How to tell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
My flemish was breed on the 22 of Aug. so she is due in a few days. I can't feel any babies in her, not that she lets me feel her too much. I don't want to upset her by forcing the issue. she does have a huge belly andI noticeda few days ago that she has nipples. Would she get nipples if she wasn't pregnant? I gave her a box today and she has made a nest but not pulling hair yet.People are also telling me that she will get a big neck? this would be our first litter and although I've done a lot of reading there is nothing said about a big neck. thanks.

I'm not so certain on the big neck information either, I've never heard or witnessed that. Maybe some of the more experienced breeders can give you more information.

If the bun won't let you feel for buns, then you can try to watch for wiggles and movement in her belly. I have always been able to see babies doing summer saults and wiggles in the last week of pregnancy. Just wait for mom to stretch out on her side or tummy, and watch her lower sides care fully. It will almost look like little waves or ripples in her tummy.

You can also feel them moving at this age as well. If mom will let you put your hand gently on her side, then you may feel the babies.

Building a nest at this time is a very good sign. Don't worry about the fur pulling as all does are different. Some pull upto a week early, and others pull right before they give birth.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

--Dawn

I wonder if people are trying to talk about the dewlap that some rabbits get? That might explain their comments about the neck...especially since flemish get a nice dewlap (or at least Tiny has one).

Many does won't pull fur until they're close to delivery - others will pull fur earlier. Miss Bea (who has had three litters) usually winds up shredding things and nesting about 2 hours before she delivers and then looks at me frantically as if to say, "Why didn't you TELL ME it was this close?". Well duh.....its her body!

Good luck with the litter - let us know how many you have and how things go. I really do think though, considering that you have a flemish - that folks were talking about the dewlap which really isn't related to birth (that I know of) - since my neutered buck Tiny has one and he's a purebred flemish.

Peg

I just came in from checking on Mama Peach and she has now flattened her nest out, she is in her box looking all pleased with herself. I guess i'll know in a couple of days if she just needs to go on a diet.I really hope she took this time. She is now8mths. She's ate her carrot and trying to figure out how to get her neighbour's

518100_6752-med.JPG

I am not criticizing - honestly - ok?But I thought flemish shouldn't be bred till they were 9 or 10 months old...or even later than that. Am I wrong?

I know that the larger the breed of rabbit - the longer you should wait for them before breeding.....

Peg

Her age is a guess, the breeder I got her from didn't keep good records and could not tell me her actual DOB, she is somewhere in between 8 and 10 mths.I go with the youngest possible age.I was told conflicting ages to start breeding her, 8mths, 9mths, 1 year and one breeder told me to breed her at 14weeks.:shock: She said if I didn't then mama peach would never conceive due to fat build up. I thought 14 weeks was a little young. Mostly from what I've read and was told most breeders start their Flemish does at 8mths, at least here in Ontario.

Latest posts

Back