Huge gash where my rabbits dewlap was....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for the record, I think it could have started as a small injury that she turned into a big injury, but I don't know for sure.

Self-mutilation in that area has happened around here before, although mind you not to that extent.

And I can see where it would be difficult to see in that area with her dewlap intact.

Could she have poked herself with anything in her housing?

The antiseptic wash is Betadine, as mentioned above.

I've been trying to track down a great rabbit vet in your area who often consults and volunteers, but he has moved to Europe.

If you can get a list of vets together, you can offer to do some promotional work, this forum will give the clinic a big thanks, and I'm sure we can round up a bunch of likes and shares on Facebook.

This should be treatable without general anesthetic, a local can likely suffice, making it reasonably inexpensive for the clinic to treat.

You can always offer to wash their cars or help around the clinic.

sas :clover:

I have nothing to add but I really hope your sweet bunny can be seen by a vet ASAP! It's clear that you care about your girl.

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY EVERYONE!

I bought Betadine disinfectant as the vet told me too.
My rabbit didn't touch her food lastnight or this morning.
Usually in the morning she jumps around and is hungry. Yesterday morning she was a bit fine.

I have a feeling she did bite her own dewlap and swallowed it.

I read online its common and that its due to dental problems when the saliva touches the dewlap it irrtiates them.

Also I noticed there's a small tube like object going from one side of the gash to the other. Does anyone knw what that is?

I will be posting more pics soon.

I'm at work & I brought her with me so I can keep an eye on her :)

None of the vets think this will heal on its own, what my vet meant was it may heal after it's cleaned and debrided without the surgery requiring a flap, not that it will heal without vet intervention.

If there is untreated necrotic tissue, she may not make it another day. :( She needs to have it debrided by a vet, given pain meds and antibiotics.

Here's yet another reply, this one from Rami at Etherbun. He assumed this rabbit would be rushed to a vet.

"This rabbit needs to be seen by a vet. It can be self-mutilation, but that is secondary to something. Drooling and accumulation of humidity in the dewlap (bacterial or fungal dermatitis). leaking water bottle. Insect bite that caused itching. It looks like possible to treat, if the cause can be found, and proper treatment. When in this place, it is good to try understand the cause, so it does not come back."

sas :pray:

Aww I really feel for you sweetie and your bunbun. I hope homecare works out for you, I really do. We have all been in this predicament at opne time or another. I myself am dealing with MULTIPLE abscesses with my Flemish and funds are very very very low. I can afford the gas to get to the vet and that is about it. I am thankful he is a family oriented vet and cares more about the pet than the $. He did a entropion eye sx on a rabbit for my good friend /breeder Barbi brown and it only costed $65 total. Not many vet left in this world like him. So come saturday I am going to plead my case with Thor there and beg for payments, I am sure I will be crying. We will see how much I wil be charged for 4 abcsesses(poss sx) and anitbiotics. The meds I can always get form my breeder at a very low cost and I know she is always willing to work with me.

I am praying for you and your loved one honey . I wish I had some good advice to give you. I do send my love and lots of white light.

I think this predicament is going to be common, but there are ways around it if the person is committed.

Vets will help those who help themselves, so will people on this board.

I'm sure you've seen it but here are the rabbit vets in Hawaii. (That said, I think any vet will do in this case as long as they're cautious re: antibiotics).

I believe the first one is the previous rabbit expert's old clinic.

The following veterinarians in Hawaii will treat rabbits.
Dr. Herzog
Makai Animal Clinic
420 Uluniu Street
Kailua, Hawaii 96734
(808) 262-9621
4640 Lower Kula Road
Kula, Maui, Hawaii 96790
(808) 876-1000
Mililani Town Center Pet Clinic
95-1249 Meheula Parkway, B-13
Mililani, HI 96789
(808) 625-6744
Dr. Karin Fujitani
Aloha Animal Hospital Associates, Inc.
4224 Wai'alae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 734-2242

Pipp wrote:
If you can get a list of vets together, you can offer to do some promotional work, this forum will give the clinic a big thanks, and I'm sure we can round up a bunch of likes and shares on Facebook.

This should be treatable without general anesthetic, a local can likely suffice, making it reasonably inexpensive for the clinic to treat.

You can always offer to wash their cars or help around the clinic.

We're offering to help already as per above, and at least one forum member has offered a loan.

So far I'm not seeing much of a commitment from the owner, hopefully she'll respond to this.

sas :(

Oh, okay, I was under the impression we were just giving her information to follow up on. I am sure she is busy at work and will check in when she can. I would like to help any way that I can as far as calling around for her.

I hope she checks RO soon :?

Julie, anything you can do to help the rabbit would be great, I just don't know if she's called around or not.

She said she talked to a vet on the phone last night, so I'm assuming at least one vet is in the loop.

Just hard to go ahead without knowing what's already been done. Hopefully she can update soon!

Hey i'm so sorry with this late reply.

But theres an update on her. She's been a little down, and she has been making weird noises with her teeth like shes grinding on them. I gave her some apple because her stools are coming out yucky. But i will post 2 more pictures and show the "string-like" that is dangling from one side of her wound to the other.

I noticed this morning that shes been chewing on it and its dangling even more.

I kept her in my room lastnight, and slept with her.

I'm trying to make her eat right now,but she doesnt want to. But she did eat her apples and her pellets lastnight.

I'm calling other vets off this island because apparently the vets here say "I don't know" and i want a vet to say that they do know what this is. I want to know exactly what this is.

So i'm gonnah try to make phone calls on other islands & in the mainland(oh boy, my phone bill is going up this month! but its worth it).

I just hope she will be okay :(

I'm actually going to take her to another vet on a different island. Unfortunately, its cheaper to fly to a different island and go to a vet there than spend 10 dollars on gas here and pay for a vet. Thats how expensive vets are here. :((

But Thank you all so much for your advice and comfort, i really appreciate it. I'm sorry for the late replys, but i had to work extra hours to get the money. I'm getting paid today, and working over-time.

Tooth grinding is a sign of pain. Rabbits won't eat when they are in pain, then you have to add the risks of stasis. I'm not a vet, but I'm guessing there is necrotic tissue, as mentioned before, and she is trying to get rid of it. It needs to be surgically removed. Any vet will not be able to tell you over the phone what it is, they will have to see her. Best of luck.

This is her gash:
ResizedImage_1313775855946.jpg

& this is the "string-like" thing thats hanging. I took this picture this morning, she looks down :(

ResizedImage_1313775838702.jpg

she is such a sweet bunny, why does this have to happen to HER? :(

The vet told me that it could be a vein or arterie, but theres no blood running through it?

Back