Humping at 3.5 months?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexish

Reaction score
So I woke up and let my two Netherland Dwarf Rabbits (one female and one male) out to play this morning, and they were running around and having fun and then all of a sudden... the male started humping the female! I know the female has been sniffing under his bottom a lot these past few weeks, but he didn't seem to get it. This is the first time I caught him trying something.

My question is: are they able to even breed right now? I have them separated and will be trying to get them fixed as soon as possible (my only worry is an age restriction) but I am so nervous she might have gotten pregnant... If they were just humping and she can't actually have babies yet then I won't worry, but could she have been? Is there a way to check if either is fertile/able to breed babies right now? Like, if the male's testicles have dropped, if there is an attribute that shows a female can, or something? I really don't want her to get pregnant because she is so young.

Please help!
(First time rabbit owner.)

I'm pretty sure a 3.5 month old can get pregnant. They definitely need to be separated until they're fixed. I don't think there's a physical change in females to look for, they have more behavioral changes. Most vets will spay/neuter at 4-6 months. Just make sure you research the vet and make sure they're experienced with rabbits.

Just watch out for signs of pregnancy, just in case. Or you might want to visit a vet for an abortion if she IS pregnant, as it's not good for a doe to be pregnant that young.

Hopefully, the 1st time wasn't a charm & she's not pregnant.

Latest posts

Back