Husband won't let Rabbit upstairs:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeysMomMom

Reaction score
:(Hi there,

I need to vent big time!

Winter time: Whenwe first got our bun, we had her outside. We got her in the winter. She has a huge hut and we brought her in the garage when it got bitter. Then husband put plexy glass around her cage and a lizard rock. Plus it has two sections in the hut and we put lots of straw in there. Well after going back and forth and it going through cold to bitter and so on, I brought her in for the winter.

Summer time: Okay, in the summer, we would put ice bottles out there when it was hot and when it was too hot, we brought her in. Last year we had trouble with mice getting in her hut so I brought her in for awhile. Then she had poo poo butt and I was worried about fly strike so I brought her in again.

This past winter, I had her outside again and when it kept going down to bitter, I just said forget it, she is coming in to stay. Cuz once they come in from the cold you can't take them back out from being in a warm house. So hubby put her in the basement in her spare indoor cage. But supposely his son is allergic (bunch of BS) So he put plastic up on two sides and made a four wall area like a room and she would stay in there alone and we would have to go down and open up the plastic doors to see her in that big space. It killed me. She had to be lonely. I mean we went down there and fed her and all but I was like the heck with this, she is coming up in the front room which is where the computer and my tv is. She is so good. She is litter trained and my daughter and I let her out when we are in the room. She loves to sit by the front window and sit on the window sill. She hops around and then jumps up on the couch. Hubby feels she belongs outside. I will put her out when the weather is warm, but the car windows are still icey in the mornings. He put her back in the basement. He saw blue marks from the rabbits cage going into the kitchen and accused me of scraping the cage across the floor. I didn't do it. Her cage is green. So he took her down. Here it was his boys toy that made the mark. He apologized, but he said, she still can come up in the room. I was sooo upset. He saidshe is dirty and it is so gross with the timothy hay in her cage. I clean her everyday, but Friday night, the one night I didn't clean out the cage, he said something. I was going to clean it out after my walk.

No one understands when I talk to them about this. Like I am a weirdo for wanting my rabbit inside. His side of the family is like well can't she go in the outside cage and I just said it isn't ready and his sister is like well how long does it take? I am sooo mad. It is none of their business if I want her in or not. People have their dogs and cats and are dog and cat lovers but when you love your rabbit you get looked at like you are a weirdo and it bugs me.:(

Can anyone relate to this?:(:(

Well, I don't know if I'm going to be of much help with this, because if it was me I'd be saying something like:

'either she stays in the front room, in the house, or you go!' It's your house too, you should have a say in what goes on!

Also, rabbits? Dirty? Seriously? And timothy hay being gross? I don't think so!!! :grumpy:

:hug:Jen xx

My marriage was at the point of divorce anyway.... The husband tried to set an ultimatum that it was either the animals or him. I said good-bye and moved on with my animals ;).

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. Maybe you should try to understand his point of view and try to explain your point of view (making sure he keeps an open-mind to the situation--indoor rabbits live longer, happier lives as part of the family). Maybe he is jealous of the bun... I know my ex was. He always said, "You love that rabbit more than you love me!" :cry1:Sorry to say, but he was right. She gave me more hugs, kisses, binkies, and unconditional love than he ever could.

myheart

Sorry, just thought of this.... This could be the perfect chance for you to get another bunny for your lonely baby if she is to be "isolated" from the rest of the family.She would probably reallylove/need a companion...what a great time to adopt/rescue a friend. :D

myheart

Ohboy I can relate; be it Eric (my BF) or my work mates - they all think I'm crazy (but they all stop to watch Baxter! do whatever he does)..

Not knowing your relationship w/your hubby I would suggest a) tell him it would make you the happiest wife on the block if the bunny were permanently inside (make sure you give him as much attention as the bun; or b) tell him you have just as much right to have the bunny inside as he has the right to ___ (fill in the blank with whatever thing he is fixated with that causes you grief/trouble/thing you can't understand why he likes it;or c) tell hubby he can have the motorcycle/trip toVegas w/the boys, etc. whatever"thing"he wants that you have said no to in the past.

Not sure about getting the bunny another friend or your hubbymight thensay he never needs to come inside then.. Or pull the "girl card" and start hysterically crying.. LOL..

Sorry your not being "heard" and/or supported and indulged, but you can get that from everyone here - I promise never to get sick of hearing of your bun's stories.. ;)

I don't even talk to some people about my guinea pigs or rabbits and if I talk about my fish it's even worse :X

People with no pets are the worst and even some who have dogs really don't get the whole small animal thing.

BTW, I was in a similiar situation with my husband and marriage. It was heading towards divorce anyway butwhen myhusbandstarted totell me that I loved my animals more than him that's when I decided I had had enough. I pretty much told him if he didn't like it he knows how to find the door. I had animals when we first met and I told him I had no intentions of ever giving them up and I kept to my word. No regrets here except that I should have done it long ago ;)

Thanks for all of your advice.

The bunny is my daughters, but I love her too. She is the cutest thing. She keeps me company when I am watching TV or using the computer.

I have a friend who talks constantly about how people mistreat dogs and how she helps the rescue people blah blah blah. How much her dog means to her and all that, but then I bring up our rabbit and it is like she tunes me out or says, you are funny with your rabbit. That is their opinion.

All of you are the best. Thanks:)

Grrrr!!! That really annoys me, when people think that you are strange for wanting to love and take care of your pets! One of my friends talks her cat alot and then we all love one of my other friends dogs and cats, but if I mention my rabbits they call me the 'crazy bunny lady'. I can only talk about them with a couple of my really close friends. Same about the forum. I mentioned it once in passing and everybody laughed at me. Now only one of my close friends know that I'm on here and talk to people a lot... she is one of the few people I know who understands that pets are part of the family. I mean, what is so strange about having pets that you love, and wanting to research on how to take care of them properly and know what to do when they're sick? :grumpy:

I think that it's partly down to people not understanding rabbits very well, but then I also think it's down to the person and how understanding they are. Like my one close friend, had a rabbit before but isn't obssessed with them or anything, but she still understands how important they are to me and will listen to me talk about them for ages if I want to!

Don't let them get to you, just remember that you are part of a very special group of people, becauseI really believe now that bunny owners are a lot more caring and understanding than normal people lol! :p

My husband compares them to the rabbits outside. They are out in this weather, blah blah blah.... NOOOOOOOOOOOO... They are not the same. AGH!!!!

Our rabbit is family to us. I worry about her like she is one of my children. Rabbits are very cuddly and when you put your head near her cage they kiss you and rub noses with you. So cute.

Smokeys mum. I would explain to him that yes wild rabbits live outside in this weather but they have burrows when it is cold they go down the burrow the temperature doesn't drop below 4 degrees. (permafrost) so my husband tells me. ALso through the summer the burrows will keep them cool. So if your wether is excessive then a rabbit living out in the middle of that extreme hot/cold wetaher is not gonna be happy.

hope that helps you put a case forward ;)

Hi Smokey's Mom, just wanted to know if you have any resolution to your bunny housing situation. Did we help in the cause?

I just know I like having my bunners running around where I am, which is the entire house. It just cracks me up every time I see a bunny hopping through on their way to some place. I have to stop and say to myself, "How many other people are blessed to have a bunny crossing in the middle of the living room, dining room, bunny room, ...." They just amaze me so much with their personalities :p.

myheart

The weather is not good enough to put her outside yet. She is down in the basement and it is not that bright down there. I feel bad for her, but if I bring her up, he will start a fight. I miss her up in the computer room with me:(

Maybe I will bring her up tomorrow. He says she is dirty with the hay in her cage and the hair floating around.

OMG how I can relate to this post....

I am being ignored by Jim today because I accidentally told him that Gabriel chewed the cord to the upstairs VCR about a year ago..

I was told "You should get rid of some of those rabbits"

and I think to myself

"Maybe I should get rid of you!".....LOL

i hate it when other animals lovers act like rabbits are on a lower level or somthing! erg!!!:tantrum::censored2::soapbox:rant::whatevah

My gosh I get really annoyed at people like that they dont think rabbits class as pets. They think i'm completly bonkers because i bring them in and walk them and take them to the beach!!

What about cats and dogs, they have hair floating around too when they molt!!! I mean, even men make a mess, more so than any other species I have known! Maybe it's men who should have to live in the basement! LOL!

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! :grumpy:

If you don't want to fight, could you maybe try writing it down, and showing your husbund? I was going to say show him this thread maybe, but with all the man-bashing maybe that's not a good idea lol! I just don't know if you're the same as me, but when it comes to making a point with someone, I spend so much time working myself up to it, and then when I do, I completely forget all the points of the argument I was about to make lol... Think of all the possible things your husbund could come back with, and think of responses to them already. Like the hay and hair- you'll vaccum/sweep everyday, etc etc. And how house rabbits are so much happier and generally live longer etc when they are indoors and part of the family...

And, if that fails, I just have to say that a few tears being shed (real or not!) can sometimes work wonders..... ;):p

Latest posts

Back