How to win a bunnys heart?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostrabbitfound

Reaction score
Can someone please translate this bunny language for me :biggrin:.. i'm not sure if this bun likes me, or hates me :sigh:

This particular bunny is young, approx 8 weeks, and has not had much human interaction. When I approach his hutch his cowers into his sheltered sleeping end away from me. After a few minutes of sticking my hand in and opening the hutch door he will approach my hand and start licking it (borderline nibbling). However he does not like me touching him and will tolerate minimum head stroking :(

Does it sound like he is accepting of me because of the licking? is he trying to groom/clean me? when I offer him hay from my hand he will eat it. Should I just pick him up and lay him on me for an hour or so a day or will this make things worse (as in, make him cower away from me more)?

As far as the licking...it depends...

Young buns taken from momma too soon will often lick as a natural urge. But besides that licking can be seen as a way of bunny "grooming" you.

Bonding with a bunny can take time. I'm from the mindset that you "ignore" bunny to get them to trust you.

Give bunny some free run in a bunny proofed room. Sit on the floor. Let bunny come up to you and smell you but do not reach out to pet or pick up just yet. Read, watch TV, just ignore bunny.....:)

Go in slow increments. Then, when not in free run, let bunny just be in his cage and let him watch you going about your normal life. Talk softly.

As bunny begins to trust you more and more, increase to petting more, picking up etc. At 8 weeks old he has definite potential to bond with you. I think the key is giving them their space when they want it, not rushing things and being patient.

Good luck!

Thank you! Do you think at 8 weeks old he was too young to leave his mother? I am not certain of his exact age as he came from a farmer with over 50+ rabbits, he was from one of the latest litters. I think he could be anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks of age.

Another question.. I opened bunnys hutch and he hopped onto my lap after a few minutes (yay!) so I placed him on the lounge with me while I quietly watched TV. He was licking my hand for at least 20 minutes, he would also stop in between to clean himself so i'm assuming thats what he was trying to do all along.. clean me :D
he was also climing up toward my face/shoulders and trying to nibble on my nose and lips.. is that normal "baby" behaviour? he was nudging me constantly too. I'm just wondering if by him not being too keen on me scratching his head (cleaning him), and him constantly licking me (cleaning me) that he is trying to show dominance over me? Im confused haha.

Here he is... my husband bought him as a surprise for me yesterday as he knows i've been wanting a mini lop :)

licking me
20120802_143932.jpg

and again
20120802_143039.jpg

posing nicely this time
20120802_143217.jpg

Great update! The nudging with his nose is what bunnies do when their like 'mum, stroke me, stroke me!' The nibbling has the same meaning as the licking, it's what bunnies do to each other when grooming each other. I wouldn't call it 'normal' as bunnies are all different in their personalities, so one bun can love licking/kissing you but another bun won't. But they are all really good signs! He's gorgeous by the way! :)

Aww he is just adorable!

8 weeks is not too young to be away from their momma I just wasnt sure if he was taken before that and you didn't know.....?

It sure sounds like the bonding is going great. His actions seem pretty normal. I just would continue at a patient pace with him.

As far ad the nudging, yes that sounds like it's a pet me nudge. Agnes does that to me all the time! Sometimes bunnies can nudge to say "get out of my way or leave me alone" but doesn't seem like the case here.

Bunnies to nibble/bite to groom, show affection and get your attention. However, it probably is a good habit to deter. Bunnies do need to know that their human slaves don't have fur so biting can hurt!

Start by NOT rewarding biting. In other words, don't give attention or a head rub after a bite. It teaches them they get what they want by biting. You can also make an high pitched eeek noise to let them know it hurts and also push their head down (what momma buns do to their kits) I've done all these techniques with Agnes and she learned very quickly that biting is not the way to go :)

Good luck!

Aww, thank you!

I am definately going to try making the EEK sound and pushing his head down! So glad you mentioned that. He is warming up to me much better now! he hops onto my lap every time I open his hutch :D

Now.. I need a name for him lol, anyone have any suggestions?

Don't you think that the rabbit is the most lovely animals ?I do love rabbit very much and I'm here just want to make more friends who have the same hobby with me.Thank you very much.

lostrabbitfriend: your rabbit likes you. That is what the licking means. Also the nudging is that he wants attention. So when he nudges you, pet him.

Sweetie licked me the first time I got her and she still does. She even gives me bunny kisses on my nose.

Your rabbit is bonding with you quickly, which is a good thing. Sweetie bonded with me quickly and she is still bonded with me even after losing her bondmate, Prince.

You are doing good, keep it up.

From my experience with baby bunnies (lots), they will at some point not lick you anymore. It is really cute while it lasts and is a surprise at first. She is really cute.

Becky is 6 and she still covers me in kisses. Cinderella was 8 when she passed and she was a kisser as well. The other buns will give a quick lick once in a while. It all depends on their personality if they will continue to groom you or not.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with your cutie. :inlove:

Back