How to tame your bunny well ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini lop luva

Reaction score
I had my baby rabbit forabout 2 months now, i having trouble with her when she on the floor itry to pick her up she runs away i dunnoh if she playing or what but ithard to catch her she looks scared i want to play with her on the floorget her to trust me she ok when i hadle her but not on the floor but myother rabbit fine help ?

Some rabbits do not like heights and don't like to be handled.

I have the same problem with Poppy, but when I'm on the floor she is completely different.

After 2 months with a rabbit, we cannot expect them to be like our older buns.

Every rabbit has its own personality, and will not necessarily have the same wants and needs as the others.

Some rabbits take longer to be handled, if at all.

I have a 3-month old bunny at home.She is still very skittish when I hold her. This is somethingI too need to work with her on. You have to keep in mind, asZee stated above, that rabbits are afraid of heights and consideringyour bunny is very young, she has not learned to trust youyet. My advice would be to hold her at least twice a day forabout a minute at a time. Make sure you hold her correctly,with one hand on her belly and the other supporting her feet.You need to feel confident with her, as she can sense if you arescared. Hold her firmly, but not too tight, pet herhead,and talk to her in a soft voice to calm herdown. She will eventually, in time, trust you more.

As far as running away from you while on the floor, I have a 2 year oldthat still runs away from me. :p Myadvice: think like a rabbit. What I do iscornerher, sit still, and quickly and CAREFULLY grab and holdher by the neck (so she can't move). It sounds mean, but it'snot if done properly. This is to be done as swiftly andCAREFULLY as possible. You do not want to hurt her.Or else you could get a net. I know that some people findthat helpful.

Lissa an Zee gave good advice. I would just keeptrying. Devon always runs away when I try to pick him up, some bunniesjust don't like being held.

Rue hates being picked up. i try not to, andgetting her back in the cage was soooo hard when i first got her. so istarted going behind her with a broom, not touching her, but putting itby her bum. and i only did this when it was time to go back in thecage. now when ever she sees the broom, she goes straight back into hercage. i think it's better for her to get that signal then me trying topick her up. (a magician owned her before, and i think he handled hervery badly)

to get her nails cut, i pick her up from inside the cage, and she hates it, but i give her lots of treats after.

Kweli my other rabbit i have had as a baby, and she gets picked upregularly for her to get accustomed to being held. but, she stilldoesn't like it very much... so I only hold her for a minute or two,like Lissa said.

good luck!

Nicole

Just a thought, to build trust, try hand-feeding :) She will come around.

My bunnies will always hop up to me when i go intheir run but if i'm going to pick them up they will always hop away, idon't know how but they always know? Maybe your bun will never likebeing picked up as my bunnies hate it but they can still be veryfriendly on the floor.:D

I agree. Mallory is about 3 months now and nowshe runs away really fast when I approach her. I think thatyounger rabbits eventually learn what it means. Like everyonesaid, time will tame her. Its just a stage.

Craisins have been my best friend when it comestime to catch Vicky....I shake that bag and she comes running over likea mad woman ...then I feed her one and pet her gently and she lets mepick her up and put her in the cage.

Back