I Am Confuse

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacygirl

Reaction score
Hello

My husband and I are in process of raising Mini Rex and Rex for showand pets. Um our male rex and a female rex are purebred withno pedigree. So I understand you can still show them inrabbit show without pedigree paper, but you can't register underARBA. I am still confuse. If I can still show themwithout pedigree paper, then when we breed them together, how dowestart a pedigree from there? SInce the parentsdon't have paper to begin with?

What I am going to share with you is how I knowlionhead breeders do this - I think it is the same for all breeds but Iam not sure.

When we have a rabbit that we don't know the pedigree on - OR - therabbit is not purebred (let's say it was a lionhead / netherland dwarfbreeding)...that rabbit becomes what is known as an F1. Don't ask mewhat the F stands for...I don't know.

Whatever that F1 is bred to - even if they are purebred - doesn't matter - because offspring of an F1 - become F2.

You then breed those F2 offspring - once again - it doesn't matter whatthey are bred to (as long as they are F2 or purebred) - and theoffspring are known as F3.

Now - you take those offspring and breed them to another F3 - OR apurebred...and they become officially a PUREBRED rabbit. (Basically -they have three generations of breedings behind them).

I know I am not explaining this well - so I'm going to send you to a link here and maybe it will help make things more clear.

http://www.lionheadrabbit.net/gen info2 define f.htm

Your rabbits- even though they are purebred - beacause you don't havepapers on them - would become "F1" in the eyes of ARBA. You will bestarting with that and in 3 generations of offspring...you will be ableto then get those babies registered.

So I think that would be their great grandbabies if I figure it right?

F1 - parents (what you have)
F2 - their children
F3 - their grandchildren (offspring from the children)
F4 (purebred) - yes - their great grandchildren.

Hope this helps!

Peg

Here is an easier example:

If you breed those two, the babies pedigree is only going to have thesire and dam filled in, and also the baby. You breed thatbaby (wewill say sheis a doe)to abuck. If you have papers for the buck, you would put thefirst 2 generations on the new offsprings papers (in the sireside). On the dam's side, you would put the information forthe mom and her two parents. You should have 4 empty spacesfor rabbits in the 3rd generation at the bottom right of the pedigree.

Sharon

The original question has already been covered well, but I thought I'd add a bit of trivia.

This is in response to Tinysmom saying she doesn't know what the 'F' in F1, F2, F3, etc... stands for.

F = Filial (pronounced filly-uhl) In latin filial means son, sobasically F1 means 'son one' or in broader terms the first generationof a specific parent.

There's your fun fact for the day!

WOW - this is so cool.

My husband is a trivia buff and he didn't know this....so I got to teach HIM something for once.

Thanks so much for sharing it!

Peg

Lol! You guys are welcome. I love being able to share my 'useless' trivia that my brain stores :D

Back