Humping questions!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catwell1989

CarrieA
Reaction score
I recently adopted two French lop brothers who are about 10-11 weeks old. Two days ago one of the bunnies began circling and humping the other, but only when they are out in their play area. I'm planning on neutering both bunnies but have to wait until they are between 12-16 weeks per their vet. So my question is do you think this is territorial or what? I feel like they are too young for their testicles to be descended, and I haven't been successful in checking them yet. Any advise would be appreciated!View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1424573731.184830.jpg

They're at the age when hormonal behaviours start to develop, even if their testicles haven't dropped yet. Circling and humping are hormonal behaviours, but humping is also one of dominance. If it continues too much and looks like it could get out of hand, you might have to keep them separate until you can get them neutered, otherwise it could lead to fighting.

I have started separating them when they are out of their cage, and it seems to be really stressing them. I keep the near each other just in separate pens and they just lay flat and put their noses together. When they are put together they will start playing / chewing everything again. I'm going to see if my vet would consider doing the neuter sooner. Thanks for the advice!

Back