how will the following veges do for my rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyrenze

Reaction score
I have these veges available in my fridge most of the time as they are part of my guinea pig's diet. i do feed veges to my rabbits, but I have been sticking to about 3 types only and would like to extend their vege diet.

Brocolli
Celery
Green, red, yellow peppers
Corriander
Brussel sprouts
Cucumber
Cherry tomatoes
Cabbage
Sweet potato leaf
Choy Sum (local vegetable)
Water spinach (local vegetable)

Are all of these ok for bunnies? I know that brocolli , cabbage and brussel sprouts can be gassy and should be fed sparingly but not sure about the rest of those.

Besides that I do give my guinea pigs and rodents rolled oats and oat branas well. Are those ok for bunnies as treats?

right about broccoli, cabbage, etc.
green, red, and yellow peppers are good as long as they're sweet bell peppers--not the spicy kind!
i don't know about tomatoes, your local veggies, or sweet potato leaf. i think the sweet potato leaf is bad.
is corander the same thing as cilantro? i think it is--and if so, it's good. my Tony loves it--that was dinner tonight and he was jumping for joy.

I don't really care for any of those to feed buns. Tomato is basically considered a fruit, too much sugar. Cucumber? Not much in that, and has seeds:?.

I'm sorry, but I can get you a list, a good one too. I think Romaine, Parsley, Cilantro, Dandelion Greens, and say Bok Choy are good ones. Never tried Bok Choy though:?. Let me get you a "safe" list, it has more on it to go by, and I find it more sparing, ya know? I'm glad you understand about Broccoli, Cauliflower and such can cause gas. It's sorta touch and go with a newer bun too, to see how they handle new veggies. Good going!

Edit:

Okay, I'm just going to add the entire section we have on veggies, here. That way, you can read posts, and read different sites within the thread and get an overall view.;)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

I hope this helps you:hug:. Let me know what you think:).

I just found out that coriander is cilantro, lol. Thanks for the advice and links, I have gone through a few websites but certain veggies like Dandelion Greens for example are not available locally here or they are available under local names. Its a bit hard to figure out sometimes. I am able to get Parsley and Bok Choy though, will add that to my list. Parsley and cilantro are quite similar aren't they?

As for Kale and Collard Greens i tried my best to find out what is it locally but the only thing we have similaris Chinese Kale which isn't quite the same but its of the same family as Collard Greens.

Brocolli - Bunbuns eats this sparingly
Celery - Bunbuns eats this sparingly

Green, red, yellow peppers
Corriander
Brussel sprouts
Cucumber - Bunbuns eats this sparingly
Cherry tomatoes
Cabbage
Sweet potato leaf
Choy Sum (local vegetable)
Water spinach (local vegetable)

And the veggies in red i have never tried..

-April and Bunbuns

Brocolli gassey veggie, only feed a little at a time until you know how your bun reacts to it

Celery if you feed them this, stick to the leafy ends, and cut up stalks into small peices, the fibers in them can cause problems

Green, red, yellow peppers winnie loves peppers, but be carefull with acidic fruits and veggies as they can cause soars in the mouth

Corriander never gave my buns corriander/cilantro, it isn't bad for them, the smell of it just makes me sick

Brussel sprouts another gassey food. winnie actually won't eat these little guys, that last time i tried to give her some she picked them up off her veggie plate set them on the floor, and kept on eating

Cucumber not only are the seeds a factor, but they are rather high in water content, i always try to base what veggie's winnie gets as how nutritionally sound they are for her. what is the point of wasting my money on cucumber when she gets more out of dandelion greens?

Cherry tomatoes another acidic veggies. although they do tend to love them! winnie loves to eat tomatoes

Cabbage see broccolli

Sweet potato leaf i think that this is bad for them. i will have to look around to find out the true answer, but i would say a no go on the sweet potato leaf

Choy Sum (local vegetable) once in a while choy sum is avalible around here, and i have givin it to winnie before, i have had no ill effects

Water spinach (local vegetable) no clue! sorry!

okay, first i am going to give you the link to the bunny 101 veggies page, sometimes we all forget just how much information is on this website, and i just want to make sure you get this link:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

now here is a link (that i found in the bunny 101 veggie's page) that talks about asian veggies:

http://www.rosybunny.com/veggielist_eng.htm

hopefully that helps! just to note that winnie loves mustard greens she goes crazy for them whenever i bring them home! she also really like baby bok choy (or just the regular stuff)!

some other greens that i tend to stick with are basil, parsley, dandelion greens, leave lettuce, bibb lettuce, and dill. that is what makes up about 75% of winnies daily greens

hope this helps!

katie

ah the 2nd link with the Asian veggies has my water spinach, lol. Its a popular dish here and is very good to eat. I bought some bok choy and parsley for my rabbits yesterday. Only one of them would eat the prasley, but both loved the bok choy

Sweet potato leaves are just fine to eat. I quote from an encyclopedia website:

"Sweet potato leaves are a common side dish in Taiwanese cuisine, often boiled with garlic and vegetable oil and dashed with salt before serving. They are commonly found at biàndāngrestaurants, as well as dishes featuring the sweet potato root. The young leaves and vine tips of sweet potato leaves are widely consumed as a vegetable West African countries (Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia for example). According to FAO leaflet No. 13 - 1990, sweet potato leaves and shoots are a good source of vitamins A, C, and B2 (Riboflavin), and according to research done by A. KHACHATRYAN, are an excellent source of lutein."

The problem with a lot of the lists thrown around on the net these days is that they mainly are from local sources, specifically North America and Western Europe. There are lots more greens available in other parts of the world, that are just as edible but aren't on the list because the list maker doesn't know thaey excist.
However, some research on the web usually brings up atleast some information. A good source also would be your local university, particularly the agriculture, food, and botany departments.

But, as with ALL greens that your bunny is not used to eating, try new veggies one at a time, a little bit at first, and see how they react. Just because one bun can eat a green and be fine with it, doesn't mean yours will tolerate that same green. Also the other way round... some buns do just fine with broccoli and cabbages, others have problems with them.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the other people's comments because Sweet potato leaves is a recommended vegetable for guinea pigs , so I was wondering why is apparently bad for rabbits. Yes, we do eat this often here, being Asian, and it does taste delicious!

Latest posts

Back