I am so confused!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
The bonding between Bob and Zeus seems to be going really well.

It looked at though Bob was bowing to Zeus, saying groom me...I thought that's what it means, and Bob is trying to be the dominate one.

But I just read somewhere that bowing means he's eing submissive...

I thought Bob was showing signs of dominance when he was doing the thumping and going in to Z's cage.

But Zeus was mounting Bob tonight, and grooming him. Everytime Z moved, Bob would bow and ry to get under Z...until Z groomed him.

After a bit, Zeus ran away from Bob and went to lay down, but Bob was thumping.

It may seem silly I'm not understanding, and I've read so much too!

Perhaps, because of Bob's past, I secretly hope he the strong one...

thoughts please...thanks

They both sound like they want to be dominant but that right now Bob is winning in that Zeus is the one who gets fed up and goes away.

Bowing down does mean dominance, although many people used to think it was being submissive in the days before we knew too much about buns.

Thanks Tracey!
Thats what it looked like to me!

Same behaviors today...
Zeus is still trying, because he mounts Bob. But then immediately after a mount, he starts grooming him.
Bob has not groomed at all.

Wow! They hd their first real scuffle! I used a lot of water from the spray bottle!
Zeus will groom Bob whenever Bob asks for it. But once Zeus had stopped and wouldn't give in, Bob din't like it. Bob isn't quite quick enough to mount Zeus; and Z won't let him!
When I got them separated, I put the barrier up. Now they are as calm as can be.

That could be a potential area of reoccuring problem- if Zeus is not grooming Bob enough. One to watch probably. Could also lead to bullying if they don't sort it out.

Yes, I stopped it and separated them. I had them in together for about an hour! Before that it had been more like 30-40 minutes. Zeus had been grooming Bob most of the time...so I can see how he got sick of it.
I watched closely to see if Bob was bullying...he did hop after Z a little bit, but not all the time and Bob wasn't relentless...

Thanks again Tracy for your input..I appreciate it..I'm very new to this!

Three sessions today. As soon as the gate comes down, Bob goes right over to Zeus, and Z starts grooming. I'm uncertain though why Z still tries to front mount Bob... and Bob lets him.
Also, Zeus will take his two front paws and "dig" (w/o the force of actual digging) on Bob's back. I haven't been abe to find this behavior in any bonding article I've read
Any idea on what it might mean?

What happenings today!
I got up a little later than usual this morning...only to find that Bob had jumped over the 15 inch gate to be with Zeus! I have no idea how long he had been there but there were no signs of negativity from Zeus. I put Bob back as I had to leave for a bit. I came back and over he was again!

Most of the afternoon today, I have had them outside in a bunny playpen. It's been about 2 hours, no thumping or even mounting by either one. Zeus still grooms Bob. And just a few minutes ago, Bob was licking Z!

Last night, I took the gate down, gave them their lettuce together, and after a few minutes, Z went over to Bobs plate and ate off of it. Bob was somewhere else, and din't seem to care.

I am very happy to see how things are going...
Is Bob licking Zeus a sign of love and acceptancve now? or is Zeus still trying? He bowed a few times today, and Bob ignored it until just a bit ago. I'm not sure b/c ther is no thumping...

Yeay!!! thanks! So you think Bob's grooming means they're closer to being pals than Zeus trying to take over?

I long do you think they could be together (if Bob jumps over again)?

I know it's hard to answer that!!!! I'm just afrain since on SAturday I'll be gone about 4 hours....

Haha....15" is nothing to a rabbit! As Tracy said, bonding seems to be moving in a very positive direction. Personally, I would not leave them together for 4 hours unsupervised. Can you do something to raise the barrier so they can't get together? I assume they can see each other through the barrier.

Hi Patti!
Yes they do see eachother through it!
I knew 15 inches would be easy...he used to jump up onto my bed! I just didn't think Bob would jump over it!
I rearrnged the cages so they are mosty the barrier; and they can still see each other.
They were outside for about 2 1/2 to three hours today (while I was out here too!) and not even one mount or thump!

I was happy to see Bob grooming Z just a bit.
I think this is an aceptance thing??? Z later groomed Bob too.

Thanks for your thoughts and cheerleading!

awww...
I gave the boys their lettuce...They both had been over by Z's dish at the time. Zeus started eating and Bob came right over too...they were both eating from the same plate...

precious!!!!!!!!!!

I am soo happy with they way things have been going. Just a week ago, when one bun went into the other's cage, they'd hop in after him and they'd scuffle. THe past few days, they don't mind! In fact, Bob went in his to eat some pellets, Zeus followed and just sat in there...
THey shared the same plate again....

Oh and get htis!!!! Last night, I got up to check on them, and just as I turned the corner, I saw Bob doing his running jump to hop over the barrier, that I thought I fixed so he couldn't ! I guess he really wanted to be with his new best pal!!
I feel bad now when I have to put the gate up!
It seems like they are just having fun today!
One minute they are hopping after one another, the next they're doing their own thing, then back together again!

One hapy family are we!

Well, it's been a few days...

Here's an update...
Yesterday and today Bob and Zeus have been together without any barrier. There have been ne scuffles or fights that I can tell. I was in and out yesterday, gone a couple of hours at one point. Last night was the first night that I didn't put the gate up. I slept with one ear up just in case.
Today, I left them too, knowing I could scoot home at lunch. All seemed well.
They still haven't settled I think. Zeus still grooms Bob and gets a little sick of it. I noticed that Bob tries to mount him quite a bit, but that's because Zeus keeps getting away. Z will groom Bob, but I think Bob wants/needs more...Tonight Zeus mounted Bob and Bob didn't try that hard to get away...Zeus will be grooming Bob's back, and then he'll try mounting. What does it mean when Z scratches at Bob's back? It doesn't look rough, and Bob doesn't try to get away.

What do ya think?

Latest posts

Back