humping the hay ball

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplepeacock

Reaction score
Liffy has been nothing but a sweet snuggly bunny....and still is. he has been a little more restless lately and has been digging a lot more. but still loves to be held and loved. today i was filling his hay ball and when i was doing that he was digging and pawing at my pant leg.....i thought he was just excited over seeing the ball get filled with hay. so i toss the hay ball in the pen and he charges at it and starts humping it like there's no tomorrow. i've been debating on getting him fixed but around me it cost over $300 and this month and the next a have a couple of huge bills coming in so i was hoping to put off getting him fixed. ok i was kind of hoping to avoid getting him fixed all together. my other bunny (rip mr. snowwhite) was 7 when he died and i never had any issues like this with him. he never did anything so i thought maybe i'd luck out with liffy. any suggestions? if i wait until january to fix him will he still stop the hormonal behavior or will it be too late? has anybody had a male bun that they haven't fixed and how did that work out???

thanks!

becca

How old is your bun? If he is young(er), hormones just kicked in and he may even get more aggressive and start spraying.

As expensive as it may be, it is important to spay/neuter your buns for health reasons. It is likely that the humping problem won't go away without neutering. $300 does seem pretty steep for a neuter. A spay around here isn't even $200. I would recommend searching for another vet. Calling vet offices for pricing can be a pain, but it is best to find the best vet for the cheapest price (when I say best vet, I mean someone who has a lot of experience with buns). Some vet offices do payment plans, too. My mom had to do that for our dog with a procedure. They were pretty good about it.

I've never had experience with an un-neutered bun, so all I can really say is stuff I have read and heard from many different (and reputable) sources.

Liffy is 6 months. I've called every vet within an hour drive from me and $300 is the cheapest i could find. most places won't even do anything with buns. he hasn't started spraying yet and hopefully he won't. my other buns never sprayed and they weren't fixed. correction my other male buns never sprayed. we had a female angora that would spray. but she was the only one. Mr. snowwhite and Bingo were fine.

I think that even if you waited to neuter him, the hormonal stuff *should* go away. Some rabbits will retain their humping behavior. Little Bay Poo's rabbit, Ronnie, still goes to town on a stuffed animal. Some rabbits will lose that behavior, some won't. I think most do, though. Rabbits 4 months to about a year or two are in their "teenage phase" and that would be the worst period for hormonal "outbursts".

I don't think there would be a problem with waiting until January :) That should be just fine.

Good luck!

It's normal and I have yet to meet an unaltered male rabbit that doesn't hump objects. Dunkin is 3 months old and due to be neutered soon, he started humping things lately and digging more. :craziness

hmmm.....i did notice that he's been digging more but wasn't worried about it. he hasn't pawed his way thru the coroplast yet...lol.... another concern i have though is when they hump things does anything come out? since he's hellbent on humping the hay ball especially when it's full of hay i don't want anything wet getting on the hay.

:ponder: I honestly have to say that I have no clue. I haven't come across anything like that in text anywhere. I don't have personal experience with that either. Err... I hope someone else has an answer to that?

LittleBayPoo should come answer in this thread :p

purplepeacock try Perkiomine animal hospital , but tell them you dont want Jenn doing the surgery. That is where i got mine done, they let the vet Jenn , cant think of her last name, take rabbits when she is not qualified to do so but they do have a vet that does rabbits (she is allergic lol) . They are located in Palm Pa, i go up 663 towards East Greenville, i am Q-Town and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there so you are about another 20-30 minutes from me so that should keep you in an hour range of your location.

You could also try Quakertown vet clinic, that is where i take my guys now but they are on the pricey side, but you could call for an estimate of price with them, if i am correct in remembering they were about 250-300 for a spay and a lil less for a nueter, i could be wrong i am relying on memory,lol, which isnt always that reliable.

We have Tony that is not neutered. He is a big boy and we do get some smell from his urine but his personality is much nicer than Bo and he's neutered.

I think it has to do with each bunny and how they are wired.

fran--how much was it at the first hospital that you mentioned? honestly i'd travel further than an hour if it meant paying decent prices. i'm thinking that he really should get fixed asap b/f he ruins all his hay! lol

I paid around 150, now that was around what i paid for a femal and waht i paid for Sooty to be nuetered. It was so much with Sooty because he had to be on antibiotics before hand and i got pain meds for him.

I think what they told me originally was it was like 90 for the nueter.

I got Bo neutered and had them do the pre-screen bloodwork - it was $150 total and that was 4 years ago.

i have another name of a vet i have to get off my mom , she took her bun thier and they quoted 89 for a spay so a nueter would be less, i would guess. As soon as i get the name and number i will pm you with it.

fran---i called pekiomen and it'll be about 125ish so that's good and it's only 30 minutes from me. i made the appt for next monday the 17th. I can't believe the other places charge so much by me. how is it that one place charges almost 400 and another 125? it makes no sense.

JadeIcing wrote:
Trust me I know the feeling. What some charge is scary. I will keep him in my thoughts tomorrow.
thank you!! i'm not too nervous about the surgury.........yet. i'm more worried about the recovery and hoping he doesn't pick at his stitches too much.

how did he do? I should have called my friend who is a vet tech there and ask about him,lol. I hope you told them you didnt want Jen to touch him, let us know

Back