How to stop a biting rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenie

Reaction score
I have read several threads on the topic of aggression, but none seem to address a bun that just runs up to you while you are sitting on the floor and starts attacking you, so I am starting a new one.

Pippin, an adolescent mini rex,has been at my home for about two weeks. He's in a NIC cage for a large majority of the day, and he comes out in the evening when I'm home. At first he was very friendly and pleasant and seemed to like being held, although I admit I haven't had a rabbit for several years and probably cannot gauge their behavior all that well.

Now-when he has free run of my room in the evenings he is aggressive and mean - he bites my arms and hands and attacks any part of my skin he can see. This behavior seems sporadic, sometimes he displays it, sometimes he doesn't. Most often it is when I am lying on the floor trying to get to know him.

I have tried squealing when he bites, but that hasn't stopped him, in fact he just latches on and tugs hard. I tried petting him despite the biting and he seemed surprised at this and just keeps attempting to catch my hand and resume his knawing. I've tried ignoring it and reacting to it - neither seem to have much effect.

I have several theories - but they are just theories. I don't understand bunny behavior aside from what I have read on several sites. Does he think I am a toy? He likes erasers but I am worried because he ingested oneso I have removed all of them from the room. I thought maybe heliked chewing on erasers/skin because they were similar??

I let his cage be his kingdom, but I wonder if he thinks the room is an extension of that and is just being territorial? He got out one day and left beans all over the place. I promptly picked them all up, but does he still think theroom is 'his'?Or is this just behavior that may stop when he is neutered? I am making him an appointment ASAP. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I am sorry this is such a long post... I am just at a loss and have done a lot of reading to no avail.

I think the fact he is not neutered is key. I had a vicious bun who used to randomly 'turn' and come up and attack me. He was nasty, really, very nasty, but after his neuter, when he settled, he was a different bun. Now he is anxious, but that is his personality, and I think his previous aggression covered his anxiety and that was his way of dealing with it.

How old is he? Can he be neutered yet?

I do not know how old he is, I actually got him from TSC, I know it isn't the best, but I fell in love with him. After he's neutered I am planning on getting another rabbit companion from a shelter. The TSC employees told me he might grow another inch but was probably at his maximum size. I need to take him to the vet anyway to get checked out. If he's almost full grown though, he should be old enough to neuter (assuming TSC is correct).

It might be worth getting him vet checked and seeing if they will neuter him. The sooner you curb the behvaiour the better.

My boy now has two girlfriends, and he is so much happier with them, especially as they are so confident, and it taught him lots of good habits, so getting him a friend would probably really help the situation once his hormones have died down.

You can neuter a bunny that isn't full grown. As long as the testicles have descended, they can be removed!

I hope the neuter helps, however, in my friend's case, her rabbit STILL Bites and he's been neutered for almost a year.:-( Hope it works out for you!

We had a mini rex that displays the same behavior. He only started the aggression after the neutering. Before the neutering, he loved to hop on us, lick us, and snuggle. After the neutering, he constantly attacked my girlfriend and exhibited the same behavior you have described. His behavior got so bad that we had to give him away.

I had a ND un-neutered for 3yrs.
After he got past his 1st.year, the biting did calm down some..and after 2yrs. it wasn't an issue (more nips than bites)...One-year olds are still teen-agers..prone to misbehaving and learning their boundries (just like the human ones, lol).

It sounds like these biting rabbits may just be asserting their displeasure. My guys only bite when they're upset. Tony and Muffin will jump on the couch and bite and dig on me if I have a blanket on me--they like to sit ON the couch and think it's their furniture. Frida is a big biter, but she does it to protect "her space" and to tell you she doesn't like being picked up. Petting on the underside of a rabbit will always earn you a bite--they do not like that.

To the OP: your bunny may just not be comfortable with you yet. We have a library article in Bunny 101 about bonding with your bunny. It may be best for you to just sit in the room and read a book or watch TV until he comes up to you. Pet him on the head, from nose toward the ears. You can do whole-body pets and maybe rub behind the ears once he's more comfortable. Many bunnies don't like to be petted against the grain, especially when they're still getting to know you. Also, it's really important to move slowly and be quiet around your bunny.

The biting behavior most often occurs when I am just sitting. I try to sit on the floor and read or write while he is busy running and hopping, and he will come up to me, but sometimes he will find my arms or hands uncovered and really try to bite. If he gets the opportunity he will latch on and tug. When I pull away he charges sometimes and grunts. Although he has done this somewhat less frequently since my original post. I am also wondering if I am in the way of his running and he wants me to move?

Thanks to everyone who left such quick replies! I will be taking him to the vet soon, but the closest rabbit savvy vet is 40 minutes away and will charge from 250-350 to neuter... so it will take me a little bit of time to come up with that.

I also had one that used to seek me out and pick a fight with any part of my body. There was nothing to indicate he was unhappy, in fact, I took this picture of him right before he came running over and started tearing holes in my legs.

DSCF2410.jpg

It could be displeasure for your bun that you are in the way, but it might also be that you are the target of adolescent frustrations.

IT's good you intend to get him neutered, hopefully that will really help with the behaviour. You will then be able to work out if it was hormones, or a behavioural thing, or something else, but even if it is not solely hormones, the neuter should ease it whatever the cause.

Latest posts

Back