Hutch untidyness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
In the UK recently it's been getting rather windy and cold at night. I've faced both hutches to look into my living room window, so the wind can't get them as much, but I've noticed that both my buns are very cold in the morning. I'm a bit worried, as they're only 6 months old, but I don;t know what to do to keep them warm. I've placed an old baby blanket over the open cage part of their hutches, but it doesn't seem to do much. Any tips?
Also, whenever I've just cleaned out their hutches (particularly Mai) they'll both dig under the hay and sawdust until they reach the newspaper, and have a fun ol' time ripping it all up, resulting in a super messy hutch. They seem to like the feel of the wood in their bedroom compartment when they lie down, should i just leave that bit bare for them, seeing as they always dig out all the hay and stuff? Any help on either of these subjects is much appreciated.

Not sure how you would do this as I've never had an outside hutch, but a friend of mine long time ago had an outdoor hutch and in the closed portion there was a lightbulb that when it got very cold they turned on for heat for the bunnies. I'm sure someone here would know how to do this or you can probably find it on the net somewhere. Hope this helps.

Young bunnies do trash their hutches but don't worry, they grow out of it! Until yours do, putting lino down on the bottom of their hutch will make cleaning easier. I know newspaper makes cleaning easier as I use it myself but it might be worth taking it out of the hutch and only letting them have it as a toy to stop them ripping it up. You could also give them toys to destroyinstead of their hutch!Cardboard boxes, paper bags, willow balls and seagrass mats might work.:)

I've been giving Ruby and Millie extra bedding recently because it's been so cold! Also covering over the front of the hutch is a good idea to keep drafts and rain out. As long as they don't have drafts in their hutch and they have plenty of bedding to snuggle up in they will be fine, unfortuantly it means a bit of extra cleaning until they grow out of it!;)

I don't think they are cold! It does sound just like a phase. I'm really hoping Zoey outgrew it because this was her cage only an hour after cleaning it last winter.

zoeymessyhutch.jpg

I really hope she'll improve this winter!

Latest posts

Back