hurt bunny leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyang

Reaction score
so i was carrying milo to his new playpen and he kicked himself off me and landed on his back. his back isn't broken or anything, but he's been walking with his right foot held up. My sister is a vet tech and she said it doesn't sound like his foot is broken, but it could be sprained or fractured. how can i tell? he's not out anymore. i put him away. i'm just watching him. he's not moving very much and when he is, he's just lifting that right foot up as he's going. poor thing. i feel so bad. i didn't realize how powerful his back legs were when he started to kick.

P.S. How do i get him used to me carrying him? usually i just lure him with a carrot or i herd him back into his cage.

A few years back I got a few holland lops from a show breeder, they where rabbits that didn't make their final cut for shows. Anyway, I got home that night and put the rabbits away. The next morning I went out and got out one of the does and when I did she kicked and snapped her leg clean in two. I heard it crack and her leg just flopped down. We took her to the vet and he wrapped her let but grew together wrong. She always hopped weird.

Anyway... oh yeah, can he apply pressure with the leg? Can ou tell if it is the foot or the leg?

thanks samantha for replying. no, i don't think he cracked his leg or anything. i think it's just hurt. i did see him walking a bit on it as he was making his way around his cage, but then he'll lift it up too. you know, i don't know if it's the foot or the leg. i didn't think about that. he's just laying down right now. poor thing. i feel so bad. i'm gonna keep an eye on him tonight and see how he does. if he doesn't improve, i'm gonna take him to the vet. hopefully it's nothing a little time and lots of love can't heal.

Yow... Very scary that he fell on his back!
Personally, I would go to the vet ASAP if he isn't putting his full weight on it by tomorrow morning.
Don't think there is a readily at-home fix for this...

Try wrapping him up in a towel when you are carrying him between locations: keeps the kicking to a minimum... ideally, he should be able to hop to wherever on his own.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Yow... Very scary that he fell on his back!
Personally, I would go to the vet ASAP if he isn't putting his full weight on it by tomorrow morning.
Don't think there is a readily at-home fix for this...

Try wrapping him up in a towel when you are carrying him between locations: keeps the kicking to a minimum... ideally, he should be able to hop to wherever on his own.

I agree that he needs a vet to determine exactly the extent of the injury ; probably by an x-ray. he may also require pain meds so keep him quiet as possible . he is most likely uncomfortable.

rabbits do have tremendous power in their hind legs; I remember the very first timeI tried to pick a rabbit up ...and didn't know how to do it.

If you pick up a bunny with one hand around his chest and the other supporting his bottom and pull him against you with his back against your body, he can kick all he wants but won't make contact with anything but air.

You have to really hold him tight against you and be ready for a twisting motion as well, but with a good grip, the bunny isn't going anywhere.

You have to be extra careful putting him down because once the back-to-body support is gone, they can twist, but I find a swift motion while staying low to the ground works well.

How is Milo today?

sas :expressionless

Latest posts

Back