human cold

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richbeales

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and the internet and can't find a definate answer, so:

Can rabbits catch a the "human" cold virus? I understand that snuffles is a bacterial infection, but i need to know if I should be keeping my distance from the rabbit if I have a cold.

Thanks,

Richard.

Rabbits are not known to become infected with human cold viruses (rhino), however, can contract other viral infections from humans.

Pam

What other kind of viruses can a rabbit get from a human? I thought I read that they can get herpes?Is that true? What other viruses? I know that hamsters and guinea pigs can catch cold from humans

I saw it on some animal channel and they said that ferrets can catch human cold. I assume they would mention rabbits too, because those are just as common of a pet, if not more common.

I caught a nasty flu in feb, and a cold in may, and I was around my buns the whole time. They seemed to be ok.

a rabbit can contract human herpes simplex from a human. For ex. if you have acold sore usually the result o f herpes simplex ..do not kiss your rabbit. As far as I know the illness in the rabbit would be more serious causing encephalitis or neurological problems. Herpes simplex is not the common cold but the initial onset could mimic the common cold.
Guinea pigs can catch the common cold and I spend minimal times with my guinea pigs when I have a cold plus place them in a separate room and wash my hands before I handle them, would never allow myself to sneeze around them etc. I had a hamster that caught a cold from me, how ever the hamster did not recover.
When I have a regular cold or flu I still am careful around my rabbits even though that is not contagious to them. After the incident with the hamster I sort of go overboard.

I've never heard of a rabbit catching a human cold and if everyone is like me, I handle my rabbits just as much when I'm sick. In the last 4 years and countless colds, if a rabbit could catch it, I would have assumed that one of mine would have by now.

Latest posts

Back