I am so angry, I can't even cry...yet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Gosh, guys...I'm so angry...

I think I've mentioned my friend Ivan before. A couple months ago, due to many large issues (having to do with both him and his wife), our friendship had a falling out. This isn't the first time, but it's definitely the final.

At any rate, I just found out from his brother (with whom I am very close friends) that they lost their cat.

Turk was a beautiful black and white boy that was (I'm estimating) at least nine years of age. I'm basing this on the fact that our kitties are five years of age, and they'd had Turk for some time before we got our babies.

My friend told me that Turk suddenly started spraying around the house, and that instead of taking him to the vet for a sudden behaviour change in a senior-aged cat (a fact I made sure of in talking to him), they tossed him outside.

Now, to keep things in perspective...Turk was a very skittish kitty. In the many numerous times I'd been to their house, I'd seen Turk twice, and I'm the kind of person cats are drawn to and are uncharacteristically comfortable around. Even so, Turk was skittish even around me. Turk had also never been outdoors...so you have a skittish, senior-aged kitty that's never been outside and thus does not know how to defend himself, feed himself, protect himself, etc. that suddenly starts urinating around the house...and they toss him out.

The area they live in is right up against the hills in Altadena, California, and known for its lack of stray cats due to the number of natural predators (coyotes, bears, mountain lions, etc.), and for its very unfriendly setup toward stray cats (more streets than places to hide).

This is what they did to this kitty. They tossed him out into a very unfriendly environment, with absolutely no ability to care for or protect himself, at 8-9 yrs of age, and sick and probably in pain.

Just in hearing this, I was ticked...REALLY ticked. Then my friend told me Turk got hit by a car.

Guys, I can't quite put into words how hearing that someone I considered a brother and had a high amount of respect for did this to a kitty. True, his in-laws had a large hand in it...but they should've even known better! They didn't even take him to the vet...and they're very well off, so financial reasons aren't it.

Why don't people care more? I just don't understand why such a beautiful, sweet, innocent creature can be so uncared about. This happened to my boy, the peeing around the house suddenly, and we took him to the vet as immediately as we could! We then learned he had cystitis, changed his food, I held him almost the entire time he was ill, and he's just fine now. This could have probably been prevented.

Why don't people care? I just don't get it...how can they live with themselves?? They had another kitty suddenly start spraying around the house, and they took him to the vet and eliminated any health problems...and THEN put him outside. But Dante was an outdoor stray to begin with, and was very social and able to adjust fine. (Not that I advocate putting a cat outside in their neighborhood.)

Why?? :cry2

Poor Turk...he didn't do anything to deserve such a tragic turn of events...:cry1:

I tell you...this makes me so happy when I glance at our kitties, and they're happy and healthy. We do so much for our animals...it just makes me SO MAD when others won't even do the littlest bit!!

:sigh:

That's so very sad, but what's even sadder is that it happens so often. I won't go into the horrors I see working rescue. It really makes you lose faith in the human race. Your rabbit is sick? Just toss him outside or take him to the shelter. What an easy solution. Just last month we spend over $1,000 on a sick rabbit (owner surrender)we transferred into rescue from the shelter (the shelter wouldn't treat). Greta is doing very well today and is in a loving foster home. It's the lucky ones that find their way to us. I try not to think about the others.

I'm so sorry that Turk had to end his days in such a horrible way. :hug2:

Between this and the rescue of the 10 rabbits in MI, I am just bewildered and devastated that supposedly intelligent humans could behave in such an abhorrant manner!!! My aunt used to say that the more she knew about people, the more she loved her dog! Good grief! We are responsible to care for those who can't care for themselves....that doesn't just mean other people!!!! Wonder what these folks would do with a child who misbehaved??....sorry, I'm ranting, I know!

I'm so sorry. I don't understand why people put their cats outside. If you want a cat, keep in inside with you.

Big hugs to you, Rosie... RIP Turk... you've earned your rest...:pink iris:

To be very honest, I don't associate with folks who don't behave compassionately towards animals... If they can't find it within themselves to care for even the smallest life when it is in need, I doubt they will ever be a true friend to me.

At least you know the true colours now... :( I am so sad that it had to be revealed this way.

people dont really suprise me in what they can do to animals anymore...ive rescued and worked with a pitbull used in the ring and breeding for 3 years. great dog now. i have a kitten now my sister rescued from a hoarding house-three litters all dyin off. 20+cats running around not fixed or anything....its sad what people do, and i pity the people who dont even think about the animals because theyll never know what its like to feel something for an animal and build that bond.

Thank you so very much, you guys...for your compassionate words, and your encouragement. I have to say...this has definitely ruined any chance my friendship with Ivan had. I am so angry that he didn't do something...and this was someone I trusted with taking care of our bunnies when we were away, and such, mostly because he used to have a heart for the animals. It's so sad to me that being married to her has changed him this much.

Like you said, NorthernAutumn, I cannot call him a friend from this point on. I cannot ever see him the same way again. I knew this was something his wife and her family might be capable of, but I thought his morals were better than this. Apparently he doesn't value those morals like I thought.

It's interesting...Turk and another kitty they still have, Rainbow, were kept indoors BECAUSE of how skittish and scared they were. Why they so quickly tossed Turk out, I will never understand. Like I said, it's not like they didn't have the money to take him in...they just didn't care. I guess it goes along with other things I see around their place...broken window that wasn't repaired for about two years, painting that never got completed (which was like that when they bought the place, weirdly enough), needs to do this or that around their house that they just haven't bothered with. It's not the money...it's the lack of care.

Sweet Turk...I never got to know you, really, but I know you were a great guy. I'm so sorry your life had to end the way so many others' do...with someone just not taking the time to SEE and HELP. So many people in Southern California have that problem...they don't take the time to see or care...much less help. I'm so sorry you were a victim of this as well.

Patti...I cannot imagine seeing so much sadness everyday. On the one hand, I'm glad they at least bring the animal to the shelter to get help...on the other, why didn't they care enough to take care of the poor sweetie themselves? I don't think I'll ever understand this.

Grace...please do rant! More people should rant, in my opinion. There are so many people that need to open their eyes to the help that animals need.

I agree wholeheartedly, Missyscove...if you love an animal, they should be near you, protected, loved, cared for directly. I understand extraneous circumstances, like we had, where we had no choice but to have them outside...but when people have the ability to do otherwise, I really feel they should.

I've seen rare circumstances where a cat being outside is really the best thing, but that's been rare, and it's only been in areas that really were set up really nicely for them, and/or the cat is so wild and un-domesticated, they really didn't have a choice. But, for the most part, I really believe kitties should be an indoor animal.

I've had a heart for animals my whole life. It wasn't something that was learned from seeing others...it was just part of me.

My love to you, Turk...leap and jump and play free across the Rainbow Bridge. Say hi to my babies for me...I'm sure Teeny will LOVE playing with you. He's the big, fawn-colored galumph with the huge ears...probably singing to the ladies.

fuzz16 wrote:
i pity the people who dont even think about the animals because theyll never know what its like to feel something for an animal and build that bond.
I couldn't agree more.

I have a couple quotes I want to post here, both of which I have as signatures in various places...

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
- Anatole France

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Im so sorry to hear about this.
Being a Southern California native, and growing up close to that area, I know that putting a cat (or small dog)outside is just ringing the dinner bell for the coyotes.
We had cats and always had to keep them in due to that.
I don't understand why someone who had a pet for 9yrs.just decides to toss them outside.
Not much surprises me about human beings anymore.
I try not to focus too much on the negatives...it can get me down in the dumps really fast.

Back