:)

BoTheBunny wrote:

Great to read that he's doing well! I've been thinking of him and you!

I laughed when I read about him dragging his greens around..... "well, I can't eat them, but I'll sure enjoy playing with them!"

slavetoabunny wrote:

Cricket is still not eating her hay and pellets after having her abscessed teeth pulled on Thursday. She is, however, loving her critical care mush. I mix it until it is about the texture of mashed potatoes (it looks like a pile of mushy poo, lol). The mush is also great for mixing her baytril in! She is also eating finely chopped vegetables.

Flashy wrote:

Man, you needed a break. I'm glad he is doing better this morning, but how rough is it that he struggled after the op. I do hope he keeps improving now though.

naturestee1 wrote:

How is the little man feeling today?

angieluv wrote:

I don't know how he's feeling

but he is eating and pooping ............... and right now that 's good enough

I'm tired of looking at him..........:)

he is sucking all my attention away from the others ;

I think that i should place him in protective isolation as the rest of the room could rebel after I leave.......... the sick ones always come first which is unfortunate for the well ones.

tonyshuman wrote:

eating and pooping is great!!

BoTheBunny wrote:
Eating and pooping is awesome in bunnyland!

I think as long as the others get treats, Beau will be safe! ;)

JadeIcing wrote:

As I like to think...the well ones would prefer us to look but not touch.

Latest posts

Back