humane society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of us would say the humane society, if onlybecause most of the pet store rabbits are going to end up there anyway.You'd be rescuing a rabbit that will most likely be put down, so you'dbe saving a life.

Humane Society , but nodecent one will let you haveone till after easter . mosthave closed adoptions tillafter easter week .

I tried to adopt a rabbit from our local humane society and was turned down because I have small children.

On a good note, our HS doesn't kill the rabbits if they aren't adopted (but adoptable).

Try a rabbit rescue group too if you don't have any luck with the HS.

Here's a picture of the rabbit I want from my local HS, her name is Bugs:

Although, by the time I'm ready for a 2nd rabbit, she'll probably begone. Here's the website to my local HS:www.berkshumane.org

I love going there and seeing all the new rabbits they have each week

Welcome to the forum rabbitluvr!

Another thing to take into consideration, is that most bunniesthat come from rescues/shelters are neutered or they may offer it lowcost with an adoption.

Neutering costs $80-$125 at vets in our area.

Some rescue facilities near us even offer all of the stuff togo with the bun. Cages, food, x-pen, etc. can be a considerable initialcost.

Our local shelter has neutered bunnies for $25.

We just paid $20 for Binkie at the pet store and she will needto be spayed.We were looking for a mini lop at the time, andthe shelter didn't have any.

:~) Jim

Wherever you decide to get your bunny, make sureyou do a complete health check on it before you take it home. Checkears for ear mites, eyes and nose for any discharge, mouth for properlyalligned and healthy teeth, belly for abcesses and vent for any sign ofabnormality. The coat should look shiney and healthy, no missingpatches of fur.

There is always the option of buying a bunny from a reputable breeder, too. ;)

Suzy

Always buy froma reputable breeder, oradopt from the humane society. Petstores are never any good. Alot ofpetstore bunnies come from places that mass breed their bunnies tosupply to the demand for petstore rabbits. Everytime you buy a petstorebun they will always bring inmore to replace it. Alot ofpetstore bunnies either end up at shelters, or into the hands of peoplethat know nothing about caring for them. With a breeder, or a shelter,you know where the bunnies come from. And there is never a healthgarantee witha petstore rabbit like you would get from abreeder, or a shelter.

although i also would recommend a rescue orreputable breeder bun, i wouldnt generalize all pet storeseither. some can be very good with their animals and know theirbreeders etc. both of mine came from a pet store, and a guarantee, andpapers from their breeder. just depends on what kind of pet store it is!

I would like to agree with Spiced! Ibought Cosmo on impulse at a pet store, but (not to brag) I believe heis recieving excellent care in my part! There are people whobuy rabbits from pet stores and give them a great home! Cosmowas healthy overall, except for coccidia, which we treated and he isdoing great! No eye or nose discharge ever! The guyat the petstore said he gets his rabbits from a localbreeder.

However, I do also agree with the fact that alot of pet store rabbitsend up in the shelter (or released outside). I don't think Iwould buy a dog from a pet store, they just don't ever look healthy!

-Vanessa

dixonsrabbitry wrote:
Always buy froma reputable breeder, or adopt fromthe humane society. Petstores are never any good. Alot of petstorebunnies come from places that mass breed their bunnies to supply to thedemand for petstore rabbits. Everytime you buy a petstore bun they willalways bring inmore to replace it. Alot of petstore bunnieseither end up at shelters, or into the hands of people that knownothing about caring for them. With a breeder, or a shelter, you knowwhere the bunnies come from. And there is never a health garanteewitha petstore rabbit like you would get from a breeder, or ashelter.
This is not alwaystrue, Every pet store i have beenin looking for pets inI ask what the return( for lack of betterterm is ) if they dont say 15 to20 days walkaway anddont buy from them ,most reputable Pet Syores will havea return policy ifthe animal is sick or happensto die.

Welcome to the forum Rabbitluvr,

rabbitluvr wrote:
is it a good idea to get a rabbit from the humane society or should i get it from a pet store
My first choice is to adopt or to rescue a rabbit. There areshelters and foster homes that have rabbits needinghomes. Asquickly as you buyabunnyfroma petstore, it is replaced withanother one. I was lucky toadoptPebblesfrom a vet who knew I was looking for a rabbit.

Rainbows! :)

I have two great rabbits from the Humane societyand two from pet stores. I would say humane society becausethey are mostly larger and need a new home. The small cutelittle ones go auicker in the pet stores.

ed

The older rabbits at the humane society have thepersonality they are going to have forever.all baby bunnies are cuteand adorable but you dont know what the personality is going to be likelater.everyone here knows about teenage bunnies and sometimes they arenever sweet.Breeders usually have adult rabbits that need homestoo.retired show animals,breeders they are replacing.bluebird

Latest posts

Back