Hutch question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Reaction score
For those who use hutches: we just got this one and put it together yesterday. The buns and I love it, but though I've put their water bottle on the mesh, I don't feel like it's really meant to go there. The mesh isn't stiff enough, really, for even the small bottle I'm using. I'm wondering if I should just replace the bottle with a non-tipping bowl? Or is there a better waterer out there?

Attachments

• 20230708_223303.jpg
    20230708_223303.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Miley has always drunk from a bowl, much easier I find 😊

I have to say though I think your hutch is rather on the small side.
Here's a link to the recommended housing sizes page, have a look through!
Recommended housing sizes

There's also loads of good housing ideas here!
Indoor housing ideas
The first link actually goes to sexing guinea pigs lol. But the second link worked.

I thought the hutch was actually a good size for two Holland lops? 62" long by 18" deep by 34" high. They're really only in there to sleep or if I'm not home.

Oops sorry, hope this one works!
Housing sizes

That works out at 5ft 2in by 1ft 6in which is unfortunately quite a bit smaller than the recommended sizes from the House Rabbit Society and the RWAF.

Maybe you could attach an x pen permanently to the front to give them some more space?

The first link actually goes to sexing guinea pigs lol. But the second link worked.

I thought the hutch was actually a good size for two Holland lops? 62" long by 18" deep by 34" high. They're really only in there to sleep or if I'm not home.
I'd also recommend a bowl -- at least 20 oz in capacity. The bottle makes it difficult for them to drink enough water. The size of the bottle in the photo holds less than one rabbit should drink per day.

I also agree that that hutch is not ideal and is rather small. It may be 62" long, but it's not all usable space. The only real room for moving around is the right half which is less than 4 square feet (with a ramp taking up a good portion of that). The lower level on the left is only suitable for lounging and the upper is same except that the space of one of those levels would be mostly used up with a litter box.

If they are going to be confined there whenever you aren't home, then I'd either attach an exercise pen permanently to it to provide more room, or consider replacing it altogether. If you keep it (with an added ex pen), then I'd consider removing the ramp as it just takes up space. But looking at it realistically, by itself it only provides around 4 sq ft of roaming and less than that of separated lounging areas.

I can't afford anything bigger right now, nor do I have the space for anything bigger. They have free roam of my studio and aren't in the hutch really except to sleep. Our dogs and cats aren't allowed in the studio, for the safety of the rabbits. For the same reason, the rabbits do not go out of the studio. The studio itself is a converted garage that they have free roam in. Is there more that I can do?

Is there a reason they are shut in at night? If the cat and dog don't access the room, you could bunny proof it and give them free roam 24/7 with the hutch as a base for food, water etc.?
Miley lives in a bunny proof room so has plenty of space to hop around, we just put stair gates across the doors to prevent access to the rest of the house when we're out, asleep etc.

Is there a reason they are shut in at night? If the cat and dog don't access the room, you could bunny proof it and give them free roam 24/7 with the hutch as a base for food, water etc.?
Miley lives in a bunny proof room so has plenty of space to hop around, we just put stair gates across the doors to prevent access to the rest of the house when we're out, asleep etc.
We're working on the bunnyproofing still. The studio is primarily a fiber arts studio, so there is a lot of equipment in there such as weaving looms, Japanese braiding stands, spinning wheels, and tons and tons of yarn. Most of the equipment is wood, and I am unsure what it has been treated with. I'm in there all day long, so I can watch to make sure they don't chew it, but at night I am not. I don't want them to chew on something and get sick because the wood was treated with an unknown chemical and I wasn't there to shoo them away from it. Eventually, the plan is to move them to my bedroom, but that room needs some repairs and a LOT more bunnyproofing as there are wires everywhere up there.

I can't afford anything bigger right now, nor do I have the space for anything bigger. They have free roam of my studio and aren't in the hutch really except to sleep. Our dogs and cats aren't allowed in the studio, for the safety of the rabbits. For the same reason, the rabbits do not go out of the studio. The studio itself is a converted garage that they have free roam in. Is there more that I can do?
Yes, bunny proof the studio so they have the whole space 24/7. 60 sq.ft. is considered the minimum space requirement by the RWAF.

Latest posts

Back