Hurt foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juneaf

Reaction score
I noticed that my rabbit was bleeding on her foot but I can't see any cuts, just red fur. She had stopped bleeding and then she thumped and started all over again. Should I try to put neosporon on it or anything? I don't have money for the vet, and she isn't limping. What should I do?

I suspect that it may be an abscess that has broken open. Cleanse the wound well with an astringent and apply an antibiotic ointment.

Check daily to be certain the foot is healing.

Pam

Some rabbits are more prone to foot abscesses for various reasons. It may be a conformation issue that leads to the weight not being properly distributed on the foot which can lead to tissue break down, old age, large breeds are sometimes more prone, thin fur on footpad, flooring that doesn't properly distribute weight, underlying health problem, rusty wire flooring, dampness leading to fungal or bacterial infection, or other causes.

Oftentimes, placing plastic mats in the cage help to relieve sore hocks. Belgian Hares are very prone to sore hocks, so I put feed bags in our Hare's cage when she began to develop sore hocks (She already had wood boards in her cage). I also used Desitin ointment on the sore. I change the paper feed bags frequently, and her feet have completely cleared up.

In severe cases of sore hocks, infection can spread up the leg resulting in fatal septicemia.

Do keep in mind that I "suspect" your rabbit developed sore hocks. Without actually examining it, I don't know if it is sore hocks or injury related.

Pam

Thanks for the help !!

I have two mats and a thin metal sign that completely cover the bottom ofher cage...do you think they are not enough? We have had her for 2 months with no previous issues. She had also been inside for several hours before she started bleeding. Does that matter in determining if it is sore hocks?

-June

I would try to get the wound cleaned out as much as possible. It is a concern if you are not able to handle the back feet and cannot adequately clean the wound and apply ointment.

I am also concerned that at this point, we still are not certain if the condition is sore hocks or a wound.

You need to try to part the fur and get a good look at the situation. You can also try soaking the foot in white iodine, but you'll need to be certain that it gets well into the wound.

Pam

Latest posts

Back