Hubby sprayed ant killer......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
The rabbits are OK as they didn't have access to that area yet.
We have fenced area - a good piece of the yard - where our rabbits can run and play. They were indoors due to very hot weather when I saw hubby spraying ants with the ant killer. He was spraying outside of the rabbits' area, then he sprayed a little inside too. I will not discuss his idiotic action, I wonder what I should do now. I flushed that area with water from the hose, but could even spread poison on my shoes when I entered inside the rabbit's area. Any suggestions?

Make him relocate the rabbit area, is my 1st response, though it sounds like virtually everything was sprayed as much or more.

Is there anywhere else you can house them? I'd even do it in the basement rather than back out there. I don't know how long that stuff lasts. I myself wouldn't risk it until next spring. If the spraying was just near the rabbits' area, I'd want to wait at least a month. But I wouldn't have a spray-type ant killer around, rabbits or no rabbits. There are natural controls that aren't toxic & carcinogenic.

What type was it?
We have Raid here for crawling insects, that kills ants, cockroaches, etc.
But, on the bottle it says that it protects against insects for a week. This gives me the impression that it would be fine after a week, but like LakeCondo said, I'd probably give it a lot more time.

:yeahthat:

Find the container!!....even if you have to dive in the garbage to get the empty one.

From there you can go online and look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). It will give you more detailed information than is on the container.

There should also be a toll free number on the container to call if there's an accidenal poisoning. CALL THEM! They'll be able to give you detailed information about how it may affect the buns, how long to wait before it's safe, cross-contamination (tracking it in with your shoes), etc.

Then shake your finger vigorously at hubby and say, "NO!...NO!...Bad hubby!!" :nonono:

:pray:

These poisons are so bad for the environment, get in the water supply, etc that I reserve them for things like wasp nests.

For things like ants, there are good suggestions at tipnut.com/ant-killer and another at naturalantkiller.blogspot.com.

Tipnut.com gives suggestions on lots of topics.

There was a comment on their site concerning cats coming in contact with it, and itsaid it was safe as long as it was completely dry.

However, I wouldn't let the bunnies back in the area until you talk to someone at the company first.

Latest posts

Back