How worried should I be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
I guess I'll actually have the answer to that in an hour or two, but I wanted to talk to you all about it.
I got up for work this morning. When I get up, Bugsy and Groucho get super excited because they know they will get their pellets. They rattle the cage door and run around and it is adorable. This morning, only Bugsy got excited. I was immediately concerned because Groucho is my little piggy. I went to pick him up from the corner litter pan where they like to sleep (I don't put litter in it). Normally, he kicks, runs away, and thumps. He didn't this time. He let me pick him up. His bottom was covered in urine. I got a wet paper towel and wiped him up. He didn't object. I knew something was really wrong. He just wasn't himself. So, I called out of work and took him to the vet where I had Bugsy shaved. While waiting to go in, he snuggled with me and let me rub his nose. He normally hates that. It usually gets squirms and thumps. We went in and they weighed him. He came to me and put his paws on me so I'd pick him up. We had more waiting and he snuggled and purred. He climbed on me again after a doctor did a cursory exam. The bunny savvy doctor would not be in until 10 or 11. They will call me. I'm worried sick. Will he be ok?

:sickbunny:

:pray: Thinking of you and Groucho.

I've had times where Felix was not himself - lethargic, quiet, let me pick him up without any fuss. He recovered completely after a couple of days, and I blamed it on a potential injury from some rough handling (not approved by me!!) the day before.

I haven't had an experience like that but I do hope he will be fine. I hope the rabbit savvy vet helps you find out what is wrong. You are doing your best too take care of him. Please let us know what you find out.

Aww, I'm so sorry Groucho is out of sorts. Really hoping that the vet can find what's wrong and help him on his way to feeling better. But you're very observant for picking up on the signs and dedicated to their care for calling out of work so you can get him cared for. :)

Best wishes from Bandit and I.

I really hope Groucho is okay. I'm glad your vets practice has a rabbit savvy vet who will hopefully know what is wrong and help Groucho out. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and special loving snuggles from Gandalf (whenever I'm upset he gets really close to my face and chatters in my ear almost like he's trying to soothe me)

I'm a mom with my first two bunny girls but it sounds like you were very observant & caught on early that Groucho wasn't his usual self. Hopefully you did catch it early & the bunny knowledgeable vet will also catch the problem early & get Groucho on the road back to better bunny health & his old self soon. Waiting & praying with you for your update soon from the vet. I had a scare myself awhile back with my Hope. I was terrified leaving her with our vet & then when they said she could come home I was so nervous that I would either do something wrong or not be able to do what needed to be done. She survived my worrying over her while trying to take care of her. She has since recovered & is still up to her own little bunny mischief! Hope Groucho will be up to it soon too!

Aww, I do hope Groucho feels better very soon. You are a great bun Mom for taking off from work and seeking vet help. Keep us posted.

The vet called at 1:45, after observing him for a few hours. He behaved just fine. He ate and pooped and his poops are good. We are home now. Groucho hopped out of the carrier and under the couch, where he likes to hide. He didn't want attention, which is much more like him. It is too bad though. I liked snuggling with him this morning, even though I was terribly worried about him. I hoped he'd stay more snuggly.
I do like this vet office. They take care of everything! Someone brought lizards in while I was waiting to get Groucho. The staff was very knowledgeable about each animal that came in. They are very good and less expensive than I expected. The visit today was $53.
:happybunny:

That's awesome, I'm glad he's feeling better. I wish I had your vet! Ours here are so expensive, $80 just for a consultation.

Hooray & thanks for the update! Glad everything is okay! Wow! Wish my vet charges were that low! If it weren't for the long flight I would send my buns to visit your vet for their next checkup! lol Okay, it would be a bit more expensive to fly me & my bunny girls to visit your vet but depending on what's done not much more! $80 just to walk in the vet office. Even at my vet prices, yes, to me it would be worth it to know my baby(s) are okay.

Oh good! Glad that he is alright. Now you can relax :)

Great news, sounds just like what happened to Bandy a couple of weeks ago, same scenario, urine on fur and a piggy not wanting food so knew someting was wrong. I ended up staying up all night looking after him and he was fine by the morning. It is so important to know their habits and spot things early. It is a relief when they get back to normal :)

Latest posts

Back