Huge abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually contacted the lady I got Daisy fromand I still need to check if she has responded. I have one otheroption, there is a dr where a friend of mine works that strictly seesrabbits, so I will probably set up an appt and see what she thinks ofthe rads. Thank for the reassurance on what I am doing is the rightthing. I'll keep you guys posted!:hug2:

I know what you are going through. My old bunnyhad a abcess like that in the exact same place when he was 5 years old.The first vet we spoke to thought it might be best to puthimto sleep with the argument - "He is 5 years old after alland bunnies get about 5-6 years old, so we can say he has lived hislife". The vet also said that it is great risk that it will come back.

The bun was the love of my life so I insisted in a operation. He gotthe pus drained out and then he had a big open wound for quite a while,during that time it needed to be cleaned once a day and he needed totake painkillers and antibiotics.. It WAS terrible, I heard him shatterhis teeth in pain by night and all I could do was to give himpainkillers and just have him close to me.. Neither of us could sleepmuch.

But! He got well! And he lived to be almost 9 years old. I'm still kindof mad at the first vet for proposing euthanasia so lightly.. And Istill feel amazed that my bun let me clean his wound, it hurt ofcourse,but it was as if he knew it helped him.. :rose:

Thank you so much for letting me know. I alwaysgive me a ray of hope when I hear stories with good outcomes. I justhope this little guy gets better as well

Beau didn't have an abscess but had bad molars and saw an animal dentist

My friend in Chicago has a bunny with a bad jaw abscess right now. Thisis what has been going on. !st treatment was to open andimplant beads and give baytril. Vet said that molars were badand abscess was probably due to infected teeth and roots, however, hedid not feel that the teeth could be pulled. He said that her jaw wasnot in good condition (possibly bone infection from the abscess.)

Abscess improved, disappeared and then re-appeared

He referred her to Midwest Exotics in the Chicago suburbs.

Next week Sweet Pea will have a procedure called marsupialization(opening abscess and making a pouch out of it) possibly pulling the badteeth and I think beingplaced on bicillin.

Sweet pea does not have a good prognosis because this whole situationis considered difficult but I'll keep everyone up-dated because itmight help bbgrl

Thank you , I would really appreciate that.Knowing another rabbit with a bad abscess survive and live happily iswhat I would love to hear. Keep us updated please angieluv.I send myluck to your friend

Latest posts

Back