Hubby's question about litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
My husband is going to make me my new litterbox, Stormhaven Litter System :biggrin2:
But while looking at the plans he wanted to know why I couldn't use clumping cat litter in it. At first I was like - no way! But he started asking why and I had to do some research.

Cat litter is a no no because of the dust and zinc toxicity if the rabbit eats it, correct? If there is a barrier over the litter the rabbit can't eat it or stir up the dust so it would be safe? The litter would be unscented. That is my husband's line of thinking and I have to admit it is very tempting. I would love to be able to scoop the pee daily and not have to throw away most of the litter each cleaning. It would be cheaper, and be cleaner because of the ability to scoop daily.

Now don't worry, my bun is using wood pellets. But I would like to know if anyone here that is rabbit savvy has tried this, given it thought or anything like that. I will err on the side of caution but that doesn't stop my hubby from harping on it:p

With the wood pellet litter, you can scoop out the wet litter. It is easier of your rabbit does use one area of the box to pee. You can also sift out the good stuff and the wet stuff ends up in a bag if you use a cat litter scoop. To do this, get a scoop of the litter and gently shake it over the garbage bag, the dry stuff will stay in the scoop and the wet stuff ends up in the bag. If your rabbit does use just one area of the box, you can just scoop that area as best as you can.

If you are buying a big bag of the wood pellets, don't use a lot in the cage and scoop the wet stuff, it should last a while. A 35 pound bags can last me about 2 months with 4 rabbits and 4 litter boxes. I only use enough to just cover the bottom of the litter box and that can last almost a week in some of the boxes. The bag costs about $6.50.

I don't know what the cost of the cat litter is. I would still avoid using clumping litter. I would think that unless the cat litter is much cheaper or significantly easier for you, then I would just keep using the wood pellets.

I can't imagine that clumping cat litter is cheaper than a $5-6 40lb bag of wood stove pellets - especially because WSP only need to be put down in a very very thin layer on the bottom of the litter box. A 40lb bag of cat litter costs at least 3 times as much, from what I can tell, and you need to put down a deeper layer.

I never though of scooping it and filtering the "icky" stuff into a bag! That is a good solution. I hate wasting the litter.

I do use just a thin layer of the pellets in the box and do a change out once a week. I'll try out the scoop over a bag method - it will be nice to be able to "spot clean" the box like I can with my cat's box.

Yeah, I definitely think you could make it work and come up with a solution that was still cheaper and just as easy as what you do for your kitties.

The main problem with clumping cat litter is just that: it clumps. If a bunny eats it, it can clump up in the intestines and cause an obstruction. It also sucks away moisture from the intestines which makes it move through slower. If you can avoid the dust and make sure that they will not eat the litter, it would be ok to use. I also worry though, sometimes, about the strange chemicals they use in cat litter--a more natural clumping litter would be better than one with all the crazy perfumes and dyes.

I agree about the crazy perfumes and dyes. I always get the unscented. Cats are very picky about strong smells and I can't imagine my cats using a box that smelled like lavender!

Don't worry, I am sticking with the wood pellets - I am going to try that scooping idea though. Is it wrong to be excited about scooping poop?

Is it wrong to be excited about scooping poop? <-- lol that's great! i have to agree the idea sounds pretty good!!! keep us informed!!

I myself use Critter Litter for my bunny. It is some amazing stuff. I am not sure how well it works with scooping, since we just replace with fresh litter once a week. I think I read that they make a smaller version of it than I use which may be easier to scoop out.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
With the wood pellet litter, you can scoop out the wet litter. It is easier of your rabbit does use one area of the box to pee. You can also sift out the good stuff and the wet stuff ends up in a bag if you use a cat litter scoop. To do this, get a scoop of the litter and gently shake it over the garbage bag, the dry stuff will stay in the scoop and the wet stuff ends up in the bag. If your rabbit does use just one area of the box, you can just scoop that area as best as you can.

Just wanted to update on this, I have been scooping the wood pelleted litter since I read this and it works wonderfully. No more litter box smell and I only dump and scrub the whole box once a week.

Thanks much for the advice!

yea it took me awhile to learn how to sift the woodstove pellets too:)...now i just use a small shovel for gardening and scoop out the part of the pellets that they pee in ..since they norm pee in one area of the box..i just shovel that section out.

Latest posts

Back