Howdy! - New bunny owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baaiileeyy

Reaction score
Howdy everyone!

My name is Bailey, and I am currently attending college at Texas A&M University. I stumbled upon this site while looking for some bunny tips, and I have to admit everyone seems super friendly and welcoming!

I just recently brought my first rabbit home, and I have to admit I am in love! Her name is Oakley, and she's a sweet little Polish dwarf that I got from a local breeder. I've wanted a rabbit for quite some time now and when the opportunity presented itself, it just felt like the right time!

I've owned small pets before. I actually have two chinchillas and I currently work at a PetSmart, so this isn't completely new to me! :) That being said, I haven't had too much experience with bunnies before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I want this sweet little girl to have a great home with me. So I am open to as much advice as you can throw at me!

Thanks and Gig Em!

PS: Wrote a super short intro, then realized I never even said anything about myself!

photo 2.PNG

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 chinchillas too! And your bunny is fricking cutee!! My bunny wasn't that small when I got her but i gave her lots of hay and 1/2 cup of pellets then i started introducing a little bit of veggies. Now she rarely eats pellets, she eats hay and veggies. She was in a cage and i would let her play for 4 hours then she would go back in the cage, i tried to litter box train her, but that didn't work out so well, but once she got a little older she started to catch on. And i bought bedding for her cage. Then i upgraded her to a metal fence-like thing in my room because in her cage she would make a lot of noises and she would dig like crazy! So i couldn't sleep. Also, be sure to be around her a lot, so she's used to you or else she'll grow up being anti-social and don't forget to have your bunny spayed/neutered, it changes everything (in a good way!) Bunnies are awesome and you'll have lots of fun! :hearts :hearts :wave:

I have 2 chinchillas too! And your bunny is fricking cutee!!

Oh that's awesome! What a coincidence! :) And thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice!

I have an appointment with my vet to see about getting her fixed. I've heard its one of the best things you can do for them for several different reasons!

Oh that's awesome! What a coincidence! :) And thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice!

I have an appointment with my vet to see about getting her fixed. I've heard its one of the best things you can do for them for several different reasons!
no problem!!! Haha i know right? And i got my Chinchillas from Pet Smart! I'm jealous you have a white one, that's so cool! haha have fun with your new bunny! :hug:

Welcome to RO! You have a cutie there!

Well, rabbits should have unlimited water and hay. And they should have unlimited pellets until they reach 7 months old. You can keep rabbits indoors and outdoors, but indoors is the best choice. Rabbits need at least 3 hours of exercise per day. And rabbits are very social animals so it would be best if you spent a lot of time with her. Its also best to get her fixed.

Sorry if my post bore you :). And those are just basic needs for a rabbit. I suggest you get the book Rabbits For Dummies, I have that book and it is really good. It tells you about hundreds of sicknesses rabbits can get and it also tells you what to do about them. It has everything you need to know.

Sorry if my post bore you :). And those are just basic needs for a rabbit.

Not boring at all! Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that book! I've been trying to sneak a peak at the ones we have at PetSmart while I'm on break, but it would be nice to buy a book that I know helped someone else. :)

Hey! I am from Houston area! Welcome! You have an adorable bunch there! I love how the chinchilla has a crazy amount of whiskers lol!

Crosby in the house! Good thing my dad doesn't know how to get on this site otherwise he'd be pawning my guys off on you!

Last edited:
Dot worry he wouldn't be able to bc my dad would flip (he's such a two faced terd, he says "no mo' bunnies!" Then he brought me home a rabbit yesterday! Lol! Goofy man!)

Welcome to the forum! What a cute bun! You didn't happen to get her from my mom (vicki) or a girl named Lela with natty dwarfs rabbitry did you? I ask because she attends TAMU and was selling pet polish

Welcome aboard. Looks like others covered the nutrition bits. I think my only words of wisdom would be to be patient. I am sure with having chinchillas you have already gained patience with prey creatures. I think their personality really comes through when they trust you and let their "hare" down.

Hi and welcome, your bun looks like a real sweety :) As do the chinchillas.

Welcome! Your little bun is so adorable glad you found us here. I have found to have learned SO much more on this site than any book or pet store could ever tell me. Lots of great help here so ask away.

Love your chins too. I've had 3 in my lifetime, none now as this was years ago. I love your lighter one...I can't remember what the colors were called but that one is gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back