I accidentally trod on my rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nangobi

Reaction score
I feel terrible. I went into the run thismorning and Bugsy was running around like an idiot as usual.I'm always careful whenI get in cos she runs under your feetbut this morning, just as I put my foot down she dashed under meandI caught her little front paw!! She didn't makea sound butwas picking it up off the floor for awhile. Anyway, my hubby felt her paw while I held her andwe've had her in with us this morning to keep an eye on her - she seemsfine now - though she's bitten me twice (not hard) but who could blameher!

All seems well, but I feel just awful - that poor little thing -there she is just binkying away and some clod hopper comes and steps onher! Just as I was gaining her trust too - you should see thelooks she's giving me!

Shall I just keep en eye on her for the day and see how she is in acouple of hours? I've got to go to work lunch time (it's 10am now) butsomeone will be here with the children til 6pm and she can watch hertoo.

Accidents happen,so try not to worry to much,iknow i have tripped over mine many,many times,umm.. i have almoststepped on Sunshine because she is so black and she was camaflouged inthe rug lol so you are not the only one lol

I would just keep an eye on her for a while and see how she goes,i'msure she will be fine,but sometimes you just don'tknowbecause they have such delicate little bones:)

cheryl

Aww ... Poor little thing. :( Don't worry! She can't hold a grudge for ever ;)

Keep a close eye on her leg for the next day or so. If you see any signof lumps or swelling, take her to a vet. My rabbit just very recentlygot a mysterious lump on one of his front legs, which was pretty sorefor a few days, but it went away by itself. I still took him to a vetthough ;)

Check her in a few hours. Feel her foot for any unusual lumps orswelling, and, if you can't feel any, put her down and let her hoparound a bit. If you see him limping or anything, check her again. ;)

I'm no expert, but that's my personal advice. ;) I'm sure one of themore experienced bunny owners on this forum will give you betteradvice, but that's my opinion. Don't kill me if I'm wrong. :D

-Rach & Ollie

:yeahthat

Pipp and Dill'sfavourite gameseems to be 'Kick theBunny,' it's hard to avoid them. Don't worry about the paw,though, it'll heal on its own, even if it's broken. There'snot much they can do with it. Just keep an eye out forabnormal swelling, open wounds, munched toenails, etc..

And give her treats and pets and beg for forgiveness! Justmake the treats REALLY tiny, you can actually cause a lot more harmwith an overload of treats (and it doesn't take much) than with ajackboot on a foot!

Poor Bugsy, have a carrot. :carrot

sas :)et al

Thanks so much for the replies everyone - I just feel awful for the little darling.

Apart from my daughter and I really wanting a rabbit, my way ofpersuading hubby that it was a good idea was the hope that a pet mightact as a sort of therapy for our son who has a mild autisticcondition. He's completely terrified of all animals - mostparticularly dogs, but having a pet around has slightly helped just inthe short time we've had Bugsy. He doesn't even mind now ifshe's running around the lounge and he evenlet her out of thehutch a few weeks ago - a massive leap on his part! Wecouldn'tbelieve he'd done that - I shouted for someone to doit andlater he said it was him! You should haveseen our faces! He hasn't touched her yet - but we live inhope, soto lose Bugsy's trust now issuchshame.

We're going to bring her in the house each night from tomorrow becauseof the fireworks so hopefully by the end of the weekshe'llremember that actually we're not that bad after all!

Aww i'm sure she has forgotten that little incident already;)

She sounds like a very special little girl:)

cheryl

Just cleaned out her hutch, the run, swepteverything - I'm such a creep! Just kidding - we were awayfor a few days so it needed doing anyway - my neighbour looked afterher but as it was only for the weekend and one day I told her not toclean Bugsy out - would have freaked out the bun anyway - she doesn'tlike strangers in the hutch - understandably.

She IS a special little girl! But we all think our bunniesare special, don't we? I have to leave her now to go to workbut the children will be here so my daughter will keep an eye on herthis afternoon. Shame to go to work - it's a lovely day -first bit of sun we've seen for AGES!

Latest posts

Back