I am so bad at titles! :P

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbi

Reaction score
There are a few things I've noticed, and stuff.. Just a random post with everything in it, I guess!

Firstly, food! I feed Flopsy and Snuggles "Super Guinea",which is a Guinea pig food. Originally when my Guinea pig andRabbit lived together, I was told that Guinea pigs couldn't eat Rabbitfood. I still do because my sister gets it in large bags, andwe share it out (some of her Rabbits share with Guinea pigs,too). This isn'ta problem, however, because theylove it. But, I noticed, on the few occations that I'vebrought different types of food (cheaper admittedly, as we're not inthe best situation with money), that the food that is only one colour,they won't eat. I was just curious as to why thatwas? (And no, they don't just eat hard food, they're spoiltwith vegetables every day! ;))

Another is toys. I was wondering if anyone could give me anysuggestion to some toys? Flopsy has a something which danglesdown of the side of her cage, which I put wood on (that I buy from petstores), which will help with her teeth. It has a bell on thebottom, and she just loves keping me up at night with it!:p I've also given her a toilet roll tube, but I've noticedshe tends to chew on it while playing, so to stop that, I've put somehay inside, so she's able to eat from each side! Obviously,this isn't enough, so I'm looking for ideas!

I also just want to say, since I've joined this forum three days ago,I'm addicted, or something. :p I learn somethingnew every day, and it's awesome. I also absolutely loveseeing pictures of all your bunnies, so keep them coming! ;)

-Abbi

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum Abbi!

As far as the food, I couldn't tell you why your bunnies won't eat thecheaper food, unless they just know it's cheaper. I only use PurinaRabbit Chow. It's a reputible company and they've got good qualitycontrol. I've heard things about food being contaminated and don't wantto take a chance on "off-brand" pellets.

We try all kinds of toys. Their favorite by far are the plastic babykeys. They also like cardboard of any kind, the little plasic ballswith the bells in them, various bird toys, paper plates(just got thisidea from Bo B Bunny:D), and pieces of plain untreated pine. Our Benjiloves to play with his blankie, too. He loves to play hide-a-seek withit. If we hold it over his and move it around in a circle he chasesafter it.

Don't worry about the addiction to the forum. Most of us are the sameway. I'm on every day. Sometimes for 7-8 hours. I, too have learnedsomething every day and have laughed and cried with the rest. Thepeople here are the best!!!!!

Bunnie - $25.00

Bunnie cage - $59.99

Food, toys, bowls, bottles, litter, etc. - $75.00

Friends on the Forum - PRICELESS

Jim

JimD wrote:
We try all kinds of toys. Their favorite by far are the plastic babykeys. They also like cardboard of any kind, the little plasic ballswith the bells in them, various bird toys, paper plates(just got thisidea from Bo B Bunny:D), and pieces of plain untreated pine. Our Benjiloves to play with his blankie, too. He loves to play hide-a-seek withit. If we hold it over his and move it around in a circle he chasesafter it.
Jim, Have you tried the paper plates yet? Bo likes ones that he can really get ahold of!

Don't worry about the bunny chewing the toilet paper roll, Abbi, theywill play with it a bit then chew it all up..... that's part of thefun! I wake up daily to a pile of cardboard on myfloor. A family member provides me with clean cardboard allthe time, he gets new pieces and eats some and tears the rest up andthrows it out on the floor (bunnies like things they can fit throughother things something like a baby's shapesorter).

Bo loves his blankie and ANY blankie.... he will hide under themsometimes and we act like we can't find him! "where'd the bunnygo????" :shock: He then peeks out and shakes hisears happily for he was so cunning! :D

Boxes or stools they can hop on or over are great too. Didyou know that there are bunny agility courses like dogshave??? Tubes like an old oatmeal cannister (forthe smaller buns) with both ends cut out are great..... Pepsi cartonsthey can slip into the corner opening..... flat pop crates like theWarehouse clubs sell sometimes..... they like hopping in and out ofthose! LOL

I think the keys with bunny toys are: Noise, hopping on/over, hiding, chewing, and flipping with their mouths....

I too use Purina. My rabbits look so much betterand no more yuckky butt for luv. For toys they have stuffanimals and keys and other little baby toys. Each has a box that has adoor and window and Luv just loves it.

Cristy

First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) Abbi, Flopsy and Snuggles

My personal experience with the cheaper, colourful rabbit food is it ishigher in all the *bad things* ex. sugar, colourings, fat while lowerin the things you want for them-protein, fibre ect. I don'tremember who told me this BUT the more unappealing the pellets are tolook at, is usually a sign of a nutritional value to our buns :)

In order to switch them to a higher grade of pellets, you may want toslowly wean them off the *fruit loops* by mixing half and half and thenslowly reducing the fruit loops in the mix of shredded wheat :)

I had a problem when I was in Taiwan with the *made in Taiwan*contaminated processing plants that made cheap as borscht rabbit food.My vet actually told me to switch and buy imported bun food!

Hopefully someone here (since I don't recall off hand) knows the %ratios for protein, fibre, ash and fat...I am not sure what guinea'seat nor what their systems require therefor I haven't a clue what theratio's are for their food :p

P.S.

we need pic's of Flopsy and Snuggles btw *grin grin* errrrr, its mandatory

Cher

Guinea pigs can eat rabbit food but they requirevitamin c which can be put in their water or feed them oranges,greenpeppers and other veges that contain vitamin c.bluebird

Latest posts

Back