How to tell that a bunny has been spayed? (behavior-wise)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkie2

Reaction score
When I got Rabbi recently, we could not find a scar mark from being spayed. She was a stray found on the side of the road, so we have no indication of whether or not she was spayed or exactly how old she is.
I'm a bit confused because twice she thought my leg was a boy rabbit and commenced nature acts, but this seemed to be an isolated incident and she is the most calm and collected rabbit in the world. She has free range of my room and does not chew on a single wire, spray, and goes 98% in the litter box.
Any definitive answers?

As i wrote this she just flopped over on her side on top of my feet. Cute overload haha

It's quite hard to tell much by behaviour. You can have intact rabbits that are perfect with litter habits and neutered ones that are terrible with them. Neutered rabbits can still hump, but it is more for dominance than mating, but you can sort of tell the difference when they are humping and only then if she is wanting to breed and is lifting. You usually won't see a scar anyway as they tend to heal really well and since stitches are not usually used, it is hard to tell.

Since she was found on the side of the road, it would be more likely that she is intact. However, you can't really be sure.

You can try monitoring her behaviour, especially around other rabbits, to see if you can try to tell if she is intact or not.

A vet might be able to palpate to see if there is anything there.

I tried the vet route - She wasn't much help. I was advised that the only way to figure it out was to proceed with a spay and if she was already spayed, they would find out then. I am just trying to find any alternatives if they exist.

Back